Is University of Florida Law = Clown Shoes?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rookhawk

Is University of Florida Law = Clown Shoes?

Postby rookhawk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Just curious about this. UF fans rave about their top ranking for tax law JDs and I think that's just nifty if:

A. True
B. I cared about tax law

Is UF a joke for corporate law, IP law, M&A, etc.?

GATORTIM

Re: Is University of Florida Law = Clown Shoes?

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

It's great if you want to practice in Florida!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Forgive me if this is ignorant... or hijacking... but... if you graduate from Florida, are you going to be stuck doing elder law the rest of your life?

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Better than Florida State University. Those fuckers can't even afford clown shoes.

--ImageRemoved--

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 pm

rookhawk wrote:Just curious about this. UF fans rave about their top ranking for tax law JDs and I think that's just nifty if:

A. True
B. I cared about tax law

Is UF a joke for corporate law, IP law, M&A, etc.?

UF is solid for a tax LLM.

I know several people from my PhD program who went to UF for law school and went on to top IP firms (e.g. Finnegan).

The clown school is in Tallahassee (i.e. FSU), not Gainesville.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26 am

We don't talk about clowns on this forum. Final warning.

atticusreturns

Postby atticusreturns » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 pm

I just stumbled upon this thread. I am a recent UF Law graduate. I work in Washington D.C. In any given year, I would say 5-7% of the class heads to major markets in the NE, California, etc. So the contention that if you are not in the top 5% you will be doomed to PI is a bit overstated. The top 5% at UF Law always have their pick at V20 firms, federal clerkships, federal government positions, etc. Below that, many students get biglaw and midlaw positions in Florida, Atlanta, etc. In fact, the school actually places very well in Atlanta biglaw.

You are correct however, that once you fall below the top 33% or so, it becomes very difficult to find employment that pays $100k+. Most people in that range go on to small firms, SAOs, PDs, etc.

I was top 15% and on law review when I interviewed for summer positions and top 10% when I graduated. I don't regret going to UF Law at all, I graduated with approximately $40k in student loans. Most of the people I work with have $125k+ in loans. In the end we got the same job and earn the same salary, so who's really wearing the clown shoes?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:17 pm

atticusreturns wrote:I just stumbled upon this thread. I am a recent UF Law graduate. I work in Washington D.C. In any given year, I would say 5-7% of the class heads to major markets in the NE, California, etc. So the contention that if you are not in the top 5% you will be doomed to PI is a bit overstated. The top 5% at UF Law always have their pick at V20 firms, federal clerkships, federal government positions, etc. Below that, many students get biglaw and midlaw positions in Florida, Atlanta, etc. In fact, the school actually places very well in Atlanta biglaw.

You are correct however, that once you fall below the top 33% or so, it becomes very difficult to find employment that pays $100k+. Most people in that range go on to small firms, SAOs, PDs, etc.

I was top 15% and on law review when I interviewed for summer positions and top 10% when I graduated. I don't regret going to UF Law at all, I graduated with approximately $40k in student loans. Most of the people I work with have $125k+ in loans. In the end we got the same job and earn the same salary, so who's really wearing the clown shoes?

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of job did you end up with?

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
atticusreturns wrote:I just stumbled upon this thread. I am a recent UF Law graduate. I work in Washington D.C. In any given year, I would say 5-7% of the class heads to major markets in the NE, California, etc. So the contention that if you are not in the top 5% you will be doomed to PI is a bit overstated. The top 5% at UF Law always have their pick at V20 firms, federal clerkships, federal government positions, etc. Below that, many students get biglaw and midlaw positions in Florida, Atlanta, etc. In fact, the school actually places very well in Atlanta biglaw.

atticusreturns

Postby atticusreturns » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Halibut6 wrote:

DC BigLaw. I won't specify the vault range to protect anonymity.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 pm

traehekat wrote:Forgive me if this is ignorant... or hijacking... but... if you graduate from Florida, are you going to be stuck doing elder law the rest of your life?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”