Loyola Law at sticker vs. Southwestern with $$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chango

Bronze

Loyola Law at sticker vs. Southwestern with $$$

Post by chango » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Loyola Law at sticker vs. Southwestern paying 100% of years 2 and 3. Assume Entertainment Law focus and staying in Southern Cal to practice.

hans3n

Bronze

Re: Loyola Law at sticker vs. Southwestern with $$$

Post by hans3n » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Taking out the entertainment law part, go Southwestern. WITH the entertainment law in mind, its less of an obvious choice. I would probably still lean toward Southwestern. How much debt going to LLS v.s Southwestern? That should be taken into consideration heavily in my opinion

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm

hans3n wrote:Taking out the entertainment law part, go Southwestern. WITH the entertainment law in mind, its less of an obvious choice. I would probably still lean toward Southwestern. How much debt going to LLS v.s Southwestern? That should be taken into consideration heavily in my opinion

Really? I was under the impression that the Entertainment Law program at Southwestern is worth more than its ranking would suggest. Am I mistaken?

Final debt figures TBD, but for the sake of argument, let's say 90K at Loyola vs. 30K at Southwestern.

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 pm

I would say Southwestern then. I honestly don't know about Southwesterns entertainment Law program, I just know Loyolas is very good. If Southwestern has a good program, then definitely Southwestern. You would have to do some research into their program though.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 pm

And your numbers are off, unless you have some $$$ you start with:
Loyola - 40k+/year tution, 25K books/COL/etc. = $195K
SW= 75K books/COL/etc, + whatever tuition is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 pm

ruleser wrote:And your numbers are off, unless you have some $$$ you start with:
Loyola - 40k+/year tution, 25K books/COL/etc. = $195K
SW= 75K books/COL/etc, + whatever tuition is.

Yeah, I'm starting off with some money, and I was only calculating "hard" costs.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Ah, ok, well if you are talking total debt only 30K vs. 90K, I'd personally do Loyola. You have a shot a Big Law, if you do well you can transfer to T1 (saw someone transferred to Berkeley), and the job prospects in general are substantially better. But still either way is an ok call - ask around, I personally don't buy the 'entertainment law' thing. But check with a few firms around town. I'd see it harder to get into ent law out of SW since a lot of that is handled by Big Law, but don't know for sure...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 pm

I dunno dude. I'm in the top 10% at Southwestern this semester (pretty sure, 3.616 with one grade remaining). I may not have been able to pull that off at Loyola and that might have translated into poorer prospects for me. If the OP in interested in entertainment law, Southwestern definitely has the stronger program. Also the ability to take copyright as a 1L (which you can do at Southwestern) matters a lot in terms of getting externships that first summer.

Btw, the entertainment law externships are in the studios, not the big firms. There are lots of smaller offices in LA that practice entertainment law.
Last edited by Danteshek on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Danteshek wrote:I dunno dude. I'm in the top 10% at Southwestern this semester. I may not have been able to pull that off at Loyola and that might have translated into poorer prospects for me. If the OP in interested in entertainment law, Southwestern definitely has the stronger program. Also the ability to take copyright as a 1L (which you can do at Southwestern) matters a lot in terms of getting externships that first summer.

Yeah, just sat in on the Copyright Law this morning and was VERY impressed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eaters333

New

Post by eaters333 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 pm

No offense to Southwestern but I work in the entertainment industry, via entertainment agency, and LMU is much stronger in terms of reputation.

bconly

New

Post by bconly » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:19 am

Having talked to everybody from agents to entertainment lawyers, Loyola has a much better rep than SW.

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 am

Loyola

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”