What does section stacking mean?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Slimpee

What does section stacking mean?

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 am

So i've read references a few times to "section-stacking" where the schools place the high-scholly people in the same section to duke it out. Does that mean the grades in the classes are harder to come by so people their schollys?

Sauer Grapes

Re: What does section stacking mean?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 am

The idea is that you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep your scholarship in those situations. If schools put all of the scholarship recipients in one section then by default there will be grade distribution and many of those students will necessarily lose their scholarships as a result. It is like how there will be some under-performers in an MLB All-Star Game, except in the case of 'section stacking' people really have something to lose as the result of their 'under-performing'.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 am

Sounds lame. I'm going to have to investigate the schools to which i've received large offers and make sure they don't do that...

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:56 am

Slimpee wrote:Sounds lame. I'm going to have to investigate the schools to which i've received large offers and make sure they don't do that...

From what I hear, the better the school, the less likely they are to partake in this practice.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Any school that has a GPA or rank requirement does this (it doesn't matter how "low" the requirements are (aside from "being in good standing").

Some schools in which more than 50% of the class is on scholarship their first year, it is inevitable (so this really wouldn't count as section stacking unless they stack all of the individuals with larger scholarships - and this is hard to find out, trust me).

So I would be weary of dealing with schools that require gpa/rank requirements.

However, try to find out the curve for any school you are attending.

Why?

Most schools don't rank you after your first semester.

Why is that important?

You will look less intelligent coming from school X with 2 A's and 2 B's than from school Y with 2 B+'s and 2 C+'s - while you would be at the same rank, employers will not know this - thus your chances of getting a "desirable" summer job are slimmer than they already would have been.

The more you know.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Anyone care to throw out the names of schools they have heard are blatantly guilty of this?

wonderwall

Postby wonderwall » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:02 am

I've read that Brooklyn and Cardozo do this. Does anybody know if LSU or Alabama does this?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:29 am

Rand M. wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Sounds lame. I'm going to have to investigate the schools to which i've received large offers and make sure they don't do that...

From what I hear, the better the school, the less likely they are to partake in this practice.

the better the school, the less likely there will be gpa requirements for the schollys they give :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”