lawschool100 ranking?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bees

Re: lawschool100 ranking?

Postby bees » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bees wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Shit never mind, I read that as law firms. Of course law schools do. Hell I literally got into a good law school because of that magazine.

Sorry for being confused.

No worries. You provided me with a chance to link to that ridiculous graph.

What is even more ridiculous was that they were handing out conditional acceptances. If you had a 3.87, you had to keep your GPA above 3.85 or you acceptance was no longer valid.

I did not know this. Fantastic.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What is even more ridiculous was that they were handing out conditional acceptances. If you had a 3.87, you had to keep your GPA above 3.85 or you acceptance was no longer valid.

From the right POV this is actually quite brilliant and what being a lawyer is all about. Think about that for a minute as you try to join the ranks of these people.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:21 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What is even more ridiculous was that they were handing out conditional acceptances. If you had a 3.87, you had to keep your GPA above 3.85 or you acceptance was no longer valid.

From the right POV this is actually quite brilliant and what being a lawyer is all about. Think about that for a minute as you try to join the ranks of these people.

I'm just pissed their number whoring didn't take my 2.8/176

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:41 pm

PDaddy wrote:I have been around TLS for quite some time now reading the threads and posts. One thing occurrs to me when it comes to rankings: people really seem to give a lot of credibility to the USNWR that it doesn't deserve, and that colors their perceptions of alternative rankings. What makes Bob Morse (of USN) the arbiter of what factors should be most important in assessing the merits of a law school? He and his USN cohorts are neither law partners, law deans, law professors, nor students.

Somewhat agree with you, only because my friends' experiences at OCI show that many hiring attorneys do NOT check up on recent USNews rankings, so to employers they are not that important. They know more or less the top schools and that's all they care about. Many of the associates who interviewed at OCI only knew rankings from when they went to school and have not checked them since. I think TLS falsely conveys the idea that "every employer" obsesses over rankings when it's by far not true. TLSers are not all that connected with the real world.

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:07 pm

bees wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bees wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Shit never mind, I read that as law firms. Of course law schools do. Hell I literally got into a good law school because of that magazine.

Sorry for being confused.

No worries. You provided me with a chance to link to that ridiculous graph.

What is even more ridiculous was that they were handing out conditional acceptances. If you had a 3.87, you had to keep your GPA above 3.85 or you acceptance was no longer valid.

I did not know this. Fantastic.

Where did you find the information about conditional acceptances? It sounds amazing. Do you have a reference (I didn't see it in the above links)?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:14 pm

tinman wrote:Where did you find the information about conditional acceptances? It sounds amazing. Do you have a reference (I didn't see it in the above links)?

Several people described their acceptances as such in the UVA 2010 thread. If you go read through it (it's like 70 pages by now so I'm not gonna go hunting for it myself) you can find instances of several accepted students in a row claiming to have gotten this. It seems like they sent out a whole wave of these over a period of a couple days.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”