Going for Marine Corps JAG- Prestige of School a factor..? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Saurus

New

Going for Marine Corps JAG- Prestige of School a factor..?

Post by Saurus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I will be attending law school this upcoming fall (been accepted at Tulane, Indiana, and Houston, not dead certain where I'll go yet, leaning towards Houston), and I want to hit the ground running in regards to becoming a Marine Corps JAG officer. Feel free to post any advice, stories of other people and the procedures they took to attain this, etc. I'm waiting on some other schools, (wustl, william & mary) but I'm getting the idea that school rank and prestige isn't the most important thing in pursuing this route. Any thoughts?

JOThompson

Silver

Re: Going for Marine Corps JAG- Prestige of School a factor..?

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:28 am

Saurus wrote:I will be attending law school this upcoming fall (been accepted at Tulane, Indiana, and Houston, not dead certain where I'll go yet, leaning towards Houston), and I want to hit the ground running in regards to becoming a Marine Corps JAG officer. Feel free to post any advice, stories of other people and the procedures they took to attain this, etc. I'm waiting on some other schools, (wustl, william & mary) but I'm getting the idea that school rank and prestige isn't the most important thing in pursuing this route. Any thoughts?
While JAG is becoming more competitive, the quality of your school seems to be one of the less important factors for acceptance. Boards will take a pretty holistic approach to your application, focusing much more on your commitment to service and aptitude for leadership than the prestige of your school. For instance, there are a number of Cooley and T3/T4 4402s. If you want to be a Marine Judge Advocate, focus on your Physical Fitness Test. That said, I would still recommend that you get into the best school that's financially feasible to attend, so that you'll have options if/when you leave the service. Also, Marine Corps JAG slots also tend to be easier to come by than positions in the Navy or Air Force. For more info, visit http://www.marineocs.com.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”