NYC Ambitions - Help Me Choose!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hope to Practice in NYC. Been accepted to most of these. Where should I go?

Washington University in St. Louis (cant believe i got in)
51%
George Mason University
1%
University at Buffalo (1/2 tuition covered no strings)
2%
Hofstra University (1/3 tuition covered)
4%
Loyola Chicago
No votes
Albany Law School (full scholarship)
8%
St. John's University
2%
Brooklyn /Cardozo
32%
New York Law School
No votes

Total votes: 95

carlkenneth

NYC Ambitions - Help Me Choose!

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm having a surprisingly good cycle. Now I need help choosing a school. I live in NYC now - hope to practice here in the next five years. Up to this point my top choices were Brooklyn or Cardozo (still havent heard from either) because I didn't think I had a shot at the higher ranked schools that I applied for. I don't mind living elsewhere, but I don't wanna be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Any advice?

TTH

Re: NYC Ambitions - Help Me Choose!

Postby TTH » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Don't go to BLS or 'Dozo.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 pm

What are your ambitions? Biglaw? Public interest? Prosecutor? Corporate law?

Terp22

Postby Terp22 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm in a similar situation. There is really nothing we can do until we hear about admission/money from Cardozo and BLS.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 pm

you might need to go to the highest-ranked school possible outside of NYC, work for a few years in the area, and then try to get a job in NYC. the competition for jobs there is so fierce that going to cardozo or brooklyn is not a great idea unless you can be in the top 5-10% of the class.

if you're going into public interest, you might try the CUNY law school in queens, which has a reputation throughout the city for public interest. but you're probably not going into public interest.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Looking at your choices again, definitely go to WUSTL. It may not get you to NYC necessarily, but you'll have the best career outcomes coming out of there. If your hellbent on attending a school in the NYC area and these are your options, send an app to Rutgers-Newark. It does as well as BLS or Dozo, but it's much much cheaper. You get in-state in Jersey by signing a lease for an apartment. Of course, that means you then must live in Jersey. Tough call.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks - this is very helpful. I'm looking to go into public interest, but I want to keep my options open in case I decide during law school or down the line to go into corporate law or even big law. I've considered applying to CUNY but I know that my options would be limited to public interest if I went there.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 pm

WUSTL would give you the most options out of all of the choices you presented.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:42 pm

FunkyJD wrote:WUSTL would give you the most options out of all of the choices you presented.

+1 ... if you are dead set on only wanting to practice in NYC, then BLS or 'Dozo might be better options, but WUSTL is going to give you much better options overall. Any scholarship consideration?

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:59 pm

carlkenneth wrote:I'm having a surprisingly good cycle. Now I need help choosing a school. I live in NYC now - hope to practice here in the next five years. Up to this point my top choices were Brooklyn or Cardozo (still havent heard from either) because I didn't think I had a shot at the higher ranked schools that I applied for. I don't mind living elsewhere, but I don't wanna be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Any advice?

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm

No way WUSL is winning this! How many of its grads could possible go ITE to one of the most competitive legal markets from a regional school on the other side of the country?

Outside national schools, your prospects will be predominantly regional. If you can't do a national school, I say go to the best regional school that offers the right balance of prospects and $$.

Yimbeezy

Postby Yimbeezy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:41 pm

UB places reasonably well in NYC, is located in a city (clinic opportunities in public interest?), and would be pretty cheap given the scholly. As much as I hate Buffalo, I think you should seriously consider UB for LS.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Yimbeezy wrote:UB places reasonably well in NYC, is located in a city (clinic opportunities in public interest?), and would be pretty cheap given the scholly. As much as I hate Buffalo, I think you should seriously consider UB for LS.

Im from buffalo and the people that I know that go there are (1.) miserable - ub's campus is abysmal and has an uber frat atmosphere,even in the law school and (2.) terrified about employment prospects. NYC during a decent economy was a long shot. No way does UB place reasonably well in nyc. Not with all those schools ahead of it on the pecking order , and the only regions you are directly plugged in to (Western New York, Rochester and Syracuse) all have decaying economies.

But UB is super cheap- prob not worth it imho.

Could be wrong tho.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 pm

beesknees wrote:No way WUSL is winning this! How many of its grads could possible go ITE to one of the most competitive legal markets from a regional school on the other side of the country?

Outside national schools, your prospects will be predominantly regional. If you can't do a national school, I say go to the best regional school that offers the right balance of prospects and $$.

The best hope of a NYC biglaw gig from this list (in this economy) would go WUSTL->Chicago biglaw-> lateral to NYC. BLS and Carbozo are huge gambles; if NYC doesn't work out from those schools, you're boned. WUSTL would make it harder to come immediately back to NYC, but is a safer bet.

Also, what the above poster said about UB is true. Don't go there.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Renzo wrote:
beesknees wrote:No way WUSL is winning this! How many of its grads could possible go ITE to one of the most competitive legal markets from a regional school on the other side of the country?

The best hope of a NYC biglaw gig from this list (in this economy) would go WUSTL->Chicago biglaw-> lateral to NYC. BLS and Carbozo are huge gambles; if NYC doesn't work out from those schools, you're boned. WUSTL would make it harder to come immediately back to NYC, but is a safer bet.

Also, what the above poster said about UB is true. Don't go there.

Nevermind- he should go there. I take back what i said.

UB has a "New York City Program in Finance and Law"

Students live and study in New York for twelve weeks, and receive a full semester’s academic credit toward their degrees.

The University at Buffalo is pleased to announce Early Placement in the New York City Program in Finance and Law in New York City. Space is limited for this one of a kind opportunity to learn and live in New York City!

http://www.law.buffalo.edu/UBinNYC/index.asp

Clearly this program --->meaningful employment in the thriving financial sector of nyc

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Apply for Rutgers. It placed better in Big Law than Dozo&brooklyn before the crisis. It`s way cheaper too.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:21 pm

cardozo will possibly give you a scholarship if you got into WUSL.

did you apply to fordham? check your chances at fordham too.

if you are dead-set on nyc, i think you should talk to students/alumni at both cardozo (if that's your best nyc option) and at wusl to see what they have to say. admissions offices should be able to arrange this for you. i really think it's better to go directly to the sources and ask students/alumni who made a similar decision for actual insight on this decision, bc here on tls rankings tend to prevail above all else. and people (outside admissions offices) will be frank with you knowing what they know now.

imho, if you get a large scholarship at cardozo and in fact want nyc or bust, i think that is > for you than wusl (and at sticker.)
Last edited by deadatheist on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:26 pm

If you want NYC, then Cardozo for sure. All the schools you listed are regional.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

in your situation. don't go to law school.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:WUSTL would give you the most options out of all of the choices you presented.

+1 ... if you are dead set on only wanting to practice in NYC, then BLS or 'Dozo might be better options, but WUSTL is going to give you much better options overall. Any scholarship consideration?

WUSTL hasn't released scholarship info yet, but I applied. Nothing from Brooklyn, and still haven't heard from Cardozo.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 pm

avacado111 wrote:in your situation. don't go to law school.

Why do you think I shouldn't go to law school? Or are you just being a jerk?

bees

Postby bees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 pm

carlkenneth wrote:

Because outside of WUSTL, your job prospects coming out of law school are going to be very bleak unless you place incredibly well in your class. WUSTL won't let you work in NYC, at least not right away, but it's a far better choice than any of the other schools you've listed.

canceled02062010

Postby canceled02062010 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 pm

carlkenneth wrote:

You should go if you are prepared for the reality of what you are about to do.

Do not go to WUSTL if you want to work in NY. Similarly, do not go to any of the other schools if you want to work in NY.

Do you see what you have left?

go to WUSTL and work in the area or don't go anywhere. HTH.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 am

You might actually try sending an application out to the University of Miami, because they have fairly decent placement in NYC, especially recently. This is owing to the fact that in recent years, the school has made significant outreach efforts to gain a "foothold" in New York, in order to secure employment from its graduates and thus boost its US News ranking. The market in Miami is simply not up to par, so they were forced to look elsewhere.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 am

go to wustl, make top 10%, transfer to nyu, $$$

Return to “Choosing a Law School”