Chicago v. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 pm

kurama20 wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
All-in all, that is 81 Chicago and 339 NYU. That would seem to be in NYU's favor even if NYU is twice as large. On the other hand, if less than 30% of Chicago grads (60 per year about) are even interviewing for NY firms and about 80% of NYU's 450 grads (390) are shooting for NY, then Chicago's v5 NY Office placement is pretty impressive. Chicago's ratio would be 81/60, which is about 1.33, and NYU's ratio would be 339/390, which is about .85. That is a pretty huge difference in placement power.


EXACTLY. That's what I'm saying. The truth is that going to Chicago instead of NYU for someone who wants to work in NYC really won't hurt you at all. To be fair I'm a little uncomfortable saying that Chicago does better in NYC than NYU, but it at least does just as well. Like you said it really starts to become apparent when you look at how huge NYU's graduating classes are compared to Chicago's ( Chicago is usually about 200 while NYU's is usually a little under 500), add that to the fact that a much smaller portion of Chicago's class is even going for NYC and it starts to become even more obvious that Chicago is just as strong as NYU is in NYC. Again though, OP should go where he would be happier. But it wasn't right for people to start telling him that he would have a harder time getting NYC jobs from Chicago--it just isn't true.
Dude. You are killing me. It's like you have some sort of filter that prevents you from reading things that might disagree with you
if less than 30% of Chicago grads (60 per year about) are even interviewing for NY firms and about 80% of NYU's 450 grads (390) are shooting for NY, then Chicago's v5 NY Office placement is pretty impressive.

NOTICE: this was a made-up assumption. That's what the if is for. You could just as easily say 100% of both classes prefer NY, or half of each class, or none, or 60/30, or....

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby kurama20 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Renzo wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
All-in all, that is 81 Chicago and 339 NYU. That would seem to be in NYU's favor even if NYU is twice as large. On the other hand, if less than 30% of Chicago grads (60 per year about) are even interviewing for NY firms and about 80% of NYU's 450 grads (390) are shooting for NY, then Chicago's v5 NY Office placement is pretty impressive. Chicago's ratio would be 81/60, which is about 1.33, and NYU's ratio would be 339/390, which is about .85. That is a pretty huge difference in placement power.


EXACTLY. That's what I'm saying. The truth is that going to Chicago instead of NYU for someone who wants to work in NYC really won't hurt you at all. To be fair I'm a little uncomfortable saying that Chicago does better in NYC than NYU, but it at least does just as well. Like you said it really starts to become apparent when you look at how huge NYU's graduating classes are compared to Chicago's ( Chicago is usually about 200 while NYU's is usually a little under 500), add that to the fact that a much smaller portion of Chicago's class is even going for NYC and it starts to become even more obvious that Chicago is just as strong as NYU is in NYC. Again though, OP should go where he would be happier. But it wasn't right for people to start telling him that he would have a harder time getting NYC jobs from Chicago--it just isn't true.
Dude. You are killing me. It's like you have some sort of filter that prevents you from reading things that might disagree with you
if less than 30% of Chicago grads (60 per year about) are even interviewing for NY firms and about 80% of NYU's 450 grads (390) are shooting for NY, then Chicago's v5 NY Office placement is pretty impressive.

NOTICE: this was a made-up assumption. That's what the if is for. You could just as easily say 100% of both classes prefer NY, or half of each class, or none, or 60/30, or....



Funny I was sort of getting the vibe that you had a filter that prevents you from believing anything other than "NYU is stronger than any school besides HYS".

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
All-in all, that is 81 Chicago and 339 NYU. That would seem to be in NYU's favor even if NYU is twice as large. On the other hand, if less than 30% of Chicago grads (60 per year about) are even interviewing for NY firms and about 80% of NYU's 450 grads (390) are shooting for NY, then Chicago's v5 NY Office placement is pretty impressive. Chicago's ratio would be 81/60, which is about 1.33, and NYU's ratio would be 339/390, which is about .85. That is a pretty huge difference in placement power.


EXACTLY. That's what I'm saying. The truth is that going to Chicago instead of NYU for someone who wants to work in NYC really won't hurt you at all. To be fair I'm a little uncomfortable saying that Chicago does better in NYC than NYU, but it at least does just as well. Like you said it really starts to become apparent when you look at how huge NYU's graduating classes are compared to Chicago's ( Chicago is usually about 200 while NYU's is usually a little under 500), add that to the fact that a much smaller portion of Chicago's class is even going for NYC and it starts to become even more obvious that Chicago is just as strong as NYU is in NYC. Again though, OP should go where he would be happier. But it wasn't right for people to start telling him that he would have a harder time getting NYC jobs from Chicago--it just isn't true.
Dude. You are killing me. It's like you have some sort of filter that prevents you from reading things that might disagree with you
if less than 30% of Chicago grads (60 per year about) are even interviewing for NY firms and about 80% of NYU's 450 grads (390) are shooting for NY, then Chicago's v5 NY Office placement is pretty impressive.

NOTICE: this was a made-up assumption. That's what the if is for. You could just as easily say 100% of both classes prefer NY, or half of each class, or none, or 60/30, or....



Funny I was sort of getting the vibe that you had a filter that prevents you from believing anything other than "NYU is stronger than any school besides HYS".

I dare you to find any post in any thread anywhere on this board where I have even implied that. I do say that among peer schools (like UC and NYU), if you have a market preference, go to school in that market. If you didn't hate NYU with the passion of 1000 suns, that wouldn't be controversial.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby kurama20 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Renzo wrote:I dare you to find any post in any thread anywhere on this board where I have even implied that. I do say that among peer schools (like UC and NYU), if you have a market preference, go to school in that market. If you didn't say that NYU was equivalent to Michigan, UVA, Boalt, and Penn for those not interested in NYC, that wouldn't be controversial.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:07 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Renzo wrote:I dare you to find any post in any thread anywhere on this board where I have even implied that. I do say that among peer schools (like UC and NYU), if you have a market preference, go to school in that market. If you didn't say that NYU was equivalent to Michigan, UVA, Boalt, and Penn for those not interested in NYC, that wouldn't be controversial.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. It must be too clever for me. But if you're saying that NYU doesn't place any better than those schools outside of NYC, fine--I wouldn't really disagree. Again, it's really hard to prove that because of all the confounding multicoliniarities, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. If someone wanted to work in Cali, I'd tell them to go to Berkeley. I think UVA might be at a very slight advantage over NYU in DC firm placement (again, completely unprovable, but its my suspicion).

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby Z3RO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 pm

I want Kurama to be right, because Chicago is my first choice.

That said, it's my first choice, because I want to work in Chicago. Renzo's point is that you are really better off going to school in the market where you want to practice, and I think he's right. Even if Kurama is right about the bare bones statistics for placement in NYC, I think things have got to be easier for you to go to school in the market you want to work. You more easily network, you don't have to travel to summer associate, and your regional OCI is gonna be stronger.

All in all, both schools are great, and you're probably lucky to be able to go to either. I still can't imagine passing up NYU if I wanted to practice in NY, and you can bet that I won't be going to NYU if I get into Chicago.

*Edit*

That aside, if you want PI, go with NYU. Chicago's LRAP fits in a thimble.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 pm

A person absolutely should go to the school in the area where they intend to practice. Never mind the placement hair splitting; already residing in the area where you intend to practice means less legwork, and less legwork is always ftw in my book.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby Core » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Sorry to interrupt the employment discussion but, Chicago students or alums, can you speak more about the QOL and environment at Chicago - i.e. are most students liberal, socially awkward, etc.? NYU students and alums: same thing, if you don't mind.
I know this was discussed a bit above and in the forum, but I'd like some fresh answers & perspectives.

pehaigllleises
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby pehaigllleises » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:54 pm

I feel like my ten basic human capabilities are being satisfied here. Except perhaps my ability to live with concern for and in relation to plants. I killed my plant :(

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Chicago v. NYU

Postby Core » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 am

pehaigllleises wrote:I feel like my ten basic human capabilities are being satisfied here. Except perhaps my ability to live with concern for and in relation to plants. I killed my plant :(

:(




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests