Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

With those numbers your best option is Texas?

That GPA is awfully high, if I were you I would hold out for wl/acceptances.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/monobdevil/jd

This guy got into Mich and his gpa was lower than yours...

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Esc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Bustang wrote:
Esc wrote:Scholly requires a 2.5 GPA? Isn't Baylor's curve set at something excruciatingly low? You need to find out. There's an excellent chance you could lose your scholarship after the first year. If the scholly had no strings attached, Baylor wouldn't be a bad choice, but with strings, UT.


Top 1/3 at Baylor=2.6.


If that is the case, then there is no question. UT hands down. Drop Baylor like a wet turd.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition vs UT sticker

Postby ughOSU » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:32 pm

bmontminy wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
bmontminy wrote:Anyways, edited topic (for clarity of course) and body to add info about staying in TX


Zojirushi wrote:
ughOSU wrote:poorly worded topic

Makes perfect sense to me.


e: yea sorry I had nothing productive to add...


Thank you kindly for showcasing your quoting skills, and STILL being informative/productive, truly amazing.

This is the internet... just let it go man.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Grond » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I'd find out how serious the firm is about giving you a job when you get out. Will they still hire you if you end up at median or below? If you really want to do litigation in Texas, then no tuition and a job at, say, Munsch Hardt is a good way to start your career.

Other than that, if you end up top 10% at Baylor, you're set for litigation in Texas. Any other class rank or career goals, you'll wish you'd gone to UT.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm

beesknees wrote:Quick question: why are people posting bar passage rates as a factor in this scenario? Passing the bar doesn't mean you're employed... it just means you passed the bar. It also doesn't tell you if those 94% who passed the bar are working in as your local ambulance chaser.


So true.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Oban » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

UT appear the obvious choice, but ya'll are missing the point that Partners at his midlaw firm? are basically telling him if he goes to baylor he has a 1L sa job, a 2L sa summer job and then a full postion. They are flying him down to visit for christsake. I mean if he didnt want to work at that firm then maybe go to UT. but free tuition plus guaratneed job = win.

bmontminy
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby bmontminy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

mdowney wrote:Everything I've read I would vote UT unless you want to work for this firm for a while after you graduate, but even then if something were to happen where you couldn't get hired back at that firm UT would be a way better diploma to have.



Haha small world buddy.

Thanks for all the input, always love to hear more, although it seems like i'm getting the majority of the TLS opinion siding with UT.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Esc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm

bmontminy wrote:
mdowney wrote:Everything I've read I would vote UT unless you want to work for this firm for a while after you graduate, but even then if something were to happen where you couldn't get hired back at that firm UT would be a way better diploma to have.



Haha small world buddy.

Thanks for all the input, always love to hear more, although it seems like i'm getting the majority of the TLS opinion siding with UT.


Don't get me wrong, I think that Baylor sounds like it could be a good fit for you. Its just very risky to take a lower ranked school when there is a sizable chance that you could lose your scholarship, and just on the word of a single firm's partners, who, if the firm runs into financial difficulties or their whims change, would lose no sleep over NOT hiring you in a couple years.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Oban wrote:UT appear the obvious choice, but ya'll are missing the point that Partners at his midlaw firm? are basically telling him if he goes to baylor he has a 1L sa job, a 2L sa summer job and then a full postion. They are flying him down to visit for christsake. I mean if he didnt want to work at that firm then maybe go to UT. but free tuition plus guaratneed job = win.


Devil's advocate: What happens if OP ever wants to, or has to leave the firm ... due to job politics, personal circumstances, cutbacks at the firm, etc ... would Baylor still be a good investment?

If OP absolutely has to work at that firm, then I guess go to Baylor ... but OP had better never leave that firm and have to compete with top UT, SMU and UH grads in the job market in Texas. Being debt averse is one thing, but looking at it in terms of career risk ... UT's a safer bet than Baylor.

Besides ... does OP's firm absolutely only hire Baylor grads? Will the partners look down on OP if OP goes to UT and finishes in the top 25% of his class? They're legal professionals. They should understand how the game works. If not, OP won't starve in Texas. There will be other firms that will be interested.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Texas, not even close

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:02 pm

I faced a similar situation last year. There are a couple of threads about this already on TLS so just run a search (I'm too lazy to do it). Go to UT. If you go to Baylor, you are going to pretty much limit yourself to the State of Texas. Furthermore, you are going to have to crack the top 10-15% to have a chance at BigLaw in Texas. UT will provide you with so many more options both in the State of Texas and nationally.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Oban wrote:UT appear the obvious choice, but ya'll are missing the point that Partners at his midlaw firm? are basically telling him if he goes to baylor he has a 1L sa job, a 2L sa summer job and then a full postion. They are flying him down to visit for christsake. I mean if he didnt want to work at that firm then maybe go to UT. but free tuition plus guaratneed job = win.


Devil's advocate: What happens if OP ever wants to, or has to leave the firm ... due to job politics, personal circumstances, cutbacks at the firm, etc ... would Baylor still be a good investment?

If OP absolutely has to work at that firm, then I guess go to Baylor ... but OP had better never leave that firm and have to compete with top UT, SMU and UH grads in the job market in Texas. Being debt averse is one thing, but looking at it in terms of career risk ... UT's a safer bet than Baylor.

Besides ... does OP's firm absolutely only hire Baylor grads? Will the partners look down on OP if OP goes to UT and finishes in the top 25% of his class? They're legal professionals. They should understand how the game works. If not, OP won't starve in Texas. There will be other firms that will be interested.


The bolded portion is exactly why UT is probably a better choice - in my opinion anyway. UT is the place you want to be at in Texas. SMU is great for the DFW Metroplex and Baylor is a great school. But UT opens up far more doors in afar more locations than any of the alternative schools in Texas. If the OP decides to leave the firm a UT degree wiill get him farther in Texas than a Baylor one.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:55 pm

I would take UT. You might as go visit Baylor and see if you fall in love with it, but it seems like UT is really where you want to be. Also, maybe the partners won't get offended that you choose UT over Baylor and you would still have a great job opportunity either way.

I think the Baylor situation is interested, but unless the partners are ready to put it all out in writing that they are ready to hire you and at $$$ (probably not 160k since it's midlaw) if you go to Baylor, take UT and your connections and don't sweat it too much. Having connections >>>>>>>>>> everything else.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm

BAYLOR 94.12% 85 80 5 0.00% 3 0 3
U OF TEXAS 92.36% 288 266 22 72.22% 18 13 5

This should really be a non-factor is quite silly, IMO. If anyone is hesitant as to whether they will even pass the bar, then perhaps law school is not for them.

Perhaps tipping the scales in the other direction is the fact that a handful of your top UT graduates are sitting for the bar in states other than Texas.

littlebit
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby littlebit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm

malnewt wrote:Baylor grads pass the bar at a rate the other TX big three (UT, SMU and Houston) don't come close to. I'm not sure why others think getting biglaw or similiar wouldn't happen.
... but yes 3 years in Waco would be a challenge, no doubt.


My post was a "are you really serious" post in response to malnewt.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:33 pm

RE bar passage:

Curriculum can play a role too.

A lot of lower ranked schools will teach state specific stuff in class. For example, you might learn Texas civil procedure during your 1L civil procedure class along with the federal stuff. Additionally, Baylor may require (explicitly or through limited course offerings) more bar classes than UT.

But comparing schools based on bar passage is pretty silly (to echo other posters). Once the passage rate is 90%+, the only thing that is causing the failures is a handful of people who either don't take the test seriously or are ill on test day. My guess is that top ranked schools tend to have a few more of the former types than your average T2.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:46 pm

UFMatt wrote:What about schools in between? With those stats, I would've expected half tuition scholarships from T20 through T30. If a third option were, let's say, Notre Dame at half price, it might be the best choice.

Having said that, between UT sticker and Baylor full ride, I'd pick UT, and this is coming from someone who is debt averse. Your opportunities will be dramatically higher out of UT.


OP is probably a Texas resident which means tuition would be close to what ND would be with a half tuition scholly. That's probably not a worthwhile option.

User avatar
ec2xs
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby ec2xs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Baylor was voted to have the most competitive students this year. Something to keep in mind if you have a GPA requirement.

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby lt0826 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Would you be happy working at your current firm post-grad from law school? Have they basically said anything along the lines of "Do well in school and a job here is yours?" It sounds like they are very supportive of you. There is A LOT to be said for graduating debt free; it gives you freedom and you won't have to stress about $1-2K a month in loan payments.

In your spot, if I was happy staying in Tx and working in the firm you are at I would take Baylor on a full-ride no question. If I wanted to work somewhere else it would be closer but without any money from UT I am guessing I would end up going with Baylor. If I wanted as many options open to me as possible I would go to UT.

Good luck - nice to have these kinds of decisions.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm assuming you are a Texas resident. If so, I'd pick UT and not think twice about it. If this firm really likes you, I doubt they wouldn't hire you just because you picked Texas over Baylor. And if that did happen, then screw them. There are opportunities coming from Texas you just will not have from Baylor.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:55 pm

ec2xs wrote:Baylor was voted to have the most competitive students this year. Something to keep in mind if you have a GPA requirement.


I was going to throw this aspect in but didn't have much to back it up. I heard from a friend of a friend that the school is loaded with gunners.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
ec2xs wrote:Baylor was voted to have the most competitive students this year. Something to keep in mind if you have a GPA requirement.


I was going to throw this aspect in but didn't have much to back it up. I heard from a friend of a friend that the school is loaded with gunners.


To be fair, there's nothing to do in Waco besides gunning and church.

hth

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Baylor Full Tuition Scholly vs UT sticker

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:52 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
ec2xs wrote:Baylor was voted to have the most competitive students this year. Something to keep in mind if you have a GPA requirement.


I was going to throw this aspect in but didn't have much to back it up. I heard from a friend of a friend that the school is loaded with gunners.


To be fair, there's nothing to do in Waco besides gunning and church.

hth



Just ask this guy...

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: studyingeveryday and 4 guests