Southern California Middle Ground Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ENGINEERD

Bronze

Southern California Middle Ground

Post by ENGINEERD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I am trying to figure out where to apply considering my numbers and that I want to practice in Southern California. In my range it seems like there are not any target schools in Southern California. I am applying to my REACH schools USC UCLA, and my SAFTEY schools, LMU, Pepperdine, and USD. Can anyone think of any target schools in southern california. My numbers are 3.2/167 engineering.

I know alot of you will probably say UCI because they are project at 30 but it seems they are accepting applicants with much higher numbers to drive up their stats.

No1ustad

New

Re: Southern California Middle Ground

Post by No1ustad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:47 pm

have you checked chiashu?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:49 pm

I am also not sure how much of a focus UCI has put on IP law, if you are thinking of going that route.

Not sure about your mobility but Hastings/Davis would probably be better employment-wise than Loyola/USD/etc. Pocketbook-wise, probably not.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:49 pm

No im sorry I dont know what that is, Is it a a name of a school

No1ustad

New

Post by No1ustad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm

--LinkRemoved-- go there, put in ur info, then look at schools in SOCal where ur chances are about 50-60%, that'd give u the schools you're within a decent shot of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:11 pm

I would say hit up Santa Clara and focus on IP

Otherwise your only options in socal are southwestern and USD, unless you want the uber TTT schools. USC and USLA are out most likley. i suggest researching on LSN.

Hastings and Davis are good but getting fucking expensive, and mostly place in bay area.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Oban wrote:I would say hit up Santa Clara and focus on IP

Otherwise your only options in socal are southwestern and USD, unless you want the uber TTT schools. USC and USLA are out most likley. i suggest researching on LSN.

Hastings and Davis are good but getting fucking expensive, and mostly place in bay area.
Santa Clara is not a low-cost alternative to Hastings or Davis. Their scholarships are low (sub-10k per year for most) and require top 25% gpa to keep them. Both H and D would get OP a job in SoCal if that is his desire. I would estimate that almost half my classmates at Hastings are from SoCal and usually 30-40% of grads work in SoCal.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 pm

thanks for the responses I think I will add hastings to my cycle. Do you think schools in the 20-30 range like BU BC GW WUSTL ND would give me better job prospects in southern california than hastings or davis?

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:39 pm

swheat wrote:I am also not sure how much of a focus UCI has put on IP law, if you are thinking of going that route.

Not sure about your mobility but Hastings/Davis would probably be better employment-wise than Loyola/USD/etc. Pocketbook-wise, probably not.
they are actually putting a pretty big emphasis on IP

they have a program where the group a law student, an engineering student and a business student to create and develop a patent

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:thanks for the responses I think I will add hastings to my cycle. Do you think schools in the 20-30 range like BU BC GW WUSTL ND would give me better job prospects in southern california than hastings or davis?
Some people say ND has strong pull in CA, but personally I think Hastings and Davis are better than anything outside T20 for CA. But the difference probably isn't too great. If you got money at WUSTL for instance I think you'd be crazy to pay full price at H or D.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”