Mich vs Vandy $$ vs UF $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan vs Vandy $$ vs UF $$$

Go wolverines!
48%
Vandy - middle of the road approach is best (ish prestige + ish $)
44%
UF - screw honor; take the money and run
8%

Total votes: 124

beesknees

Mich vs Vandy $$ vs UF $$$

Postby beesknees » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GATORTIM

Re: Mich vs Vandy $$ vs UF $$$

Postby GATORTIM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:39 pm

beesknees wrote:1) I'm not an unreasonably huge prestige whore
2) From the south (FL) and would like the option of practicing in the south after graduation
7) Its 40 degrees where I am now (albeit, without a heater), and the thought of Michigan winters has me peeing in my pants.

Although this was by no means fun...I'd take the $$$/free school and go to UF

mchrop10

Postby mchrop10 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:41 pm

Here's my 2 cents...

Go to Michigan. Now not that I'm biased or anything, but you will get a phenomenal education at UM and the winters really are not that bad. From what I've heard students have loved their experiences here. Moreover, Ann Arbor is a great place to be for 3 years.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 pm

I can tell you right now that Bob Loblaw is NOT a Michigan grad.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:48 pm

OGR3 wrote:I can tell you right now that Bob Loblaw is NOT a Michigan grad.

HA!

parker09

Postby parker09 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:48 pm

beesknees wrote:Here's my fun hypothetical (acceptances are in, but $ is TBD).
Let's say $$ = about half tuition; and $$$ = free law school.

Anyone want to hit me with some TLS wisedom, considering the following:

1) I'm not an unreasonably huge prestige whore
2) From the south (FL) and would like the option of practicing in the south after graduation
3) Have some UG debt, so I know how crappy it is to pay student loans every month (debt aversion)
4) I love Mich. It has a vibe I love and all my interactions with their admissions office have been stellar
5) I am a big advocate of consumer power. My only conversation with a Vandy admission office person was not pleasant. I know I am one of 1000s of LS applicants, but at the end of the day, they are still selling a product (an insanely expensive one, too), so I don't like the attitude.
6) UF = nexis of evil (undergrad rivalries die hard)
7) Its 40 degrees where I am now (albeit, without a heater), and the thought of Michigan winters has me peeing in my pants.

I might end up with this same choice (well, minus the UF part) of mich sticker vs. vandy half-monies, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. Not to hijack your thread :)... Just hitching on for the ride!

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:50 pm

3) Have some UG debt, so I know how crappy it is to pay student loans every month (debt aversion)
4) I love Mich. It has a vibe I love and all my interactions with their admissions office have been stellar
5) I am a big advocate of consumer power. My only conversation with a Vandy admission office person was not pleasant. I know I am one of 1000s of LS applicants, but at the end of the day, they are still selling a product (an insanely expensive one, too), so I don't like the attitude.

Off of all of the useful information you provided, I would say Vanderbilt.

I reason this because:
1) You aren't a huge prestige person (which leads to more rational decisions)
2) You want to practice in the south (and thus, the weather)
3) You have pre-existing debt (so I assume you want to work at a larger law firm due to the pre-existing college debt)
4) You won't have to deal with an admissions office on a daily basis (or ever again after you start school)

However to play devils advocate - UF because:
1) You have pre-existing debt
2) You aren't adding to that debt (I assume it's relatively low, considering FSU doesn't charge too much - I assume that's the school you refer to)
3) You would like the weather there more than in TN
4) You would go for free

So... Vanderbilt seems like a decent choice - but your pre-existing debt plus the additional ~$150,000 to go to Vanderbilt over three years after scholarship [half tuition only cuts COA by about $20,000] - their COA is almost $70,000.

The only issue here (I'm spotting issues -1L joke), is whether Vanderbilt is worth that much more to you than UF.

I.e. Vanderbilt costing $150,000 and UF costing $60,000 (assuming $20,000 a year living expenses).

So.....is it worth the additional $90,000?

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Since you want to practice in the South, I'd say to take Vanderbilt if it ends up being substantially cheaper than Michigan.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

If you were sure you wanted to practice in FL, then I'd say UF for sure, but since you don't, Vanderbilt.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:08 pm

If you have the numbers to get in, you should go T14, IMO.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:14 pm

beesknees wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Off of all of the useful information you provided, I would say Vanderbilt.

I reason this because:
1) You aren't a huge prestige person (which leads to more rational decisions)
2) You want to practice in the south (and thus, the weather)
3) You have pre-existing debt (so I assume you want to work at a larger law firm due to the pre-existing college debt)
4) You won't have to deal with an admissions office on a daily basis (or ever again after you start school)

However to play devils advocate - UF because:
1) You have pre-existing debt
2) You aren't adding to that debt (I assume it's relatively low, considering FSU doesn't charge too much - I assume that's the school you refer to)
3) You would like the weather there more than in TN
4) You would go for free

So... Vanderbilt seems like a decent choice - but your pre-existing debt plus the additional ~$150,000 to go to Vanderbilt over three years after scholarship [half tuition only cuts COA by about $20,000] - their COA is almost $70,000.

The only issue here (I'm spotting issues -1L joke), is whether Vanderbilt is worth that much more to you than UF.

I.e. Vanderbilt costing $150,000 and UF costing $60,000 (assuming $20,000 a year living expenses).

So.....is it worth the additional $90,000?

Oh god, I most definitely did not go to FSU. I'm almost insulted 8)

haha. A thousand apologies.

I'm not familiar with rivalries in FL - so when you said UF was a rival....(I just assumed).

interestedbyestander

Postby interestedbyestander » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Halibut6 wrote:If you have the numbers to get in, you should go T14, IMO.

It's this kind of typical 0L closed-mind thinking that has many recent T14 grads wishing they had chosen differently.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm

interestedbyestander wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:If you have the numbers to get in, you should go T14, IMO.

It's this kind of typical 0L closed-mind thinking that has many recent T14 grads wishing they had chosen differently.

To each his own.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:26 pm

If "the South" = southern US and not solely Florida, Vandy is a pretty clear cut winner here. Reactions to your school of choice will run along the lines of "WTF is a Michigan?" in the south, and marketability for Vanderbilt's great from Kentucky down. SEC fans think of Vandy as "that school that sucks at football because they only take smart kids." While that's not necessarily going to be your employer's exact outlook, I'd wager it'll be close. I've lived in Florida and Tennessee for my 22 years and never knew Michigan was anything more than a large state school until I started doing extensive college research (Begin "u r a stuped suthrner" trolling here). If you want to be in Florida specificially, I'd personally go with UF after trying to leverage Vandy for more money.

edit: should have said UF and not Florida due to ambiguity. kthxbai
Last edited by stratocophic on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 pm

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:38 pm

I said Vandy because you want to live in the south. If you stay in the south, Vandy will give you prestige. (I'm from GA and someone I was talking to about applying to law school with someone I know and they gave me a look like I was the dumbest guy alive when I told them I was going to UChicago over Vandy) I still think Vandy is a really good place to be if you want to stay in the south. I would also like to know if you applied to Duke and Virginia. Because if you think you will get substantial money at Vandy you may get some at Duke and Virginia maybe like Michigan for you (ranking/legal prestige) but it would be closer to the south with weather you would prefer and again it would set you up well to work in the south.

Edit: I didn't know you meant Florida when you said south, that would change some of what I said, I still vote Vandy though.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:46 pm

vanderbilt. you'll be miserable at UF.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:48 pm

ITE, Mich w/o at least 2/3 scholly at Vandy.

UF shouldn't even be in the equation.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:52 pm

jerjon2 wrote:if you think you will get substantial money at Vandy you may get some at Duke and Virginia maybe like Michigan for you (ranking/legal prestige) but it would be closer to the south with weather you would prefer and again it would set you up well to work in the south

TITCR. Duke is largely synonymous with law in the south. Virginia should have a similar reputation among employers (as they will theoretically be more well-informed) but [strike]has[/strike] may have the same problem as Michigan, albeit to a lesser extent. Duke will be more likely to turn heads and possibly get you a job. If it's T10 you're wanting and not Michigan specifically, this may be the best bet. I still don't know that sticker at Duke >>> 1/2 $ at Vandy in the long run, however.

Edited to reflect 0L speculation.
Last edited by stratocophic on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Michigan. You seem to really love the school and I'm afraid you would regret the decision not to go. You said that you would like the option of practicing the South, and Michigan would give you that option, along with any other location ranging from California to New York City. Vandy seemed like the better choice at first, but after thinking about it for a while, I would go to Mich if I were you. At least go to Preview Weekend and if your decision isn't concrete by then, then consider somewhere else.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:04 pm

IIRC, UF doesn't really give out full $$$ (or if they do, it is very limited). So this may not be as much of an issue.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:04 pm

galahad85 wrote:Since you want to practice in the South, I'd say to take Vanderbilt if it ends up being substantially cheaper than Michigan.

+1

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:07 pm

toolshed wrote:IIRC, UF doesn't really give out full $$$ (or if they do, it is very limited). So this may not be as much of an issue.

TITCR.

Although his numbers might merit one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”