Pissed at Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
angry_ram

Pissed at Fordham

Postby angry_ram » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:52 pm

New account, one post only, not going to stick around for questions as the info will at least identify my section and I don't want OperaSoprano trying to hunt me down for all the bad things I'm about to say about the school. Granted there are some good things, but that side of the story has already been told.

Here's a list of Fordham's crimes:
-Dean having no tact when dealing with employers.
-Financial aid money not received until October.
-Professor A missed two weeks worth of classes to look for a teaching job elsewhere and had no clue how to organize a class when he was there.
-Professor B showed up about 10 minutes late every day because he was finishing his powerpoint, which was riddled with typos if he even bothered to follow it.
-Professors in general don't have set office hours, making it a pain in the ass to talk to them.
-The book list is released 1-2 weeks before classes (and hidden on the bookstore website) making it impossible to shop around for better prices.
-Classes start tomorrow and we haven't received a single syllabus.
-One class is delayed until next week because they haven't even hired a professor yet.
-2/3 of 1L classes are taught by adjuncts/visiting professors. All have been horrible (see above).
-EIGHT. Firms. Total. For Spring OCI.
-But that's OK because only Harry Potter knows if we'll ever get last semester's grades.
-Which isn't that bad, because if you sat at the front of the exam, you were distracted by the minimum wage proctors randomly pulled off the streets talking the entire time.
-But at least you know your scholarship is safe-no GPA requirements-and will cover some ever shrinking percentage of what you have to pay next year, which they won't tell you until late July

And now you know the rest of the story.

JazzOne

Re: Pissed at Fordham

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Tag!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 pm

IBOS

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:04 pm

kittenmittons wrote:IBOS

Took the words right out of my mouth.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:05 pm

JazzOne wrote:Tag!

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:07 pm

What does IBOS mean? Google gave me nothing

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Everyone knows that Fordham is an administrative nightmare, though the professor suckage is a surprise to me. Fordham is a last ditch effort to get biglaw for ivy league undergrad LSAT choke artists. In this economy, the school is showing its true colors.

Sorry OS, I know the school works for your needs quite well.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:What does IBOS mean? Google gave me nothing

yeah someone please explain... I came up with 'in before OS' but I still don't know what OS is.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Bankhead wrote:Fordham is a last ditch effort to get biglaw for ivy league undergrad LSAT choke artists. In this economy, the school is showing its true colors.

Ouch. My heart hurt a little when I read that, just for OS's sake.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm guessing it means: In Before OperaSoprano - the defender of all things Fordham.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:12 pm

bees wrote:I'm guessing it means: In Before OperaSoprano - the defender of all things Fordham.

I think this makes sense... since in one of the OS threads they were talking about her. But I need more explanation now. Does that mean this person started there before her, or does this mean that the poster's statements will be destroyed when she arrives?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:16 pm

This thread should be discussed on the merits. Not what "IBOS" means.

interestedbyestander

Postby interestedbyestander » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Bankhead wrote:This thread should be discussed on the merits. Not what "IBOS" means.

Merits? Sounds like Fordham's lack of merits is the issue. :lol:

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Bankhead wrote:This thread should be discussed on the merits. Not what "IBOS" means.

That's why we're waiting for OS to arrive. The discussion cannot commence without her.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I'll taunt. That will lure her in:

"Cardozo! Cardozo! Cardozo!"

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I agree completely.

It's....interesting while simultaneously being disturbing.

I wish the OP was still online for discussion (if you read this OP PM me).

Everyone knows that "teaching" students is the last thing on the minds of law schools/administration.

But this seems extraordinary - if things were like this at a T4, more people would shrug (as if it was expected).

However the administration there probably thinks it can get away with this because it has a lock on anyone who wants to be in NYC who doesn't get into Columbia/NYU.

It's hard to blame the administration for thinking that because it's true (those schools only have so many seats - even for people with good numbers).

I mean all of the issues are major except for the books and the syllabi.

A shame.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Oh no, I don't have time for this tonight. I have to be very brief, because as OP stated, our classes start tomorrow. I have no intention of hunting him or her down, since that really is not my style.

OP is not in my section, since none of my professors missed class. We do have one visiting professor, and I adore her. I already have my grade in her class. My professors and TA are all accessible, and my Ks professor usually stays after class to talk to students, sometimes for more than an hour.

The Reed Smith thing has been discussed at length already, and my opinions are well known.

Our finaid money was distributed late, but that was actually not the law school's fault, and our finaid office did not penalize anyone for paying their tuition late. I was concerned about COL money, and talked to DB about it. A few days later I had my check in hand. The school administration has always treated me very well, and I know our finaid office was upset about the situation. I don't think it will happen again.

Our syllabi and book lists are up. OP should look.

I can't comment on the proctor issues because ours were fine. One started us a few minutes late, but let us make the time up.

The Spring OCI list is not complete yet. Furthermore, there will be well over 100 employers at the PI fair (hosted by NYU in Feb, which Fordham participates in). As 1Ls, the vast majority of us will be doing some type of PI work this summer. For those who want firm jobs, OCI in August is what actually matters, particularly EIW. I am a 1L, so I haven't been through it yet, but will of course report back when I do.

I waited five and a half months to get into Fordham, and the school has been everything I wanted it to be. It's not perfect, but it's a wonderful place to study law, and I am happy here. I need not go on about the Public Interest Resource Center (PIRC) or the kick ass internship I was able to find through one of the clubs. Neither do I need to mention the party one of our professors threw for us at her apartment, which was a blast. I hope the school convinces her to stay on. She made her subject fun and engaging, and I am very glad to have been in her class.

Also note: I am no Ivy Leaguer, nor do I want biglaw. However, I'm quite happy with my present circumstances.

interestedbyestander

Postby interestedbyestander » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:37 pm

It's hard to evaluate the Fordham reality of OP and OS ... one creates a TLS account for this topic and the other has obvious bias. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:43 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Oh no, I don't have time for this tonight. I have to be very brief, because as OP stated, our classes start tomorrow. I have no intention of hunting him or her down, since that really is not my style.

OP is not in my section, since none of my professors missed class. We do have one visiting professor, and I adore her. I already have my grade in her class. My professors and TA are all accessible, and my Ks professor usually stays after class to talk to students, sometimes for more than an hour.

The Reed Smith thing has been discussed at length already, and my opinions are well known.

Our finaid money was distributed late, but that was actually not the law school's fault, and our finaid office did not penalize anyone for paying their tuition late. I was concerned about COL money, and talked to DB about it. A few days later I had my check in hand. The school administration has always treated me very well, and I know our finaid office was upset about the situation. I don't think it will happen again.

I can't comment on the proctor issues because ours were fine. One started us a few minutes late, but let us make the time up.

The Spring OCI list is not complete yet. Furthermore, there will be well over 100 employers at the PI fair (hosted by NYU in Feb, which Fordham participates in). As 1Ls, the vast majority of us will be doing some type of PI work this summer. For those who want firm jobs, OCI in August is what actually matters, particularly EIW. I am a 1L, so I haven't been through it yet, but will of course report back when I do.

I waited five and a half months to get into Fordham, and the school has been everything I wanted it to be. It's not perfect, but it's a wonderful place to study law, and I am happy here. I need not go on about the Public Interest Resource Center (PIRC) or the kick ass internship I was able to find through one of the clubs. Neither do I need to mention the party one of our professors threw for us at her apartment, which was a blast. I hope the school convinces her to stay on. She made her subject fun and engaging, and I am very glad to have been in her class.

Also note: I am no Ivy Leaguer, nor do I want biglaw. However, I'm quite happy with my present circumstances.

If this is the brief version, I can't wait to see the tl;dr version. :)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:44 pm

interestedbyestander wrote:It's hard to evaluate the Fordham reality of OP and OS ... one creates a TLS account for this topic and the other has obvious bias. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.

I love the school, but I have no special incentive to love it so. I'm paying sticker, and I was waitlisted for 99 days before getting in. I could've taken money at many other schools, but Fordham was the right fit for me.

I firmly believe that you get out what you put in. I tried to put my heart and soul into this whole endeavor, which perhaps accounts for my experience. Was I frustrated at times? Yeah. I wish the school had more money, as summer funding will be tough to come by. I feel the school is extremely honest with students, however. DB actually told me I did not need to go through with my June retake at the time he admitted me.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm

im_blue wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Oh no, I don't have time for this tonight. I have to be very brief, because as OP stated, our classes start tomorrow. I have no intention of hunting him or her down, since that really is not my style.

If this is the brief version, I can't wait to see the tl;dr version. :)

lol, i'm_blue, have you never heard of the infamous ENFP overshare?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:06 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
interestedbyestander wrote:It's hard to evaluate the Fordham reality of OP and OS ... one creates a TLS account for this topic and the other has obvious bias. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.

I love the school, but I have no special incentive to love it so. I'm paying sticker, and I was waitlisted for 99 days before getting in. I could've taken money at many other schools, but Fordham was the right fit for me.

I firmly believe that you get out what you put in. I tried to put my heart and soul into this whole endeavor, which perhaps accounts for my experience. Was I frustrated at times? Yeah. I wish the school had more money, as summer funding will be tough to come by. I feel the school is extremely honest with students, however. DB actually told me I did not need to go through with my June retake at the time he admitted me.

Do you really love the school? You love going to a T30 in NYC... C'mon.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:10 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I firmly believe that you get out what you put in. I tried to put my heart and soul into this whole endeavor, which perhaps accounts for my experience. Was I frustrated at times? Yeah. I wish the school had more money, as summer funding will be tough to come by. I feel the school is extremely honest with students, however. DB actually told me I did not need to go through with my June retake at the time he admitted me.

I remember a similar incident my freshman year of undergrad. Someone was expelled (not sure if it was before or after) and made a video about all the 'problems' with the school. They apparently got a parking ticket for stopping at a stop sign, etc, etc. But I loved it... and most people loved it. Sometimes people just have crappy experiences.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Bankhead wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Do you really love the school? You love going to a T30 in NYC... C'mon.

These are merely descriptive terms for the school, and not separate from the school itself, unless there is another T30 in NYC I somehow overlooked when putting together my apps. No, NYU and CLS do not qualify, though I have enough friends at both to know that attending either must be a wonderful experience. Fordham is not going to move, and the location, since you mention it, is an epic win.

In point of fact I was a NYC resident who did not want to leave, but I could have done so. I gave up a near lock on a higher score (negligible prep the first time) because I was happy with the outcome of my cycle, and remain so.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:19 pm

sibley wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I firmly believe that you get out what you put in. I tried to put my heart and soul into this whole endeavor, which perhaps accounts for my experience. Was I frustrated at times? Yeah. I wish the school had more money, as summer funding will be tough to come by. I feel the school is extremely honest with students, however. DB actually told me I did not need to go through with my June retake at the time he admitted me.

I remember a similar incident my freshman year of undergrad. Someone was expelled (not sure if it was before or after) and made a video about all the 'problems' with the school. They apparently got a parking ticket for stopping at a stop sign, etc, etc. But I loved it... and most people loved it. Sometimes people just have crappy experiences.

It's true. I'm not claiming OP made things up, though his/her experiences were clearly far different from mine. Waiting for our loan refunds kind of sucked, but I know it wasn't the school's fault, and DB felt horrible about it. I should note that my personal wait was about a week.

I'm involved in the civic life of the school (I lead tours, etc, unpaid) so I take pride in my school, despite its inevitable faults.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”