Ole Miss Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deadpanic

Re: Ole Miss Law

Postby deadpanic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:26 pm

waverider wrote:Does anyone know if many out of state studetents gain residency status after the first year?

The Ole Miss website says that is is possible but is it likely?

I'm not sure if the law school is different from the undergrad but the best way to obtain it is to spend your summers employed in MS. Then, your boss will have to confirm with the school that you were employed the whole summer in MS. As long as you are enrolled full time in school in the Spring & Fall terms and then continue to work through the Summer, I don't think it will be difficult.

But, obviously you want to confirm this through the admissions office.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:27 pm

waverider wrote:Does anyone know if many out of state studetents gain residency status after the first year?

From what I gather it's pretty likely. If you change your voter registration, car registration, get a bank account, rent an apartment, etc. they usually count this as having established domicile/residence for tuition purposes. Call their office to be sure, but I'm pretty confident that's how it works.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:

From what I gather it's pretty likely. If you change your voter registration, car registration, get a bank account, rent an apartment, etc. they usually count this as having established domicile/residence for tuition purposes. Call their office to be sure, but I'm pretty confident that's how it works.

And yes, you'll need to do all of this as well.

waverider

Postby waverider » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:56 pm

waverider have you decided on ole miss? are you going to the open house in april?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:39 am

--LinkRemoved--

By Tim Summers | The Daily Mississippian
Ole Miss law students will have to wait an additional semester to move into the Robert C. Khayat Law Center, as construction has been delayed by inclement weather.

Sixty-nine days have been lost during the construction process. Although the center was scheduled to open this fall, the opening will be set back to Spring 2011.

Outlined in the contractual agreement are certain conditions under which the builders are not required to work, and the last few weeks has been rife with qualifying days.

Dean Samuel M. Davis said in a university press release that despite this qualification, construction has not come to a halt.

Before the building can be considered “in the dry,” Davis said, there are windows that must be installed. The roof, however, is complete and the contractors have begun the interior projects.

“The exterior form of the new building is now a clear landmark to those entering campus from the west along Coliseum Drive,” Davis said.

A new completion date for the project has been set for October 2010. At that point, the new facility will have to pass tests before the law school can open for students.
Comparing it to a ship passing sea-worthiness tests, Davis said the tests will confirm what he believes to be a superior facility.

“The design and construction team remains committed to the highest-quality work,” he said. “When it is complete, the building will make a lasting and major contribution to the Ole Miss campus, both architecturally and academically.”

Staff and faculty plan to move in to their new facility during November and December 2010.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 am

I know that I'm reviving this thread, but I think it is necessary.

My co-worker where I'm spending my 1L summer (he is a 2L from Ole Miss), said that employers were only interviewing the top 10 people at OCI. Top 10 people not top 10%! He knows that because he knows the people at the top an because he actually asked career services. Out of the top 10 people, only 6 received offers.

On another note, a partner at Butler and Snow came to speak at Ole Miss and he said that the firm is not hiring from the school.

On my last note, nalpdirectory states that Phelps Dunbar (MS offices) do not OCI at Ole Miss.

Basically, Ole Miss is still dirt cheap. But chances of making more than ~$50,000 are almost nil.

solarae

Postby solarae » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

if anyone would mind taking a look at this thread, I'd love to get some insight on the space policy center at ole miss.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144984

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:36 pm

solarae wrote:if anyone would mind taking a look at this thread, I'd love to get some insight on the space policy center at ole miss.

Glad you brought that up. People keep ignoring that Ole Miss is T6 in Intergalactic Law. Around 20% of the class takes jobs clerking at Mission Control in Houston, on the International Space Station (which requires astronaut training, don't think that kind of job just falls into your lap), or doing litigation at Cape Canaveral. If you're serious about legal issues in Outer Space, you should strongly look at Ole Miss, even at sticker. I'm pretty sure David Gilmour and Roger Waters both give regular lectures at the schools, which is a big draw for Biglaw partners who like Pink Floyd.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:
solarae wrote:if anyone would mind taking a look at this thread, I'd love to get some insight on the space policy center at ole miss.

Glad you brought that up. People keep ignoring that Ole Miss is T6 in Intergalactic Law. Around 20% of the class takes jobs clerking at Mission Control in Houston, on the International Space Station (which requires astronaut training, don't think that kind of job just falls into your lap), or doing litigation at Cape Canaveral. If you're serious about legal issues in Outer Space, you should strongly look at Ole Miss, even at sticker. I'm pretty sure David Gilmour and Roger Waters both give regular lectures at the schools, which is a big draw for Biglaw partners who like Pink Floyd.

I try not to be a douche bag or support douche baggery, but this is classic.

I will say Ole Miss is dirt cheap and the best school in state though.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I know that I'm reviving this thread, but I think it is necessary.

My co-worker where I'm spending my 1L summer (he is a 2L from Ole Miss), said that employers were only interviewing the top 10 people at OCI. Top 10 people not top 10%! He knows that because he knows the people at the top an because he actually asked career services. Out of the top 10 people, only 6 received offers.

On another note, a partner at Butler and Snow came to speak at Ole Miss and he said that the firm is not hiring from the school.

On my last note, nalpdirectory states that Phelps Dunbar (MS offices) do not OCI at Ole Miss.

Basically, Ole Miss is still dirt cheap. But chances of making more than ~$50,000 are almost nil.

+1 to this. My bro and his friends (3-4 years out of Ole Miss, all finished around median) are making 35-50k in small firms and state government offices. That's good money in MS and those are good jobs. Just don't get over your head in debt (think 30-40k debt, max) and your investment stands a good chance of paying off.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:

I appreciate the encouragement and hearing about those future jobs with NASA are soo exciting! But there is overwhelming testimony to the inability to get good paying jobs. I understand from my own research that space law is pretty low paying right now, and you basically have to be come an 'expert' after many years of having different types of jobs before you're an asset to the industry, and then well paid. I spoke with employees at the policy center at ole miss who didn't even recommend the school they work for. They suggested going to a school which has a better intl studies program , which will help more with jobs than even what the ole miss policy center can provide.

yet I totally actually want to go and spend 3 years actually being around space policy people. I think that would make me happy! Who knows at this point. I still need to get in!

ANYWAY, the reason I came back to this thread is to say that WTF, my status checker still says they haven't received my LSAT score & CAS report, but I know they were sent on the 7th. Ridic!

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 am

solarae wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:

I appreciate the encouragement and hearing about those future jobs with NASA are soo exciting! But there is overwhelming testimony to the inability to get good paying jobs. I understand from my own research that space law is pretty low paying right now, and you basically have to be come an 'expert' after many years of having different types of jobs before you're an asset to the industry, and then well paid. I spoke with employees at the policy center at ole miss who didn't even recommend the school they work for. They suggested going to a school which has a better intl studies program , which will help more with jobs than even what the ole miss policy center can provide.

yet I totally actually want to go and spend 3 years actually being around space policy people. I think that would make me happy! Who knows at this point. I still need to get in!

ANYWAY, the reason I came back to this thread is to say that WTF, my status checker still says they haven't received my LSAT score & CAS report, but I know they were sent on the 7th. Ridic!

Fred's post was a joke, BTW

solarae

Postby solarae » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am

yea, i ignored the joke parts and focused on emphasizing how cool the policy center is :)

NewHere2010

Postby NewHere2010 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Does Ole Miss offer their unemployed graduates a paid fellowship to volunteer at public service organization? I have a friend considering Ole Miss along with a lot of other schools, at least two of which have a program like this.

Thanks!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”