Fordham v USD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose given the circumstances?

Fordham P/T (sticker)
50%
USD F/T (scholarship unknown but likely)
50%

Total votes: 10

OrcinusOrcas

Fordham v USD

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi TLS'ers.

So, assuming UC Hastings (first choice) rejects me in March after being on the Early Decision waitlist, I'll have two schools I've been accepted to that I'm seriously considering. Here are the circumstances:

USD F/T---pros and cons
PROS:
-Based on LSN I'll probably get 50% or greater scholarship for at least the first year.
-San Diego is my home town, massive support network of parents, family, best friends, etc.
-I want to eventually get a job and practice in San Diego, although working for a few years in New York is equally enticing.
-San Diego is an AWESOME place; surfing, great weather, lots to do.
-Already have some networking in local legal community in terms of finding a job
-I like some of their specialty programs, not especially attracted to Tax Law or anything.
-I prefer full time, day classes; would not need to find a job while in school.
-Husband can continue to work on engineering degree at night in community college schools (uber-cheap in CA compared to NY).

CONS:
-Tier 2 school...not as much opportunity as a T1??
-Need to move, husband (mechanic) would have to find a new job in SD.
-Conservative slant...the Center for Constitutional Originalism is painful just to think about (from what I hear, also, as a San Diego native I can attest to SD's generally conservative vibe)

FORDHAM P/T

PROS:
-In my FAVORITE CITY in the world!! Fell in love with NYC during visits to extended family.
-Some relatives/safety net...grandparents, aunts, cousins nearby.
-Will get to know family members I don't visit that often.
-Fordham is 30 spots higher on USN&W, has better stats in general, T1 rank, etc.
-Can work P/T in school and take out less loans
-I'm ok with staying P/T all four years OR transferring to full time in 2L. Either way sounds good, but I prefer full time.
-A whole new experience living in a city I've always DREAMED of living in...different seasons will be nice (I love snow and cold weather, as well as hot) and lots to explore.

CONS:
-BOTH my husband and I have to find new jobs in a shit economy (again, he would look for mechanic work, he does have a solid 4 years of experience and good certification, great references, etc).
-Moving even father away from close family and friends that we miss (have been away from home for 4 years, homesick, moving home is a huge psychological plus for USD and a big CON for Fordham).
-Community college is insanely expensive compared to CA...husband may have to put his career plans on hold for a few more years. Not sure if he's as in to the idea of NY as I am.

So...considering the circumstances, where would you go???

Bankhead

Re: Fordham v USD

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:59 pm

San Diego, but neither if you don't get the scholarship.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm just going to say that if you pulled off Fordham P/T, you should be hearing from Hastings soon with good news.

But just for yuks, I'd go with USD. I think you'll have a better shot at employment coming from there than you would Fordham, considering your network. Plus, don't overestimate the difference between T-1 and T-2. Outside the top 14-18 schools, I'm not as convinced as some that it makes that big of a difference. ITE.... etc.

OrcinusOrcas

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I'm just going to say that if you pulled off Fordham P/T, you should be hearing from Hastings soon with good news.

Thanks!! This opinion sure did bring a smile to my face, I hope you're right!! :D

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

OrcinusOrcas wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:I'm just going to say that if you pulled off Fordham P/T, you should be hearing from Hastings soon with good news.

Thanks!! This opinion sure did bring a smile to my face, I hope you're right!! :D

This, especially if you had a good GPA. We have a few cross admits, and Hastings was my second choice behind Fordham, so I looked into this with care. You may be WL/IN, which would have been my likely fate if I had not withdrawn from the WL. You will need to pick a coast, however. We have alumni in CA, but most of them are along the eastern seaboard.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”