Best/Worst Law Fair Reps of 2009? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chadwick218

Silver

Re: Best/Worst Law Fair Reps of 2009?

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 am

FeuerFrei wrote:Slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the kids that show up in three piece suits with resumes and notepads acting like theyre gonna impress the rep so much that he's gonna run back to the school and say "I met the most prepared student at the fair, we better let him in" :roll:
I ran across a couple of these ... they would just drill the reps with questions. I sorta followed a couple just to hear what crazy things they would say.

Tree

New

Post by Tree » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:30 am

Best: Umich, U San Diego, Loyola LA, Chicago-Kent

Worst: Emory, Pepperdine, U Detroit Mercy

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:Slightly off topic, but does anyone else hate the kids that show up in three piece suits with resumes and notepads acting like theyre gonna impress the rep so much that he's gonna run back to the school and say "I met the most prepared student at the fair, we better let him in" :roll:
I ran across a couple of these ... they would just drill the reps with questions. I sorta followed a couple just to hear what crazy things they would say.
Ha, no one on the west coast came even close to that! People out here barely knew anything, asked simple questions to which the answers can be found on the school websites, and mostly dressed in their surfer attire/pajamas!

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:23 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
jrobby6 wrote:anyone every attend a law fair and notice the law reps on their cell phones? unprofessional?
Florida dude looked borderline upset that I interrupted his texting. All but threw a brochure at me.
same thing happened to me! left his post for 20-30 minutes, and came back snacking on candy. when i asked questions, all he did was give me a brochure.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:29 pm

lawschool5523 wrote:same thing happened to me! left his post for 20-30 minutes, and came back snacking on candy. when i asked questions, all he did was give me a brochure.
I had the same experience with the Vandy guy. Granted, the Fair was on 2-14 and the admissions deadline may have been on either 2-15 or 3-1 and I was asking questions regarding the current cycle. He gave me the impression that I stood no chance of being admitted ... guess what, I got in after applying on 2-15!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:53 pm

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:01 pm

rookhawk wrote:
I was that kid 15 years ago and I would absolutely give him/her a bump up the list of potential candidates. You wear a che guevarra t-shirt and some old sneakers and you kinda get what is coming to you at any type of interview...law school forums no exception.

Here's the dirty little secret most of you will dismiss (if any take it to heart, perhaps it will gain you mileage): If you're not an aristocrat and you show up at any old school pedigree'd university interview/conversation (e.g. Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn, Vandy, Chicago) they are going to ask themselves this question. What justification does this trailer trash have to defy the class they were born into and enter our hallowed halls? I was born just such trailer trash so you better believe I was well groomed in a three piece suit when I met with anyone that could propel my life forward from age 17 on. If you want to get into these schools you better appear like you're ready to learn the secret handshake. People judge you on your appearance.
agree completely

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 pm

twert wrote:
rookhawk wrote:
I was that kid 15 years ago and I would absolutely give him/her a bump up the list of potential candidates. You wear a che guevarra t-shirt and some old sneakers and you kinda get what is coming to you at any type of interview...law school forums no exception.

Here's the dirty little secret most of you will dismiss (if any take it to heart, perhaps it will gain you mileage): If you're not an aristocrat and you show up at any old school pedigree'd university interview/conversation (e.g. Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn, Vandy, Chicago) they are going to ask themselves this question. What justification does this trailer trash have to defy the class they were born into and enter our hallowed halls? I was born just such trailer trash so you better believe I was well groomed in a three piece suit when I met with anyone that could propel my life forward from age 17 on. If you want to get into these schools you better appear like you're ready to learn the secret handshake. People judge you on your appearance.
agree completely
agreed as well. i went to a forum with 2 other people. i was dressed up and well presented, and each school i went to accepted my resume from me, and often talk to me about it. the other 2 people i was with brought resumes but were not well presented. the ad comm told them to keep their resumes...

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Thank goodness that, in reality, there are some wardrobe choices somewhere between "3-piece suit" and "Che Guevara t-shirt". :roll:

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:34 pm

lawschool5523 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
jrobby6 wrote:anyone every attend a law fair and notice the law reps on their cell phones? unprofessional?
Florida dude looked borderline upset that I interrupted his texting. All but threw a brochure at me.
same thing happened to me! left his post for 20-30 minutes, and came back snacking on candy. when i asked questions, all he did was give me a brochure.
I also walked up and he happened to be texting. He blew me off with a brochure, and the only productive thing I saw him do all day was to try and grab the crowd's attention as he walked up to the LSU table with a big "Go Gators" sign (LSU vs. Florida that day).

AliceB

New

Post by AliceB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 pm

twert wrote:
rookhawk wrote:

agree completely
Then how do you explain my experience? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I look professional and get judged negatively because of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

For those still in the process of applying, I went to the Houston Fair this weekend last year and scored 10+ fee waivers!

2010law

New

Post by 2010law » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:27 pm

NY forum

best - W&M and U. Tenn (knoxville)
worst - fla, nc
--------
FYI- I had a conversation with a rep at the fair that went like this:
a 3 piece suit / resume guy left the table and a guy standing nearby made a comment. the rep said that if you dress casual it won't hurt you, but if you dress nice / professional it might help you. he explained that it is not uncommon for reps to make little notations about some of the people they meet and if they like you, it might leave them with a positive impression = fee waivers, follow up emails ...
I'm not saying it's true.... just what the rep said.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:33 pm

miami lsac

Best:

Iowa - super transparent and nice
Minnesota

Worst

Uva - dean trujilo blew off my questions
Usc
Gw

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Houston LSAC

Above median:

Pittsburgh*, Illinois*, Indiana,* Villanova* (* high pass- particularly awesome, patient, and helpful)
Penn, North Carolina
Last edited by FunkyJD on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Bad idea.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 pm

What's a bad idea?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:20 pm

This whole thread.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 am

Unemployed wrote:This whole thread.
Would you care to elaborate? Or shall we be left to wonder?

This thread can provide helpful feedback to schools who may need to improve the quality of their interactions with students -- or, to schools who should "keep it up." If I were a goal-driven recruiter, I might like to know how my efforts were coming across.

If you're worried about adcomms hating your comments, and outing, and rejecting you as a consequence, I guess one can always find reasons to be paranoid. You may as well scrub all of your posts from TLS -- for who knows what will anger the person behind the curtain?

Terrible way to go through life, though -- always worrying about what someone thinks whenever you have something perfectly reasonable to say. Is that how you roll?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlife2010

New

Post by lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Best: UVA and RIchmond.
Worst: U.Conn and Quinnipiac by far. Maybe it's a CT thing, but the lady at U.COnn acted like it was such a hassle to help us, told us she could not leave her office and to just look around. When we came back to ask a question she had left the office.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I went to the Austin fair.

Best: St. Louis U, Baylor, Illinois, Drexel, American

Some of the bigger name school reps seemed put off to be there. The smaller school reps were happy talk your ear off.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Havaianas wrote:UVA grad school fair
Worst - Stanford (person wasn't there when I stopped by and I was there on my lunch hour so I was in a hurry), Tulane
Best - UT (very friendly enthusiastic girl who was also really pretty fwiw)
Yessss I totally agree on the ut comment-the girl was gorgeous and definitely convinced me to apply there.

Besides that, best=oklahoma, maryland
worst=smu, GW

went to the mink law fair btw

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

New

Post by LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm

ec2xs wrote:I attended the University of Texas and the University of Texas San Antonio law fairs.

Best: University of Richmond, SMU, Tulsa.

All of them were outstanding and kept up personal dialogues with me via email. The representative from Richmond even called me personally to admit me very, very early in the process. All of these schools' reps also remembered me by name and flagged me down when I saw them at the second law fair a few days later.

I'll also say that Baylor, Maryland, Houston, North Carolina and Arizona State were kind and patient.
Went to the same law fair. I agree with your takes and I would add that Colorado was awesome and Golden Gate and Regent were great as well.

Doooosh award goes to Notre Dame and Florida.
Guy from Florida actually said (in a ganster voice),
"Florida only wants the best son, only the best. It's Florida..."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”