T14 for West Coast (LA)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 am

boilercat wrote:Crackberry, if it makes you feel better, I would take SLS over any school but Berk and maybe Yale. But I'm not even applying to Yale. So over any school but Berk. And that's only because I have a particular love for Berkeley. :mrgreen:

Haha thanks boiler. I feel warm and fuzzy inside.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby kurama20 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:30 am

crackberry wrote:
boilercat wrote:Crackberry, if it makes you feel better, I would take SLS over any school but Berk and maybe Yale. But I'm not even applying to Yale. So over any school but Berk. And that's only because I have a particular love for Berkeley. :mrgreen:

Haha thanks boiler. I feel warm and fuzzy inside.



LOL and for the record the only schools I would pick over Stanford are H and Y (or CLS with the Hamilton).

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 am

Lol, how did I miss the JSUVA2012 vs Kurama20 battle?

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby Oban » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 am

As someone whos worked in LA biglaw firms, and knows a few LA biglaw lawyers, i'm going have to lol at any suggestion that east coat t14s out place USC/UCLA. In my experience it goes:

Yale/Harvard
Stanford/Berkly
UCLA/USC
Rest of t14 based on local connections.

Fuck there are more Loyola grads in LA biglaw then cornell.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7124
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:42 am

Oban wrote:Fuck there are more Loyola grads in LA biglaw then cornell.


Self-Selection.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby Oban » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:00 am

the reality is, out side of HYS, the t14 is mostly regional. Most kids from chicago/NU work in chicago, UVA in DC, and so on and so forth. People who venture outside their schools sphere of influence either have top grades or connections to that region. Thus i posit if you don't have connections to LA , but want to work there and can't guarantee top grades, go to USC/UCLA. If you want the bay area, go to Berkly or stanford.

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

kurama20 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
boilercat wrote:Crackberry, if it makes you feel better, I would take SLS over any school but Berk and maybe Yale. But I'm not even applying to Yale. So over any school but Berk. And that's only because I have a particular love for Berkeley. :mrgreen:

Haha thanks boiler. I feel warm and fuzzy inside.



LOL and for the record the only schools I would pick over Stanford are H and Y (or CLS with the Hamilton).


same here, except if I was absolutely set on living in california for the rest of my life, I would definitely choose Stanford. People who aren't familiar with California don't really know how much praise it gets there. It's the Harvard of the west.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:08 am

studylaw7 wrote:same here, except if I was absolutely set on living in california for the rest of my life, I would definitely choose Stanford. People who aren't familiar with California don't really know how much praise it gets there. It's the Harvard of the west.

Or, as we like to say, Harvard is the Stanford of the East.

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 am

crackberry wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:same here, except if I was absolutely set on living in california for the rest of my life, I would definitely choose Stanford. People who aren't familiar with California don't really know how much praise it gets there. It's the Harvard of the west.

Or, as we like to say, Harvard is the Stanford of the East.


touche

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 am

Both have colors as their mascots. Lame sauce. Crimson sounds cooler than cardinal, though.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Both have colors as their mascots. Lame sauce. Crimson sounds cooler than cardinal, though.

At least we're actually good at sports.

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 am

Oban wrote:As someone whos worked in LA biglaw firms, and knows a few LA biglaw lawyers, i'm going have to lol at any suggestion that east coat t14s out place USC/UCLA. In my experience it goes:

Yale/Harvard
Stanford/Berkly
UCLA/USC
Rest of t14 based on local connections.

Fuck there are more Loyola grads in LA biglaw then cornell.


It may just be your firm, but I think Stanford should definitely be, at the very least, on that first line there..........

Just curious, did you go to Berkeley?

jimmyd11011
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby jimmyd11011 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:32 am

studylaw7 wrote:
Oban wrote:As someone whos worked in LA biglaw firms, and knows a few LA biglaw lawyers, i'm going have to lol at any suggestion that east coat t14s out place USC/UCLA. In my experience it goes:

Yale/Harvard
Stanford/Berkly
UCLA/USC
Rest of t14 based on local connections.

Fuck there are more Loyola grads in LA biglaw then cornell.


It may just be your firm, but I think Stanford should definitely be, at the very least, on that first line there..........

Just curious, did you go to Berkeley?


You think he went to Berkeley without knowing how "Berkeley" is spelled?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 am

jimmyd11011 wrote:You think he went to Berkeley without knowing how "Berkeley" is spelled?

Haha, credited.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:39 am

It's almost okay if you miss one of the "e"'s, but not both. Good stuff, there.

And crack, please tell me more about Cal's miserable sports. Like how our wins over you in both basketball and football were just flukes. Or how you have had the axe once in the past how many years =)?

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 am

jimmyd11011 wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:
Oban wrote:As someone whos worked in LA biglaw firms, and knows a few LA biglaw lawyers, i'm going have to lol at any suggestion that east coat t14s out place USC/UCLA. In my experience it goes:

Yale/Harvard
Stanford/Berkly
UCLA/USC
Rest of t14 based on local connections.

Fuck there are more Loyola grads in LA biglaw then cornell.


It may just be your firm, but I think Stanford should definitely be, at the very least, on that first line there..........

Just curious, did you go to Berkeley?




You think he went to Berkeley without knowing how "Berkeley" is spelled?



I think he certainly knew how to spell it, he was just using shorthand. I would like to think he is smarter than that.....

I'm asking because I don't know anyone who would place Berkeley on the same level as Stanford unless this person is from Berkeley.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:And crack, please tell me more about Cal's miserable sports. Like how our wins over you in both basketball and football were just flukes. Or how you have had the axe once in the past how many years =)?

Yes we suck at basketball this year, but we've been better at bball than Cal in the past decade as a whole. And yes, we suck in Big Game recently, I admit. But we were better than Cal this year.

Also:

Total NCAA championships (all sports, through Spring 2009):

Stanford - 97
Cal - 66

Total NCAA Director's Cups (best overall athletic program):

Stanford - 15
Cal - 0

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 am

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm embarrassed that Cal has only amassed a paltry 66 NCAA championships :roll:

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Yeah, I have to admit that I'm embarrassed that Cal has only amassed a paltry 66 NCAA championships :roll:

My point was not that Cal is bad at sports, only that Stanford is better.

Cal is a Top 5 sports school. Too bad Stanford is Top 2 (and the best by some metrics).

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 am

crackberry wrote:At least we're actually good at sports.


crackberry wrote:My point was not that Cal is bad at sports, only that Stanford is better.

Cal is a Top 5 sports school. Too bad Stanford is Top 2 (and the best by some metrics).


If your definition of "good" means better than 5th in the nation, then you win this round. But then you imply that NYU, Berkeley, Chicago, etc. are not good schools =)

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 am

Haha what's funny is my "at least we're actually good at sports" comment was directed at this:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Both have colors as their mascots. Lame sauce. Crimson sounds cooler than cardinal, though.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with Cal.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:05 am

Hahaha my bad, totally misinterpreted that as a Cal attack. Got caught up in the moment =)

Yes, you clearly dominate the big H at sports.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Hahaha my bad, totally misinterpreted that as a Cal attack. Got caught up in the moment =)

Yes, you clearly dominate the big H at sports.

No problem. I'll take any excuse I can get to talk up Stanford sports.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 am

Haha gotcha. Nice back and forth we had there, though.

Anyway I'm heading to bed -- maybe this thread will get back on topic tomorrow (although I sincerely doubt it). Nite crack.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: T14 for West Coast (LA)

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:19 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Haha gotcha. Nice back and forth we had there, though.

Anyway I'm heading to bed -- maybe this thread will get back on topic tomorrow (although I sincerely doubt it). Nite crack.

Haha, later man. I hope to call it a night soon as well. Anyway, in a vain attempt to direct this thread back to its original intent, I offer my thoughts on LA BigLaw placement:

HYS
Boalt
UCLA/USC
Michigan
(Irrelevant)

Blatant Michigan trolling? Maybe, but I know UM grads do very well in California.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Specter1389 and 2 guests