UMiami v. Florida International Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jtgain

New

UMiami v. Florida International

Post by jtgain » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm

I would be looking at 28k/yr at UMiami. Could probably get almost full tuition at FIU. Anyone with knowledge of the South Florida Legal Community that can help me out? Could I dream of biglaw in Miami out of FIU? It that impossible?

Just trying to decide if UM is worth ~90K more out of pocket...

Lomax

Bronze

Re: UMiami v. Florida International

Post by Lomax » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am

Consider this: a year prior to the economic collapse, FIU had 26 firms at OCI, and UM had 128. UM had more than twice as many graduating students, but the discrepancy is still significant. I am just guessing here, but it seems to me that it could be the case, with the economy the way it is now, that the discrepancy is even more significant today. That said, your job prospects probably don't look great should you graduate at the median from either FIU or UM, and saving yourself that massive amount of money would be a big plus. Maybe you should decide whether or not you are truly capable of ending up in the top 10 or 20 percent of your class and otherwise building up your resume, then base your decision on that. Or maybe you should just go to UM, given that it will certainly offer you some advantage over FIU (probably a big one) and you may be able to pay your loans off (should you need to take any) in short order with the money you make in even a less-than-ideal job out of school, assuming that you live frugally for a while.
jtgain wrote:Could I dream of biglaw in Miami out of FIU? It that impossible?
In the short term, I would imagine that, yes, it would be impossible. Maybe not if you happened to graduate at the very top of your class and do a lot besides that. Otherwise, perhaps later on, after doing well in practice. I wouldn't really know though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”