What Classs Rank to Be Successful??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pleasebehappy

What Classs Rank to Be Successful??

Postby pleasebehappy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 am

So, everyone says (and I believe it to be true) that employers are willing to take lower ranked students from better schools. If you go to a T3 or T4 school, you better be at the very top of your class, but you have more leeway at higher schools. For the top 20 schools, at what rank is "safe" for Big Law (maybe even in a secondary market) and what is "safe" for a decent private sector or public job (not Big Law)? How do different ranking systems play into this?

At Harvard can 100% of the class really get Big Law if they want it? At WUSTL can only the top 10% get it? I have no idea, but I'd really be interested in your opinions on HYS vs. CCN vs. MVPB vs. the other T14 vs. the other T20. Are there any real differentiations within each of these subranking categories (other than regional differences in hiring patterns)? As I weigh $$$ vs. prestige, I think looking at the competitiveness at these schools for jobs will be a big factor. Thanks for your insight.

rayiner

Re: What Classs Rank to Be Successful??

Postby rayiner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 am

pleasebehappy wrote:So, everyone says (and I believe it to be true) that employers are willing to take lower ranked students from better schools. If you go to a T3 or T4 school, you better be at the very top of your class, but you have more leeway at higher schools. For the top 20 schools, at what rank is "safe" for Big Law (maybe even in a secondary market) and what is "safe" for a decent private sector or public job (not Big Law)? How do different ranking systems play into this?

At Harvard can 100% of the class really get Big Law if they want it? At WUSTL can only the top 10% get it? I have no idea, but I'd really be interested in your opinions on HYS vs. CCN vs. MVPB vs. the other T14 vs. the other T20. Are there any real differentiations within each of these subranking categories (other than regional differences in hiring patterns)? As I weigh $$$ vs. prestige, I think looking at the competitiveness at these schools for jobs will be a big factor. Thanks for your insight.

Nobody is "safe" for biglaw anymore. People top 10% at T14s have been striking out.

There are, however, necessary but not sufficient class ranks. I don't know about YHS, but initial reports seem to suggest top 2/3 at CC, and top 1/2 at MVPBDN.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:15 pm

There really are no hard cutoffs.

There were sub-median Georgetown people who got biglaw offers this year, and top 10% Georgetown people who were shutout. But generally, the higher your rank, the safer you will be. I also disagree that biglaw is necessary to be successful. Any graduate (even the very last one) still has the potential for success.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm

usually 9.53% at at a top 21, or top 21.3456% at a T 16.5 will do the trick. Other than that, top H.P/H at Y/S does pretty well.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”