Ole Miss Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
joliveri

New

Ole Miss Law

Post by joliveri » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 am

Anybody know much about Ole Miss? Im curious to hear some feedback since I haven't found too much up on here. Career prospects? Scholarships? Any info is helpful. The area seems very intriguing and Im contemplating sending out an application to them but I would like more info from third parties before I do so. Thanks.

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Re: Ole Miss Law

Post by Sean Bateman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 am

I'm going to apply here too. My info is just as good as yours but here is what I've gathered.

Because it is unranked (T3), many people on this board would call us fools for even considering. I want to say that it was at some point in the top 100 and that it probably will be again. However, being unranked doesn't mean that it's not the best law school in the state. If you want to work in this area, I think it's a great pick with pretty decent job prospects. I know a 1L there now who happens to love it. They say the town of Oxford is without a doubt one of the best places to live in this country which is always nice. Because it is a T3 with lower medians than we may be used to, anybody with decent numbers (3.35/165 myself) should be able to get hefty scholarship offers. Personally, If Ole Miss offers me a full ride it won't be easy to turn it down.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:32 am

Sean Bateman wrote:I'm going to apply here too. My info is just as good as yours but here is what I've gathered.

Because it is unranked (T3), many people on this board would call us fools for even considering. I want to say that it was at some point in the top 100 and that it probably will be again. However, being unranked doesn't mean that it's not the best law school in the state. If you want to work in this area, I think it's a great pick with pretty decent job prospects. I know a 1L there now who happens to love it. They say the town of Oxford is without a doubt one of the best places to live in this country which is always nice. Because it is a T3 with lower medians than we may be used to, anybody with decent numbers (3.35/165 myself) should be able to get hefty scholarship offers. Personally, If Ole Miss offers me a full ride it won't be easy to turn it down.
Conventional wisdom is that rank doesn't matter at a school like Ole Miss, as long as you want to practice in Mississippi. A school like Hofstra or St. Johns that is ranked higher than Ole Miss isn't necessarily better. While Hofstra and St. Johns have at least half a dozen schools ranked ahead of them in the NYC area, Ole Miss owns Mississippi. The same is true from just about any T3 or T4... if it's the only law school in the state and you want to practice in that state, rank doesn't matter. Do you think all the Ole Miss grads doing the hiring at firms in Mississippi care what the school's current rank is? No.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

I think a school like Ole Miss can be a really smart decision if you want to live and work in Miss (which is a great state). Ultimately, though, bear in mind that although employers won't worry too much about US News Rankings, your class rank will be hugely, majorly, unbelievably important. As such, just know what you're getting yourself into on that front--be prepared to be thrown in with ~200 other people who are totally unsure as to whether they'll end up with acceptable employment. Beyond that though, Ole Miss and Oxford are great places to live and work, and like I said I think the decision makes sense.

joliveri

New

Post by joliveri » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 am

my only problem is that I have absolutely no idea what legal market I want to work in. I'm from Rhode Island and my father is an attorney here with very good connections so I am thinking that if worse comes to worse that I could always just end up back here. Im just nervous if I chose a school like Ole Miss and ended up not liking Mississippi. Would I be stuck?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:46 am

joliveri wrote:my only problem is that I have absolutely no idea what legal market I want to work in. I'm from Rhode Island and my father is an attorney here with very good connections so I am thinking that if worse comes to worse that I could always just end up back here. Im just nervous if I chose a school like Ole Miss and ended up not liking Mississippi. Would I be stuck?
Yes, you would very likely be stuck in either Mississippi or wherever your dad can finagle you a job.

joliveri

New

Post by joliveri » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks for the info. and help guys, I appreciate it.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 pm

joliveri wrote:my only problem is that I have absolutely no idea what legal market I want to work in. I'm from Rhode Island and my father is an attorney here with very good connections so I am thinking that if worse comes to worse that I could always just end up back here. Im just nervous if I chose a school like Ole Miss and ended up not liking Mississippi. Would I be stuck?
In your case, if you're looking at a T3 school, what about Syracuse? Do well and you could get to NYC, possibly even DC. Not the worst places to be stuck.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
In your case, if you're looking at a T3 school, what about Syracuse? Do well and you could get to NYC, possibly even DC. Not the worst places to be stuck.
--LinkRemoved--

Tuition at Syracuse is $43,500 per year. Dear God...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Doritos wrote: --LinkRemoved--

Massive waste of money.

joliveri

New

Post by joliveri » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I actually already got an app out to Syracuse earlier this year. Im thinking I am going to get a decent amount of money from them too (hopefully). Without a substantial scholly package however, as noted by others, it is ridiculously expensive.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 pm

joliveri wrote:Anybody know much about Ole Miss? Im curious to hear some feedback since I haven't found too much up on here. Career prospects? Scholarships? Any info is helpful. The area seems very intriguing and Im contemplating sending out an application to them but I would like more info from third parties before I do so. Thanks.
Ole Miss is great.

I went to admitted students day last year.

I can understand why people would think that Ole Miss generally dominates the state. But that is only so because the top X percent of Ole Miss will always be hired by employers in Mississippi (so they are more represented - Mississippi College has a massive representation as well [strange for a ~25 year old school competing with a 100+ year old school]).

Anyway, just be aware that the firms with offices in Mississippi also recruit from Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas and Alabama schools (and depending on which firm, also Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida). This shouldn't alarm you too much, because they generally only want to hire people with 1) ultra high grades or 2) good grades with a connection to Mississippi.

With a straight face I will say that many of the people that I met while I was at Ole miss there had no clue about how employment or how their future was going to work - should you decide to go to Ole Miss, you would have an advantage because you better pre-law knowledge (employment, exams, etc.) courtesy of tls.com. The only people that had a clue were upper level students ( a 3L told a horror story which I would rather not share).

Feel free to ask me a questions - either here or PM me (if one doesn't work, try the other)

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Doritos wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

Um ... yeah, never mind. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 pm

My brother is an undergrad at Ole Miss, and I know a few people in law school there (or are planning to go to law school there.) One of the things I hear most often is that employment after graduation is ALL about who you know. Several have described the state as "one big country club," so if you don't have ties in Mississippi or don't think you'll be in the very top of your class, it might be difficult to find a great job after graduation. This is all hearsay, though!

FWIW, Oxford is AMAZING. Seriously. My favorite place in the south, by far.

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 am

To throw out a little more information, they have been working on a new law school building right now, and it looks awesome. Really, really awesome. The current building is a dump, but if I were considering applying to Ole Miss for law school I would definitely be interested in checking out the new facilities.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:38 am

I visited Ole Miss law last year and have friends that are 1 and 2Ls there, they seem to love it. Oxford is somewhat small so if you're from a large city and/or not used to small town life, you're going to have to adjust. That being said, Oxford is beautiful, a genuine southern small town to a t. The square has great bars, the undergrads are very attractive, and of course you've got the Grove.

From what I have heard about job prospects is what everyone else is saying, portability is a big issue in going out of state. In state, you will probably be fine considering Ole Miss dominates Mississippi, but beware that there is really not a huge law market in the vicinity. Jackson is probably your best bet (or maybe staying in Oxford). Ole Miss does okay in Memphis, but keep in mind that is not a large legal market either (and you're competing against Memphis, Tennessee, some Alabama, and maybe Arkansas).

Their new law building is going to be amazing, and from what I understand, it is scheduled to be completed in fall 2010. The old building is a pit, I agree (oddly enough it's the only building on campus that isn't amazing). Ole Miss does have a country club feel (partially bc the campus is so nice) so if you're not from MS, that may play a part. Hope that helps.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 am

eskimo wrote:My brother is an undergrad at Ole Miss, and I know a few people in law school there (or are planning to go to law school there.) One of the things I hear most often is that employment after graduation is ALL about who you know. Several have described the state as "one big country club," so if you don't have ties in Mississippi or don't think you'll be in the very top of your class, it might be difficult to find a great job after graduation. This is all hearsay, though!

FWIW, Oxford is AMAZING. Seriously. My favorite place in the south, by far.
It isn't hearsay....it's the truth. You need to be top 10% or have great connections to get a good job out of OM. Source? Brother went there.

Oxford is fun for about 2 years. Gets old after that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yours

New

Post by yours » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:41 am

agree with the above. athens can do everything oxford can do, and it's a better law school. i went to ole miss ug sight unseen, and think it was a mistake. that's not the place you want to get stuck at.

Thomas Sutpen

New

Post by Thomas Sutpen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:25 am

I go to Ole Miss currently as an undergrad and my roommate is in law school there.
He is happy with his decision. He went to UVA undergrad and is from Tennesse. Ole Miss has some pull with firms around Mississippi (ie Memphis) and is definitely the be all end all in Mississippi. That being said, you're in for a different world down here coming from Rhode Island. I don't think you want to stick yourself permanently in a place that you're not intimately familiar with. And Ole Miss can be very hard on outsiders (coming from an insider).
The law school also does NOT have very much money AT ALL to give for scholarships. They are building a new law school currently, which will be finished by August 2010, and will be amazing. Expect to see Ole Miss in the Top 100 immediately. It's the biggest building on campus and will blow your mind, and is massively expensive.
But the people are very nice, not cut throat, and the atmosphere is outstanding for a law school. So if you just watched Gone with the Wind and can't handle another year up in Yankee land, maybe you want to give it a chance. It can charm your pants off if you let it.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 am

If you're from Rhode Island, you better make real sure you like Mississippi. Some parts of the state are still living in 1950.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 am

Thomas Sutpen wrote:I go to Ole Miss currently as an undergrad and my roommate is in law school there.
He is happy with his decision. He went to UVA undergrad and is from Tennesse. Ole Miss has some pull with firms around Mississippi (ie Memphis) and is definitely the be all end all in Mississippi. That being said, you're in for a different world down here coming from Rhode Island. I don't think you want to stick yourself permanently in a place that you're not intimately familiar with. And Ole Miss can be very hard on outsiders (coming from an insider).
The law school also does NOT have very much money AT ALL to give for scholarships. They are building a new law school currently, which will be finished by August 2010, and will be amazing. Expect to see Ole Miss in the Top 100 immediately. It's the biggest building on campus and will blow your mind, and is massively expensive.
But the people are very nice, not cut throat, and the atmosphere is outstanding for a law school. So if you just watched Gone with the Wind and can't handle another year up in Yankee land, maybe you want to give it a chance. It can charm your pants off if you let it.
Why do ALL Ole Miss people think that the law school will suddenly jump into the T100 just because of the new building? I heard this literally 5 or 6 times while I was there.

Look at the USNWR and tell me where "nice new building" is among the criteria.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:54 am

swheat wrote:
Why do ALL Ole Miss people think that the law school will suddenly jump into the T100 just because of the new building? I heard this literally 5 or 6 times while I was there.

Look at the USNWR and tell me where "nice new building" is among the criteria.
I was also wondering that...

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:05 am

They said that too when I visited Ole Miss last year.

Here's my speculation:
-First of all, let's face it, Ole Miss is a pretty lucrative option for those applicants looking in the bottom of top 100/T3 range--it's a big state school with cheap tuition, residency is easy to establish, they have solid recognition in the sports world, and they have a reputation for being a factory for trophy wives.
-With that being said, I think that Ole Miss tends to bank on their new facility in the terms of "peer ranking/review." I visited LSU and Ole Miss last year and they were incredibly similar with the exception of the building (and that whole common/civil law thing). Job prospects were mediocre at both schools and the portability of each degree could be questioned with reason. Numerically, Ole Miss isn't too far from LSU either.

Just my two cents.

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 am

I also went to Ole Miss for undergrad. I was not an insider and had never even visited the deep south before I went down there for school. I can see where some people would say that it's difficult on outsiders, but I think the real key is to find your niche. I struggled at first, but once I found a group of friends and places to hang out, Oxford was actually pretty nice.

I applied and I've been accepted, but it's really not at the top of my list. The campus is beautiful and those who say there's nothing to do in Oxford just aren't looking, but there are very few other places like it in Mississippi once you graduate.

On a side note, for anyone who's going there for a visit, be sure to visit Graceland Too, the Universe's Number One Elvis attraction, up in Holly Springs. Even if you don't end up in Oxford, it'll make the trip worth it.

Matypete

New

Post by Matypete » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 am

Ole Miss? Here's some info: hottest girls in the country...

...according to many.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”