Emory? JK, sort of.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rocross1

Emory? JK, sort of.

Postby rocross1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:52 pm

If I go to Emory can I have a class with President Carter? Can I call him Jimmy? Jokes aside what is his role at Emory does he teach classes? Does the secret service investigate students backgrounds in his class? I assume he just comes by occasionaly and gives a speech or a lecture on campus, still cool. On a similar note does the law school have any high profile professors or guest speakers?

treeey86

Re: Emory? JK, sort of.

Postby treeey86 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 pm

I am not sure how often President Carter lectures or gives speeches. I believe he is associated with the undergraduate school anyway...as is the Dali Lama... The law school is stocked with legal "rockstars." Terrell is one of the nations best legal writers, Freer wrote one of the most used books on Civil Procedure, and and Witte is considered one of the leading scholars of law and religion, just to name a few.

http://www.law.emory.edu/faculty/faculty-profiles.html

I really do not get why people joke about Emory here. Maybe it is due to a lack of info and representation on TLS. It is truly a top school in a great market and probably is one of the legal profession's best hidden gems.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah I would like to see more Emory love around here. I applied and it is definitely one of my top choices.

aviddave

Postby aviddave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:08 pm

President Carter comes every fall to do a town hall style Q&A. It is usually open to all students and faculty who get tickets (first come, first serve). He was actually tenured by the President of the University while I was an UG there. And, he was the first former president to speak after 9/11; One of the events I attended.

As far as I know, he does not teach (and hasn't taught) any regular classroom classes. His wife has taught some though.

The lack of Emory love on TLS is disappointing. I'm waiting to hear back from them still, but I personally would rather attend Emory than several T14 schools on my list. Atlanta is beautiful, and the Emory campus stunning. My experiences with the law school were always positive.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm

I appreciate the info for those of you at Emory, law or undergrad please keep sharing. I am going down friday and will post about my experience. My goal is to secure $$$ I got 84K at wake and thats nice, but only 30k from ND my top choice if Emory gives me some big $ I plan on attending.

JMBrown32

Postby JMBrown32 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm

rocross1 wrote:I appreciate the info for those of you at Emory, law or undergrad please keep sharing. I am going down friday and will post about my experience. My goal is to secure $$$ I got 84K at wake and thats nice, but only 30k from ND my top choice if Emory gives me some big $ I plan on attending.

Slightly off topic, but would you mind sharing your numbers?

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 pm

166 3.98 with good softs including military and volunteer work.

hotwater

Postby hotwater » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Out of curiosity, did you ever get a complete email?

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:45 pm

hotwater wrote:Out of curiosity, did you ever get a complete email?

Yes if I remember correctly, but I believe it took awhile. I also got my acceptance before Christmas via a flattering phone call from the dean of admissions which according to my wife swelled my head way too much.

hotwater

Postby hotwater » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Ah, thats incredible, congratulations! Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I was just at Emory a few weeks ago, but it was empty because students were on vacation. I'll be interested to hear what you think!

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:53 pm

cnn is headquartered in atlanta, how cool would it be to be their legal analyst?

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:54 pm

hotwater wrote:Ah, thats incredible, congratulations! Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I was just at Emory a few weeks ago, but it was empty because students were on vacation. I'll be interested to hear what you think!

What was the campus and the school like? Have you visited any other schools that you could compare it to, and was the trip there helpful or just a standard tour? I have a meeting with the dean of admissons and financial aid on friday after a tour and I really hope it is a helpful and fruitful meeting.

hotwater

Postby hotwater » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

sfd
Last edited by hotwater on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Yea I really look forward to seeing the campus, I hope you get in. Good luck.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 pm

nematoad wrote:cnn is headquartered in atlanta, how cool would it be to be their legal analyst?

Not as cool as representing Ludacris, but cooler than being TNT's legal analyst.

+1 on Emory love, though...great school that is definitely underrated on TLS and, many say, in USNWR.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
nematoad wrote:cnn is headquartered in atlanta, how cool would it be to be their legal analyst?

Not as cool as representing Ludacris, but cooler than being TNT's legal analyst.

+1 on Emory love, though...great school that is definitely underrated on TLS and, many say, in USNWR.

i don't understand why people consider it underrated on USNWR. what makes it better than any T30? it has nowhere near the reputation / placement ability of the UT/UCLA/Vandy tier. at T20, emory has hit its peak.

that said, i feel like emory gets a lot more crap than it deserves on this site, especially when it's compared to uga.

NightVision

Postby NightVision » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:56 pm

rocross1 wrote:If I go to Emory can I have a class with President Carter? Can I call him Jimmy? Jokes aside what is his role at Emory does he teach classes? Does the secret service investigate students backgrounds in his class? I assume he just comes by occasionaly and gives a speech or a lecture on campus, still cool. On a similar note does the law school have any high profile professors or guest speakers?

I don't know if he teaches classes but he does give speeches fairly often. He did a reading of his personal poetry last semester and he was at the law school [w/ secret service] giving a speech Thursday.

T_Easy

Postby T_Easy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:48 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

i don't understand why people consider it underrated on USNWR. what makes it better than any T30? it has nowhere near the reputation / placement ability of the UT/UCLA/Vandy tier. at T20, emory has hit its peak.

that said, i feel like emory gets a lot more crap than it deserves on this site, especially when it's compared to uga.

UGA places just as well as Emory in the biggest legal market in the South (Atlanta). UGA students have also landed more Supreme Court clerks this decade than Emory. Emory really only has a slight advantage when going north to D.C.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”