Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby Gunz353 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Another bastion of positivity surrounding the legal market...wtf am I doing?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/fashion/17lawyer.html

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:16 pm

No offense, but you should have done research outside of the NYT Fashion section before making this decision.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby Gunz353 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Why is everyone such a HUGE DOUCHE!!?? First of all, I don't give a fuck what section it appears in. Second, it was on the main web page of the New York Times, and said nothing about fashion, so I read it. Third, people like you that I may be surrounding myself with, and this article of the many, many articles about the legal market I have read, are why I am reconsidering my career options.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Why is everyone such a HUGE DOUCHE!!?? First of all, I don't give a fuck what section it appears in. Second, it was on the main web page of the New York Times, and said nothing about fashion, so I read it. Third, people like you that I may be surrounding myself with, and this article of the many, many articles about the legal market I have read, are why I am reconsidering my career options.


Mallard was not being a "HUGE DOUCHE". If you chose that particular article to post, why should we all assume you've done more extensive and probably more credible research?

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm just saying - try abovethelaw.com for a little bit more insight on what's going on in the legal market right now, and other blogs that are reporting the layoffs and salary reductions and stuff like that.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby Gunz353 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I thought maybe someone would contribute some kind of valuable comment, or strike up some debate as to where the market is headed...but nevermind. I did my research, just passing something along. I guess everyone would rather pick apart every source, and/or word that posters use. This site is such a waste of time.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby Gunz353 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 pm


User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Gunz353 wrote:I thought maybe someone would contribute some kind of valuable comment, or strike up some debate as to where the market is headed...but nevermind. I did my research, just passing something along. I guess everyone would rather pick apart every source, and/or word that posters use. This site is such a waste of time.


It's a shitty article, as has been noted in the other three threads started about it (which you might have looked for before starting this topic). It cites an awfully inaccurate TV show and lacks the specifics of decently researched or remotely journalistic pieces on the topic. It also heightens hysteria by reproducing myths about law that were never true even in the "halcyon" era.

Anyway, sorry if I was brusque.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby TTH » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Gunz353 wrote:I thought maybe someone would contribute some kind of valuable comment, or strike up some debate as to where the market is headed...but nevermind. I did my research, just passing something along. I guess everyone would rather pick apart every source, and/or word that posters use. This site is such a waste of time.


I'm on it.

Valuable Comment GTFO

Debate Should you GTFO? My position is yes.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:33 pm



Ha. Clearly this thread is unnecessary then?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 pm

This isn't anything new ... my advice is that before attending any school, ask yourself if you are truly okay with graduating at the median. So many people go into law school assuming that because of prior academic / professional achievments, they are going to graduate in the top 10% and have no trouble finding a job. This is clearly not the case.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Wait, hold on... are you trying to say the legal market is IN BAD SHAPE!?

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME!?!!?!!!!11

User avatar
Asilkman
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby Asilkman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Gunz353 wrote:I thought maybe someone would contribute some kind of valuable comment, or strike up some debate as to where the market is headed...but nevermind. I did my research, just passing something along. I guess everyone would rather pick apart every source, and/or word that posters use. This site is such a waste of time.



What the fuck do you want? Anyone who has seriously given a shit about going into law for the past 2-3 years knows the profession has taken a significant hit. You find one article in the fashion section of the NY Times, start calling people douche and we're supposed to have a witty debate like this new fucking information? Where the hell have you been?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:18 pm

If this whole biglaw thing doesn't work out, at least we can all go into i-banking.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:If this whole biglaw thing doesn't work out, at least we can all go into i-banking.


Why wouldn't biglaw work out?









hahahahaha

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:27 pm

mallard wrote:No offense, but you should have done research outside of the NYT Fashion section before making this decision.


Hey, don't knock the NYT Fashion section! :P

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Gunz353 wrote:Why is everyone such a HUGE DOUCHE!!?? First of all, I don't give a fuck what section it appears in. Second, it was on the main web page of the New York Times, and said nothing about fashion, so I read it. Third, people like you that I may be surrounding myself with, and this article of the many, many articles about the legal market I have read, are why I am reconsidering my career options.


1) You're the douche junior;

2) Unless you're going to Harvard, you need not fear surrounding yourself with someone like Mallard;

3) He is one of a handful of posters on here that I find will almost always post something of value (and this is coming from a 2nd year lawyer, not another anxious 0L);

4) You're still a douche;

5) The fashion section of the NYT; really?

6) The article is in-artful and dumb; e.g. "lawyers a few years ago could expect huge salaries and full employment with a 150ish Lsat," - this has not been the case for decades, if ever;

7) You're still a douche;

8 ) Every single market sector has taken a huge hit in the last few years, not just law. However, we, as lawyers, for the most part (save personal practice areas like criminal defense, personal injury, etc), feel the hit deeper and longer than other businesses will in a recession, because we service those businesses that are hurting. One of the first areas to be cut is often the legal budget, i.e. stop or slow down all non-essential litigation, etc;

9) I don't think i like you;

10) The areas that are thriving right now are typically BELOW the level that most TLS-wanna-be-lawyers would ever imagine stooping and for the most part pay substantially less to start out than what most people assume lawyers earn;

11) A good living can still be made in the law, but its not models and bottles (i.e. biglaw or midlaw for that matter), for more than 75% of all graduates (probably even fewer than that actually);

12) This is not a get rich quick scheme, for most, as it will take a good deal of time to be earning a substantial salary;

13) You should only become a lawyer if you actually want to be a lawyer;

14) You should realize there is a huge risk in becoming a lawyer (like anything else), insofar as each year perfectly good grads, for one reason or another, never get into the club and get a good associate job and for the most part, based largely on snobery (but thats how it goes), will be locked out of the profession forever;

15) Calm the fuck down.

16) You are (you guessed it), still a douche.

I hope that was 'substantive' enough for you.

RM

itsfine
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby itsfine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:39 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:Why is everyone such a HUGE DOUCHE!!?? First of all, I don't give a fuck what section it appears in. Second, it was on the main web page of the New York Times, and said nothing about fashion, so I read it. Third, people like you that I may be surrounding myself with, and this article of the many, many articles about the legal market I have read, are why I am reconsidering my career options.


1) You're the douche junior;

2) Unless you're going to Harvard, you need not fear surrounding yourself with someone like Mallard;

3) He is one of a handful of posters on here that I find will almost always post something of value (and this is coming from a 2nd year lawyer, not another anxious 0L);

4) You're still a douche;

5) The fashion section of the NYT; really?

6) The article is in-artful and dumb; e.g. "lawyers a few years ago could expect huge salaries and full employment with a 150ish Lsat," - this has not been the case for decades, if ever;

7) You're still a douche;

8 ) Every single market sector has taken a huge hit in the last few years, not just law. However, we, as lawyers, for the most part (save personal practice areas like criminal defense, personal injury, etc), feel the hit deeper and longer than other businesses will in a recession, because we service those businesses that are hurting. One of the first areas to be cut is often the legal budget, i.e. stop or slow down all non-essential litigation, etc;

9) I don't think i like you;

10) The areas that are thriving right now are typically BELOW the level that most TLS-wanna-be-lawyers would ever imagine stooping and for the most part pay substantially less to start out than what most people assume lawyers earn;

11) A good living can still be made in the law, but its not models and bottles (i.e. biglaw or midlaw for that matter), for more than 75% of all graduates (probably even fewer than that actually);

12) This is not a get rich quick scheme, for most, as it will take a good deal of time to be earning a substantial salary;

13) You should only become a lawyer if you actually want to be a lawyer;

14) You should realize there is a huge risk in becoming a lawyer (like anything else), insofar as each year perfectly good grads, for one reason or another, never get into the club and get a good associate job and for the most part, based largely on snobery (but thats how it goes), will be locked out of the profession forever;

15) Calm the fuck down.

16) You are (you guessed it), still a douche.

I hope that was 'substantive' enough for you.

RM



calm down...everything will be ok...i promise

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:11 pm

itsfine wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:Why is everyone such a HUGE DOUCHE!!?? First of all, I don't give a fuck what section it appears in. Second, it was on the main web page of the New York Times, and said nothing about fashion, so I read it. Third, people like you that I may be surrounding myself with, and this article of the many, many articles about the legal market I have read, are why I am reconsidering my career options.


1) You're the douche junior;

2) Unless you're going to Harvard, you need not fear surrounding yourself with someone like Mallard;

3) He is one of a handful of posters on here that I find will almost always post something of value (and this is coming from a 2nd year lawyer, not another anxious 0L);

4) You're still a douche;

5) The fashion section of the NYT; really?

6) The article is in-artful and dumb; e.g. "lawyers a few years ago could expect huge salaries and full employment with a 150ish Lsat," - this has not been the case for decades, if ever;

7) You're still a douche;

8 ) Every single market sector has taken a huge hit in the last few years, not just law. However, we, as lawyers, for the most part (save personal practice areas like criminal defense, personal injury, etc), feel the hit deeper and longer than other businesses will in a recession, because we service those businesses that are hurting. One of the first areas to be cut is often the legal budget, i.e. stop or slow down all non-essential litigation, etc;

9) I don't think i like you;

10) The areas that are thriving right now are typically BELOW the level that most TLS-wanna-be-lawyers would ever imagine stooping and for the most part pay substantially less to start out than what most people assume lawyers earn;

11) A good living can still be made in the law, but its not models and bottles (i.e. biglaw or midlaw for that matter), for more than 75% of all graduates (probably even fewer than that actually);

12) This is not a get rich quick scheme, for most, as it will take a good deal of time to be earning a substantial salary;

13) You should only become a lawyer if you actually want to be a lawyer;

14) You should realize there is a huge risk in becoming a lawyer (like anything else), insofar as each year perfectly good grads, for one reason or another, never get into the club and get a good associate job and for the most part, based largely on snobery (but thats how it goes), will be locked out of the profession forever;

15) Calm the fuck down.

16) You are (you guessed it), still a douche.

I hope that was 'substantive' enough for you.

RM



calm down...everything will be ok...i promise


I'm very calm actually.



predetermined wrote:Oh come on, people. Like the OP said, the article was linked from the front page. And given that there have been other threads discussing the very article, it's more than reasonable to expect it would generate discussion. Because, you know, it did.

And if you're whining about how the OP is reposting a link that others have already posted...welcome to online forums. It's reasonable to expect someone to search for threads on a given topic before posting, but that's only really true when there are fairly obvious search terms which one could expect to return relevant results. Searching for a link is an even less obvious strategy, especially because links from sites like the NYT tend to be variable. And as we all know, forum search here sucks to begin with.

So everyone just chill.


I'm also pretty chill. I think Op is the one that needs to calm the fuck down.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:Why is everyone such a HUGE DOUCHE!!?? First of all, I don't give a fuck what section it appears in. Second, it was on the main web page of the New York Times, and said nothing about fashion, so I read it. Third, people like you that I may be surrounding myself with, and this article of the many, many articles about the legal market I have read, are why I am reconsidering my career options.


1) You're the douche junior;

2) Unless you're going to Harvard, you need not fear surrounding yourself with someone like Mallard;

3) He is one of a handful of posters on here that I find will almost always post something of value (and this is coming from a 2nd year lawyer, not another anxious 0L);

4) You're still a douche;

5) The fashion section of the NYT; really?

6) The article is in-artful and dumb; e.g. "lawyers a few years ago could expect huge salaries and full employment with a 150ish Lsat," - this has not been the case for decades, if ever;

7) You're still a douche;

8 ) Every single market sector has taken a huge hit in the last few years, not just law. However, we, as lawyers, for the most part (save personal practice areas like criminal defense, personal injury, etc), feel the hit deeper and longer than other businesses will in a recession, because we service those businesses that are hurting. One of the first areas to be cut is often the legal budget, i.e. stop or slow down all non-essential litigation, etc;

9) I don't think i like you;

10) The areas that are thriving right now are typically BELOW the level that most TLS-wanna-be-lawyers would ever imagine stooping and for the most part pay substantially less to start out than what most people assume lawyers earn;

11) A good living can still be made in the law, but its not models and bottles (i.e. biglaw or midlaw for that matter), for more than 75% of all graduates (probably even fewer than that actually);

12) This is not a get rich quick scheme, for most, as it will take a good deal of time to be earning a substantial salary;

13) You should only become a lawyer if you actually want to be a lawyer;

14) You should realize there is a huge risk in becoming a lawyer (like anything else), insofar as each year perfectly good grads, for one reason or another, never get into the club and get a good associate job and for the most part, based largely on snobery (but thats how it goes), will be locked out of the profession forever;

15) Calm the fuck down.

16) You are (you guessed it), still a douche.

I hope that was 'substantive' enough for you.

RM


<3

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

+1.

We <3 RM.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:02 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:+1.

We <3 RM.


OS and Dresden love me? Today is a good day ;)

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Ugghhh...are we making the right choice??!!

Postby crossingforHYS » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm

I am somewhat sick of these posts.

If you made the decisions to go to law school then you must have researched the market, the career prospects and what you want to do in life and you already know what is happening in the legal field.
Yes right now it is not peachy and wonderful, but it's not peachy and wonderful anywhere!
If you want to be a lawyer then do it and stop whining, we are not fortune tellers to know how the legal market will pan out later, but if you know that you love a profession then you should be in it. You chose this, so did I and everyone else on this board.

Stop being a child, and live with your choice or make another one!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], charmonster, kolikotime, Lahtso Nuggin and 6 guests