wash u vs ut

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Esc

Re: wash u vs ut

Postby Esc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 am

Z3RO wrote:I'm pretty ignorant, since I'm a 0L with all my apps in (so I'm out of my 'intense research' phase), but I would go UT over Wash U. I'm somebody that likes Midwest as well.

UT has far less (and far less prestigious) competition for nearby markets compared to Wash. You're a 4th or 5th option in Chicago coming out of Wash. UT, you basically own the South along with Duke.

If you can stand the bugs, go to Austin. Also, it's cheaper. Imagine getting paid market, but market buys you twice what you get in other cities...

....wha? :|

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 am

Esc wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I'm pretty ignorant, since I'm a 0L with all my apps in (so I'm out of my 'intense research' phase), but I would go UT over Wash U. I'm somebody that likes Midwest as well.

UT has far less (and far less prestigious) competition for nearby markets compared to Wash. You're a 4th or 5th option in Chicago coming out of Wash. UT, you basically own the South along with Duke.

If you can stand the bugs, go to Austin. Also, it's cheaper. Imagine getting paid market, but market buys you twice what you get in other cities...

....wha? :|

LOL

I lived in Texas when I was a little kid, so my perspective of size might be skewed. Still, I remember giant cockroaches, a dog with fleas, bees the size of frogs, and that I was 5 and had a concept of "fire ants".

Bugs don't bother me, but my live-in girlfriend could never survive the South. Here in Chicago, if she sees a house centipede, she practically needs a counselor. I can imagine other people have similar reactions.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:45 am

I still don't buy WUSTL career placement statistics. For example, they report that for their class of 2008 the 75th % for starting salaries was $160,000. I seem to remember that last year they reported that their median starting salary was $160,000 (but then again, the reporting rate was less than 50%). This year they fail to even provide a reporting rate. Even in boom times, this seems to high. Perhaps my skepticism is driven my their reputation for gaming the admission numbers.

Given that no firm in St. Louis pays $160,000 coming out of law school (boutiques aside) and 1/3 of their graduates remain in St. Louis, I have a hard time believing that pretty much anyone graduating cum laude was walking into a firm starting at $160,000.

Go to UT. Having grown up in both Texas and St. Louis, at least if you attend UT, people nationally will actually know where the hell you went to school. Best of luck!
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 am

UT is a great school, its really strong in the south but it definitely does not own the south. After the t5/6, Duke, UVA, Vandy and maybe even Emory do better or as well in the Southeast as Texas. UT dominates Texas and thats it.

Esc

Postby Esc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:

UT is a great school, its really strong in the south but it definitely does not own the south. After the t5/6, Duke, UVA, Vandy and maybe even Emory do better or as well in the Southeast as Texas. UT dominates Texas and thats it.

Actually, Texas really doesn't place that many graduates in the South. For the most recent employment stats, 2/3 of the class placed in Texas, and most of the rest placed in CA/NYC/DC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”