Chicago, Cincinnati, or Philly?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which city has the best job outlook?

Chicago
68%
Philly
15%
Cincinnati
17%

Total votes: 60

JohnBlaze

Re: Chicago, Cincinnati, or Philly?

Postby JohnBlaze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:14 pm

superflush wrote:
JohnBlaze wrote:Temple has the third largest police force in the state of PA. You can look at that two ways: 1) Temple must be pretty scary to need all of those cops, or 2) Temple makes a significant effort to keep riff raff away from the school. Maybe it's a little bit of both. But Temple is by no means a war zone, and you don't have to dodge "gang-bangers and crackheads as you walk by the projects" like you have asserted in other posts. North Broad is not the Main Line. But it isn't Beirut, either.

A large police force doesn't impress me. The fact of the matter is that Philadelphia is the most dangerous city of 1million+ people, and that North Philly is one of the more dangerous parts of Philly. Most people on these forums don't come from crime-stricken areas and they deserve to have a good understanding of what an area is like

A "good understanding" would probably be based upon accurate representations of the actual conditions at Temple Law, which hardly adhere to your version of things.

Penn is in West Philly. West Philly is just as dangerous (if not moreso) than North Philly. So don't go there, Everybody. And Yale. Yale is in New Haven. New Haven has lots of poor people who want to rob you. Don't go there, either. USC? Forget it. UChicago? That's out, too. Your scaredy cat logic can be applied in an endless array of fun ways.

Where do you go to school, by the way? Full disclosure would require you to provide this information so that people can make a truly informed decision about whether or not to listen to your dumb ass-edness.

EDIT/POST-SCRIPT: I don't come from a crime-stricken area. In fact, I come from a place with almost no crime (I think one time when I was a kid someone smashed our mail box. And another time, my neighbor's dad argued real loud with his mom and the cops came. That was about it.). Somehow, I am managing to survive.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 pm

JohnBlaze wrote:A "good understanding" would probably be based upon accurate representations of the actual conditions at Temple Law, which hardly adhere to your version of things.

Penn is in West Philly. West Philly is just as dangerous (if not moreso) than North Philly. So don't go there, Everybody. And Yale. Yale is in New Haven. New Haven has lots of poor people who want to rob you. Don't go there, either. USC? Forget it. UChicago? That's out, too. Your scaredy cat logic can be applied in an endless array of fun ways.

Where do you go to school, by the way? Full disclosure would require you to provide this information so that people can make a truly informed decision about whether or not to listen to your dumb ass-edness.

EDIT/POST-SCRIPT: I don't come from a crime-stricken area. In fact, I come from a place with almost no crime (I think one time when I was a kid someone smashed our mail box. And another time, my neighbor's dad argued real loud with his mom and the cops came. That was about it.). Somehow, I am managing to survive.

eh, I don't think any of those comparisons really hold, except maybe New Haven.
University City has many parts that are pretty fine ... not to mention it has more commerce and is overall a much more enjoyable area. The area around USC (especially if you don't go south of the Coliseum) is fine. It is urban, but it is fine, and has a much lower crime rate than the area around Temple. I've never been to Hyde Park, but from how people who live in Chicago have explained to me, it sounds like Hyde Park is fine, but the area around it is fine. Maybe that isn't ideal, but its okay.
The problem with Temple isn't just that it is surrounded by bad neighborhoods, it is that the campus itself is a bad neighborhood. The shootings that occur on the campus speak to that.
Last edited by superflush on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

JohnBlaze wrote:Penn is in West Philly. West Philly is just as dangerous (if not moreso) than North Philly.

Ever been to North Philly? I mean don't get me wrong, some parts of West Philly are bad, but ALL of North Philly is a fucking ghetto.

JohnBlaze

Postby JohnBlaze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:03 pm

superflush wrote:eh, I don't think any of those comparisons really hold, except maybe New Haven.
University City has many parts that are pretty fine ... not to mention it has more commerce and is overall a much more enjoyable area. The area around USC (especially if you don't go south of the Colosseum) is fine. It is urban, but it is fine, and has a much lower crime rate than the area around Temple. I've never been to Hyde Park, but from how people who live in Chicago have explained to me, it sounds like Hyde Park is fine, but the area around it is fine. Maybe that isn't ideal, but its okay.
The problem with Temple isn't just that it is surrounded by bad neighborhoods, it is that the campus itself is a bad neighborhood. The shootings that occur on the campus speak to that.

Point is, you don't really know what you're talking about. Temple has done a lot to claim the neighborhoods around the campus. Like I said before, I don't feel even a little bit afraid walking from Broad (14th) St to 10th and Berks at midnight to catch a train. No-one that I know has had any problems coming or going from school. Reports of the imminent danger surrounding the Temple campus are seriously overblown. The scariest thing I have seen on the Temple campus was a hawk eating a squirrel in front of the library. Now that was pretty gruesome.

And you still haven't told us where you go to school. I bet it would be enlightening.

JohnBlaze

Postby JohnBlaze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:10 pm

ughOSU wrote:
JohnBlaze wrote:Penn is in West Philly. West Philly is just as dangerous (if not moreso) than North Philly.

Ever been to North Philly? I mean don't get me wrong, some parts of West Philly are bad, but ALL of North Philly is a fucking ghetto.

I try my best to make it to North Philly every day for class. I used to live at 15th and Girard and walked back and forth to campus everyday.

Almost all of Philly is block-to-block. People from Philly know that. I would never say that North Philly is Candyland, but superflush's craziness is overblown. And I don't even mind that, except that people who don't know better might take his hyperbole too seriously.

bryanl87

Postby bryanl87 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your helpful posts and ... arguments? Honestly, I'm not scared of getting shot or anything like that... I just don't like the racial tension because my undergrad wasn't very diverse and the community was really "foreign" to minorities. It wasn't unsafe or anything but rather a bit annoying.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone for providing such insightful information! I understand that in my original post, I said that I don't really care about the quality of life, but honestly, I don't want to be the only Asian attorney working around Cincinnati... If Shadowfrost000's comment about Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana is true, that might pose a problem with me attending Cincinnati... Can anyone verify this?

I have come down to this conclusion:

If I would choose solely on quality of life, Chicago

If I would choose solely on job prospect, Cincinnati

If I had to balance out quality of life and a good job prospect, I feel like Philly will be the place for me.

It sucks that Chicago is such a battle ground for law grads and Kent grads are struggling hard.

Oh, will it make a difference if I said that Kent is giving me $$ so each year i'll be paying 10k vs. Villanova (haven't heard anything about $$) vs. Cinci sticker?

Btw., what's with the discrepancy between the poll results and the replies? lol.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:34 pm

JohnBlaze wrote:And you still haven't told us where you go to school. I bet it would be enlightening.

Are you assuming everyone here is currently in school?

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 pm

bryanl87 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your helpful posts and ...
If I had to balance out quality of life and a good job prospect, I feel like Philly will be the place for me.
It sucks that Chicago is such a battle ground for law grads and Kent grads are struggling hard.
Oh, will it make a difference if I said that Kent is giving me $$ so each year i'll be paying 10k vs. Villanova (haven't heard anything about $$) vs. Cinci sticker?

Hey, I was wondering if you'd come back (or if you were fed up with this neighborhood issue).
Honestly, I think Chicago is by far the best city of the three, and I would pick Chicago to live in over the others. I don't think going to Kent would give the kind of campus atmosphere I would like. But you are in a good city. Alternatively, I think Villanova provides somewhat of a decent atmosphere, but you're out in the suburbs and your job prospects are in Philly (which doesn't compare to being in Chicago).

JohnBlaze

Postby JohnBlaze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:39 pm

bryanl87 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your helpful posts and ... arguments? Honestly, I'm not scared of getting shot or anything like that... I just don't like the racial tension because my undergrad wasn't very diverse and the community was really "foreign" to minorities. It wasn't unsafe or anything but rather a bit annoying.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone for providing such insightful information! I understand that in my original post, I said that I don't really care about the quality of life, but honestly, I don't want to be the only Asian attorney working around Cincinnati... If Shadowfrost000's comment about Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana is true, that might pose a problem with me attending Cincinnati... Can anyone verify this?

Btw., what's with the discrepancy between the poll results and the replies? lol.

If you didn't like the lack of diversity at your undergrad, you might want to think twice about Villanova. It is a nice school and in a very nice town, but it isn't the most diverse place in the world.

I might be a little biased, but FWIW, I love Philly and am very happy in the area. It is a very diverse, down to earth town. Can't speak much for Ohio/Chicago. Good luck with your decision. If you want to bounce questions off of someone, PM me.

JohnBlaze

Postby JohnBlaze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm

superflush wrote:
JohnBlaze wrote:And you still haven't told us where you go to school. I bet it would be enlightening.

Ahhhhhh, I get it... You're one of those people who buys the US News and World Report, reads Ivey's Guide to Law School Admissions, hangs around message boards and starts repeating what you've heard everyone else say. Sounds good.

You can just let us know where you went/go to undergrad. That might be just as informative.

EDIT: Nevermind, don't answer. I'm bored. Just be a little bit more responsible about portraying yourself as an authority, and a little less silly. Some people actually take what others say to heart. Respect that.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm

JohnBlaze wrote:
superflush wrote:

Ahhhhhh, I get it... You're one of those people who buys the US News and World Report, reads Ivey's Guide to Law School Admissions, hangs around message boards and starts repeating what you've heard everyone else say. Sounds good.

huh??? my point was that not everyone who is applying to law school is coming straight out of undergrad.

Bruin2009

Postby Bruin2009 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 am

veryyyy random, but somewhere in this post i read that the area around USC was not that bad and I laughed soooo hard i felll off my bed :lol: :lol: :P

on a serio... as advertized by UCLA (<3), the school is surrounded by the 3 Bs: Beverly Hills, Brentwood and Bel Air (talk about hotttt real estate), nonetheless, nighttime around UCLA does not by any means equal safe since it's LA: a big city with alot of ppl. THis does not in any way or form mean that UCLA is not safe either. IT just means that shit happens when u choose to live in a big city. Be smart, carry a mace (or a tazer) and watch your back and you shall be fine anywhere.

Let's not all argue about who's hood is harder, yeah? it never ends well :) (public service announcemnt at around 4 am pacific time)

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:08 am

bryanl87 wrote:I understand that in my original post, I said that I don't really care about the quality of life, but honestly, I don't want to be the only Asian attorney working around Cincinnati... If Shadowfrost000's comment about Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana is true, that might pose a problem with me attending Cincinnati... Can anyone verify this?

I can tell you there definitely aren't large Asian communities in Cincy or in Ohio in general compared to other cities of similar size in the east coast, west or south. But your current location may change the perspective so it will be helpful to know where you live now. If you live in, say, Wyoming or Tennessee, obviously Ohio will be a step up in that regard.

leftofthedial

Postby leftofthedial » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 am

07ggfa5 wrote:
bryanl87 wrote:I understand that in my original post, I said that I don't really care about the quality of life, but honestly, I don't want to be the only Asian attorney working around Cincinnati... If Shadowfrost000's comment about Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana is true, that might pose a problem with me attending Cincinnati... Can anyone verify this?

I can tell you there definitely aren't large Asian communities in Cincy or in Ohio in general compared to other cities of similar size in the east coast, west or south. But your current location may change the perspective so it will be helpful to know where you live now. If you live in, say, Wyoming or Tennessee, obviously Ohio will be a step up in that regard.

It also depends on what you mean by Asian. There's a large Filipino community in Louisville, for example. And there's a decent size Vietnamese population in both cities. It's not California for sure, but hey, it's a different part of the country that I don't see as anti-Asian by any stretch of the imagination. I have to give a shout out to Louisville...if you're looking for an interesting, friendly, artistic, easy-to-get-around, relatively-cheap-to-live-in city, Louisville's your place. Much cooler than Cincinnati, in my opinion.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”