UVA's biglaw reach

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
derwin

UVA's biglaw reach

Postby derwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey, I know I can go look at UVA's graduating class profile and see what % of grads work in what states, but that does not give me the entire answer to my question, so I wanted to ask this forum what their opinion was regarding UVA's biglaw reach.

I am not sure exactly what legal market I want to work in, and I really do not want to box myself in before I even reach 1L. I would like to have strong options in Chicago, NY, DC, and perhaps smaller NE-Midwest/maybe southeast (Atlanta/Texas) markets.

I have applied to UPenn, Mich, Chicago, Columbia and NYU, all schools with (aside from Mich) pretty specific markets, but still a strong reach across the east coast. I am considering adding some schools like Vandy, UVA, and Duke to my list, but here I specifically wanted to ask your opinion of UVA's reach into Chicago, NY and DC biglaw markets.

Thanks!

LawandOrder

Re: UVA's biglaw reach

Postby LawandOrder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 pm

It's good.

NosferatuDracon

Postby NosferatuDracon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:56 pm

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/career_map.htm

You'll notice the number of graduates from the past few years in each market and what their salary there was.

I think that's about as good of an answer as you'll get to be totally honest. I found this map to be extremely useful and detailed.

derwin

Postby derwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:56 pm

On par with Mich and UPenn (its T10 peers)?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:59 pm

derwin wrote:On par with Mich and UPenn (its T10 peers)?

If you were thinking east (NY, Boston), midwest or west, I'd personally take Michigan over UVA, but it's probably not a huge difference if you can show a tie to a region...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:03 pm

derwin wrote:Hey, I know I can go look at UVA's graduating class profile and see what % of grads work in what states, but that does not give me the entire answer to my question, so I wanted to ask this forum what their opinion was regarding UVA's biglaw reach.

I am not sure exactly what legal market I want to work in, and I really do not want to box myself in before I even reach 1L. I would like to have strong options in Chicago, NY, DC, and perhaps smaller NE-Midwest/maybe southeast (Atlanta/Texas) markets.

I have applied to UPenn, Mich, Chicago, Columbia and NYU, all schools with (aside from Mich) pretty specific markets, but still a strong reach across the east coast. I am considering adding some schools like Vandy, UVA, and Duke to my list, but here I specifically wanted to ask your opinion of UVA's reach into Chicago, NY and DC biglaw markets.

Thanks!

NYC - NYU > UofC > Penn= Michigan = UVA

Chicago - UofC > Michigan = Northwestern > UVA = Penn = NYU

DC- UVA >= Gtown > U of C > NYU = Mich = Penn

Wahoo1L

Postby Wahoo1L » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
derwin wrote:Hey, I know I can go look at UVA's graduating class profile and see what % of grads work in what states, but that does not give me the entire answer to my question, so I wanted to ask this forum what their opinion was regarding UVA's biglaw reach.

Thanks!

NYC - NYU > UofC > Penn= Michigan = UVA

Chicago - UofC > Michigan = Northwestern > UVA = Penn = NYU

DC- UVA >= Gtown > U of C > NYU = Mich = Penn

I think this overstates UVA's placement in the DC market. While UVA does send a fair number of people to DC (I think it's equal to NYC for the percentage the ends up in DC), there is quite a bit of self selection that occurs. It's really tough to say whether UVA places better or worse than it's peer institutions given that most people don't have access to GPA charts for multiple schools.

However, for the southeast and Texas I would venture to guess UVA places a bit better than peer schools given that it's a bit more southern than other schools. Once again, this might be a product of self-selection.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm sure that OP is also curious about how UVA does in California. He thanks you in advance.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I'm sure that OP is also curious about how UVA does in California. He thanks you in advance.

It's true, this discussion has never occurred before.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”