GMU, American, W&M, W&L, ND---for practicing in DC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pjo

Silver

GMU, American, W&M, W&L, ND---for practicing in DC

Post by pjo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before but can someone tell me their thoughts on these schools for practicing in DC? I know ND is the odd ball of this group but which of this schools places best/worst in DC? Thanks

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Re: GMU, American, W&M, W&L, ND---for practicing in DC

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:20 pm

in ranking/heirarchy:

ND has an excellent national reputation and is also the highest rank of your listed options

GMU is in the top 45 (#41) and is located in N. Virginia but, ironically, is closer to downtown DC than American. it is said to be a conservative school and that the student body is rather self-absorbed. the big focus at GMU is economics. it's also in an urban area in NoVA so you're probably not troubled in looking for city life. some say GMU is a school to watch out for in the future. others say that it has plateaued in USNWR rankings. time will tell.

American is in DC and frequently appears in the top 45 (at #45). it's known for having a steep tuition price and being stingy with financial aid. it's also the antithesis of GMU since the student body (and admin./faculty) is said to be predominantly liberal. this school, along with GMU, is vastly underrated. AU also has a big focus on public interest and international law. AU is also in a residential neighborhood in a DC suburb.

W&M is better than both GMU and American and is very respected in DC and, of course, virginia. outside of that, i know nothing of the school.

W&L-i don't know much about.

Ideally, one would shoot for ND because of its degree portability. but, outside of that school, hit up either American or GMU if you're really aiming to practice in DC. GMU is higher-ranked and noticeably cheaper. but American gives you intricate access into DC's legal market just as well as GMU, if not better. it also has better degree mobility. however, the decision is ultimately down to you and your personal preferences.

GPA & LSAT score would be helpful in gauging your chances.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

1.ND - Highest ranked, Rudy, etc.
2.W&M - Good reputation, not familiar with career prospects
3.W&L - Far from DC but respectable.
4.GMU - Conservative, Only Valid in D.C. and down through Va and the Carolinas. Great Law & Econ program.
5.American - too expensive to justify going there and burying yourself in debt, unless you have the money of course.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

thanks for the responses. to the above poster- my GPA is 3.92 and I'm not taking the LSAT until June. I'm not even gonna speculate about my score but these schools will probably be my targets (hopefully I could get into a reach like UVA or GULC which would make my decision easier). Anyway, I'm not from VA but I plan on moving/stayign there after law school hence all the VA schools on my list. I've been to American, which I liked, but I've heard from a lot of ppl that the price doesn't justify the degree. I guess I'm really trying to decide between GMU and W&M (but I also don't know too much at W&L). I guess I didn't realize though that ND would trump these schools so heavily in DC considering these schools are way closer and ND's primary market is chicago. Would you say any of these schools are worth the full price or no?

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm

ram jam wrote:1.ND - Highest ranked, Rudy, etc.
2.W&M - Good reputation, not familiar with career prospects
3.W&L - Far from DC but respectable.
4.GMU - Conservative, Only Valid in D.C. and down through Va and the Carolinas. Great Law & Econ program.
5.American - too expensive to justify going there and burying yourself in debt, unless you have the money of course.
While I agree with most of your analysis, I don't think W&L and W&M are better for practicing in DC than GMU and American. true, they're higher-ranked but that's only because of where they are located. I honestly would attend GMU or American over W&L and W&M were I dead set on going to law school and practicing in DC.

as far as American goes, it is expensive but it's really a great school and, if you do well there (which is what I'm sure people plan on doing when they attend LS), it is worth the debt. and it gives you access into the DC legal market (known as one of the hardest to get into).

i hope the OP takes this info into consideration as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:43 pm

pjo wrote:thanks for the responses. to the above poster- my GPA is 3.92 and I'm not taking the LSAT until June. I'm not even gonna speculate about my score but these schools will probably be my targets (hopefully I could get into a reach like UVA or GULC which would make my decision easier). Anyway, I'm not from VA but I plan on moving/stayign there after law school hence all the VA schools on my list. I've been to American, which I liked, but I've heard from a lot of ppl that the price doesn't justify the degree. I guess I'm really trying to decide between GMU and W&M (but I also don't know too much at W&L). I guess I didn't realize though that ND would trump these schools so heavily in DC considering these schools are way closer and ND's primary market is chicago. Would you say any of these schools are worth the full price or no?

as far as sticker prices are concerned, none (other than the T5) are really worth paying in whole. but, in the real world, probably ND (but even in that case, I'm sure you can pull a grant or merit aid, etc.). the same goes for the other schools--you can push for fin-aid, etc.

in regards to American, it always gets bashed on this website but it really is a strong program and many people do very well coming out of there. and, believe it or not, there are AU grads everywhere in and outside of DC. the degree is worth it if you do well or can foster a crazy network of friends and contacts, esp. in regards to practicing in DC. while AU is expensive and people are skeptical about the degree's cost/benefit analysis, take everything with a grain of salt.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks ATOIsp07, I'll definitely take into consideration about AU. Like I said, I visited and really liked the school/area. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out when I apply next cycle. Hopefully I could pull off some scholarship though

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 pm

pjo wrote:Thanks ATOIsp07, I'll definitely take into consideration about AU. Like I said, I visited and really liked the school/area. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out when I apply next cycle. Hopefully I could pull off some scholarship though
If you get your LSAT into the mid-160s with your GPA you should definitely pull some scholly money at these schools ... if you're above 165 you should have a good chance for G-town, GW, UVA, etc. Good luck, study hard for the LSAT, don't waste that 3.9!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:00 pm

pjo wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed before but can someone tell me their thoughts on these schools for practicing in DC? I know ND is the odd ball of this group but which of this schools places best/worst in DC? Thanks
of all these schools W&L should be the last place you should go if you want to practice in DC. 5% of both ND and W&L alum are working in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”