HYSCCN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:53 pm

..

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 pm

mallard wrote:This thread just keeps delivering. It's like the FedEx of threads.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby rayiner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:56 pm

showNprove wrote:
rayiner wrote:
showNprove wrote:In the end though, when the OP asks a general question about placement, the weight of the school's name matters. When you individualize the question based on the student, the student's goals, the firm, the region, and so forth, other data is certainly more appropriate.


I disagree. I think law students have a very simple question in mind: what are the job prospects at various schools? The weight of a school's name is one factor in that, but you cannot correctly answer the question without taking into account things like school size, region, etc. GULC's lawyer/judge reputation is the same as Penn's. ITE, which school would you rather be at? Virginia's lawyer/judge reputation is the same as Chicago's. ITE, which school would you rather be at?

If you look at the 2009 OCI reports that are coming back, you'll see that it doesn't really justify all the splitting of hairs that has been going on in this thread. Unless Michigan is at 70% of people employed through OCI and nobody told me.

You disagree with the assertion that the weight of the school's name matters? I'm not saying it's the only factor that matters, but it's certainly not irrelevant. Also, and this is only a technicality, but I've been looking at the combined scores, not the lawyer/judge scores alone, and they separate the schools you mentioned above.


I disagree that school name is the only thing that matters when the OP asks a question about general employment prospects. You keep conflating prestige and placement and it makes things confusing.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:58 pm

badfish wrote:
LOL!

Well played, but I've also been on for a year and a half so the per/day ratio actually ends up being a lot smaller.

Typically, as happened with me, when posters go to school they start posting a lot less.

You've managed to amass 3x my post count with a 6 month head-start. Nerd. Go play outside. :D

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby showNprove » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm

rayiner wrote:
showNprove wrote:
rayiner wrote:
showNprove wrote:In the end though, when the OP asks a general question about placement, the weight of the school's name matters. When you individualize the question based on the student, the student's goals, the firm, the region, and so forth, other data is certainly more appropriate.


I disagree. I think law students have a very simple question in mind: what are the job prospects at various schools? The weight of a school's name is one factor in that, but you cannot correctly answer the question without taking into account things like school size, region, etc. GULC's lawyer/judge reputation is the same as Penn's. ITE, which school would you rather be at? Virginia's lawyer/judge reputation is the same as Chicago's. ITE, which school would you rather be at?

If you look at the 2009 OCI reports that are coming back, you'll see that it doesn't really justify all the splitting of hairs that has been going on in this thread. Unless Michigan is at 70% of people employed through OCI and nobody told me.

You disagree with the assertion that the weight of the school's name matters? I'm not saying it's the only factor that matters, but it's certainly not irrelevant. Also, and this is only a technicality, but I've been looking at the combined scores, not the lawyer/judge scores alone, and they separate the schools you mentioned above.


I disagree that school name is the only thing that matters when the OP asks a question about general employment prospects. You keep conflating prestige and placement and it makes things confusing.

I never said it was the only thing that matters--I simply said that it does matter. I don't know how long you've been following the thread for, but my first post(s) distinguished between prestige and placement, showing that there is a bigger gap between some schools in terms of prestige or reputation than there is between their placement.

Then, for some reason, I had to defend in subsequent posts that prestige/reputation/name/whatever-you-want-to-call-it does matter in placement. Perhaps you got confused when mallard and I were discussing the relative merits in using the reputation surveys versus the placement statistics to measure "prestige," but I never claimed that the name was the only thing that mattered in terms of job placement (I had said or implied repeatedly that it is not).

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 pm

shut up. shut up. shut up.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby badfish » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:08 pm

Renzo wrote:
badfish wrote:
LOL!

Well played, but I've also been on for a year and a half so the per/day ratio actually ends up being a lot smaller.

Typically, as happened with me, when posters go to school they start posting a lot less.

You've managed to amass 3x my post count with a 6 month head-start. Nerd. Go play outside. :D


Yea, we should hang out IRL sometime, you know considering we just might be in class together.

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby mwazaumoja » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 pm

I don't understand how people who aren't in law school feel like they actually understand what is going on in the field of legal employment. Most law students don't really have an idea, I can put it this way: if you're an asshole, you don't do well under pressure, or you interview badly going to Harvard is not going to be your salvation. Further, if you're struggling to get into a law school, do you honestly think you'll be above the median?

If you're gonna take a risk, just take it, and chill out. Look at some of the big firms in DC, LA, Atlanta, and Houston. Look through where the associates went? Not a lot of T-14s, and you don't see 3Ls from Columbia all of a sudden deciding they are gonna displace the 3Ls at UCLA from their cushy firm jobs. Rankings are stupid, and don't mean nearly as much as you think when applying. Yale, Harvard and Stanford aren't some golden tickets to a future, they may be a ticket to a more prestigious (but equally fulfilling) career, but even that's not the case.

When you get to law school you're going to have to grind just like everyone else, so just wait until you get there to start dreaming about the apocalypse (2012).

That's my rant.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby Doritos » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 pm

lol this thread blew all the way up

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:55 pm

badfish wrote:
Renzo wrote:
badfish wrote:
LOL!

Well played, but I've also been on for a year and a half so the per/day ratio actually ends up being a lot smaller.

Typically, as happened with me, when posters go to school they start posting a lot less.

You've managed to amass 3x my post count with a 6 month head-start. Nerd. Go play outside. :D


Yea, we should hang out IRL sometime, you know considering we just might be in class together.
I might be making it up, but I thought you said something once that made me think you were in a different section. But we could be in the same elective...

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby badfish » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Renzo wrote:
badfish wrote:
Renzo wrote:
badfish wrote:
LOL!

Well played, but I've also been on for a year and a half so the per/day ratio actually ends up being a lot smaller.

Typically, as happened with me, when posters go to school they start posting a lot less.

You've managed to amass 3x my post count with a 6 month head-start. Nerd. Go play outside. :D


Yea, we should hang out IRL sometime, you know considering we just might be in class together.
I might be making it up, but I thought you said something once that made me think you were in a different section. But we could be in the same elective...


did you read McCulloch this weekend?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby Doritos » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
Doritos wrote:Is the HYSCCN cluster that much better than the rest of the T10? Now are the prospects coming out of MVPB (suck it B) significantly worse than HYSCCN? It seems I read a lot about how awesome HYSCCN is and it seems kinda weird that it's top 6 v. top 10. I would think that the gap wouldn't be that ridiculous but drop some wisdom on me TLS.



this is the correct way to look at it :

for prestige -
HYS >>>> CCN >> rest of top 14

(Cali is a different story because Boalt would be ranked much higher)

for placement
HYS >>> CCN > MVPB > rest of top 14

(in reality the placement of HYS is not significantly different except for clerkships and some other factors. Also note that the gap between MVPB and the rest of the Top 14 is much smaller than the gap between CCN and MVPB, but it is hard to portray that without being misleading with the '>'s)

In no kind of ranking are CCN mentioned in the same breath as HYS, not based on prestige, not based on placement, not based on anything. I actually think it's funny that you used the HYSCCN acronym, which tells me you are probably from CCN or are about to be.



Nah, I actually am going to UVA in the fall. I just have seen the HYSCCN acronym thrown around here so thought I'd inquire about it

edit: oops posted before i read the whole thread. this guys a douche haha.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:02 am

badfish wrote:did you read McCulloch this weekend?

Reading... Huh; knew I forgot something...

No, I'm a Properteer.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: HYSCCN

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Manye I would have given alot to see this thread blow up like it did... :(

Watching the tape (reading the thread) is still pretty good.

LOL

HYSChi>> CN

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: HYSCCN

Postby underdawg » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:57 pm

8======> O=




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], neptunian and 2 guests