which law schools are the best for corporate law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lemonpie
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 am

which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby lemonpie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm interested in capital markets & banking law.
Which law schools among the T14+UCLA are the best and the worst in terms of variety of classes offered, profs, job prospects for getting a job at wall street law firm?
Thanks

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby jnorsky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:34 pm

I would say it would go:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
UPENN
Cornell (large NYC presence)

Rest of Top 10

Rest of Top 14

No one

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby holydonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Although they're in the T14, I don't think Cooley excels in corporate law.

lemonpie
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby lemonpie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Yale is #1 for banking law too?
it makes me want to spend $80 just so i can apply there and get rejected.. :roll:

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:28 pm

The highest ranked school you can get into is the best schol for corporate law.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:The highest ranked school you can get into is the best school for corporate law.


This is correct.

That being said, upon hearing you want to work for Wall Street firms, I think to the Simpsons:

*Lenin breaks through the glass of his Glass Coffin* "Must....destroy....capitalism!"

lemonpie
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby lemonpie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:59 pm

how about berkeley?

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 pm

G R Double-E N Leaves
G R Double-E N Leaves

It's so easy! Happy-go-lucky!
We are the world! We did it!
Hyuu! Hyuu! Hyuu! Hyuu! Osu! Osu! Osu! Osu! (Ai!)
Yatta! Yatta!
Daigaku gohgaku
Yatta! Yatta!
Shachoh shuunin
Happa ichimai areba ii. Ikite iru kara lucky da!

Yatta! Yatta!
Tohsen kakujitsu
Yatta! Yatta!
Nihon daihyoh
Yannaru kurai kenkoh da.
Everybody say yatta!

Nippon kyuukyuu (demo)
Ashita wa wonderful
Ijiwaru saretemo futon haireba
Guu guu guu guu! Pass pass pass pass (Ohayo--!)

Yatta! Yatta!
Kuujikan suimin
Yatta! Yatta!
Neoki de jump
Donna ii koto aru daroh ikite ita kara lucky da!

Yatta! Yatta!
Kimi ga kawareba
Yatta! Yatta!
Sekai mo kawaru
Marugoshi dakara saikoh da massugu tattara kimochi ii--!

O-mizu nondara umee! (Yatta!)
Hi ni atattara attakee! (Yatta!)
Koshi kara warattara omoshiree! (Yatta! Yatta!)
Inu-katte mitara kawaii! (Yatta!)

[Repeat]

Surechigai-zama hohoemi kureta
Nido to aenaku-tatte ii kimi ga ita kara lucky da!

Heisei fukyoh seiji fushin
Reset sae surya saikoh da! Minna iru kara tanoshii--!

Yatta! Yatta!
Daigaku kyohshitsu
Yatta! Yatta!
Movie star
Happa ichimai areba ii. Minna issho da happy da!

Yatta! Yatta!
Iki wo sueru
Yatta! Yatta!
Iki wo hakeru
Yannaru gurai kenkoh da! Everybody say yatta!

[Repeat *]
Bye-Q!

English


G R Double-E N Leaves
G R Double-E N Leaves
It's so easy! Happy-go-lucky!
We are the world! We did it!
Whoo! Whoo! Whoo! Whoo! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! (Unh!)

All right! All right!
We're doin' great in college!
All right! All right!
Made president at our jobs!
Long as we've one leaf on, we're doin' fine! Hey, we're lucky just 'cause we're alive!

All right! All right!
We've been confirmed for the prize!
All right! All right!
We're representing Japan!
We're so healthy, it just makes ya sick!
Everybody say "All right!"

Japan's got crises (but)
Tomorrow's wonderful
Even if somebody's mean to us, we just go to bed and
Snore! Snore! Snore! Snore! Pass! Pass! Pass! Pass! (Good morniiiiing!)

All right! All right!
We got nine hours of sleep!
All right! All right!
Woke up and jumped outta bed
What kinda great things might await us now? Hey, we're lucky just 'cause we're alive!

All right! All right!
If there's a change in you
All right! All right!
Then the whole world will change too.
Getting through it unhurt's the best of all. Just stand up straight because it feels greeeaat!!

I drink water that's tasty! (All right!)
I get in the sun and feel toasty! (All right!)
Havin' a belly laugh's fun! (All right! All right!)
Try keeping dogs--they're cute! (All right!)

[Repeat]

As we brushed past each other, you favored me with a smile.
It's okay if we never meet again. I'm lucky you were here just for a while!

We've got recession these days...in goverment we've no faith.
Could we hit "reset," that'd be number one! And since we're all here, it's just so much fun!

All right! All right!
In university class
All right! All right!
We've got a movie star!
Long as we've one leaf on, we're doin' fine! We're all together, it's a happy time!

All right! All right!
Long as we still can breathe in...
All right! All right!
Long as we still can breathe out...
We're so healthy, it just makes ya sick!
Everybody say "All right!"

[Repeat]

Bye-Q!

lemonpie
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby lemonpie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:07 pm

CE2JD wrote:G R Double-E N Leaves
G R Double-E N Leaves

It's so easy! Happy-go-lucky!
We are the world! We did it!
Hyuu! Hyuu! Hyuu! Hyuu! Osu! Osu! Osu! Osu! (Ai!)
Yatta! Yatta!
Daigaku gohgaku
Yatta! Yatta!
Shachoh shuunin
Happa ichimai areba ii. Ikite iru kara lucky da!

Yatta! Yatta!
Tohsen kakujitsu
Yatta! Yatta!
Nihon daihyoh
Yannaru kurai kenkoh da.
Everybody say yatta!

Nippon kyuukyuu (demo)
Ashita wa wonderful
Ijiwaru saretemo futon haireba
Guu guu guu guu! Pass pass pass pass (Ohayo--!)

Yatta! Yatta!
Kuujikan suimin
Yatta! Yatta!
Neoki de jump
Donna ii koto aru daroh ikite ita kara lucky da!

Yatta! Yatta!
Kimi ga kawareba
Yatta! Yatta!
Sekai mo kawaru
Marugoshi dakara saikoh da massugu tattara kimochi ii--!

O-mizu nondara umee! (Yatta!)
Hi ni atattara attakee! (Yatta!)
Koshi kara warattara omoshiree! (Yatta! Yatta!)
Inu-katte mitara kawaii! (Yatta!)

[Repeat]

Surechigai-zama hohoemi kureta
Nido to aenaku-tatte ii kimi ga ita kara lucky da!

Heisei fukyoh seiji fushin
Reset sae surya saikoh da! Minna iru kara tanoshii--!

Yatta! Yatta!
Daigaku kyohshitsu
Yatta! Yatta!
Movie star
Happa ichimai areba ii. Minna issho da happy da!

Yatta! Yatta!
Iki wo sueru
Yatta! Yatta!
Iki wo hakeru
Yannaru gurai kenkoh da! Everybody say yatta!

[Repeat *]
Bye-Q!

English


G R Double-E N Leaves
G R Double-E N Leaves
It's so easy! Happy-go-lucky!
We are the world! We did it!
Whoo! Whoo! Whoo! Whoo! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! (Unh!)

All right! All right!
We're doin' great in college!
All right! All right!
Made president at our jobs!
Long as we've one leaf on, we're doin' fine! Hey, we're lucky just 'cause we're alive!

All right! All right!
We've been confirmed for the prize!
All right! All right!
We're representing Japan!
We're so healthy, it just makes ya sick!
Everybody say "All right!"

Japan's got crises (but)
Tomorrow's wonderful
Even if somebody's mean to us, we just go to bed and
Snore! Snore! Snore! Snore! Pass! Pass! Pass! Pass! (Good morniiiiing!)

All right! All right!
We got nine hours of sleep!
All right! All right!
Woke up and jumped outta bed
What kinda great things might await us now? Hey, we're lucky just 'cause we're alive!

All right! All right!
If there's a change in you
All right! All right!
Then the whole world will change too.
Getting through it unhurt's the best of all. Just stand up straight because it feels greeeaat!!

I drink water that's tasty! (All right!)
I get in the sun and feel toasty! (All right!)
Havin' a belly laugh's fun! (All right! All right!)
Try keeping dogs--they're cute! (All right!)

[Repeat]

As we brushed past each other, you favored me with a smile.
It's okay if we never meet again. I'm lucky you were here just for a while!

We've got recession these days...in goverment we've no faith.
Could we hit "reset," that'd be number one! And since we're all here, it's just so much fun!

All right! All right!
In university class
All right! All right!
We've got a movie star!
Long as we've one leaf on, we're doin' fine! We're all together, it's a happy time!

All right! All right!
Long as we still can breathe in...
All right! All right!
Long as we still can breathe out...
We're so healthy, it just makes ya sick!
Everybody say "All right!"

[Repeat]

Bye-Q!


omoshiroi...

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby CE2JD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:08 pm

OR... as heard and understood by American barbarian:

G-I-Double-E-F Lives
G-I-Double-E-F Lives

Is so easy
Happy go, oh, lucky
We are the wad of dough
We didn't eat
QQQQSSSS...I


Yatta yatta
Daigaku goukaku (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Shachou shuunin (yatta yatta)
Happa ichimai areba ii
Ikiteiru kara lucky da!

Yatta yatta
Tousen kakujitsu (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Nippon daihyou (yatta yatta)
Yannara gurai kenkou da
And everybody say "Yatta!"

Nippon Q Queue [Dog]
Ash Gala (Wonderful)
Easy rider salad the Mall
Who dong hide label
Goo goo goo goo
Pass pass pass pass (Ohio!)


Yatta yatta
Kujikan suimin (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Neoki de jump (yatta yatta)
Donna ii koto aru darou
Ikiteita kara lucky da!

Yatta yatta
Kimi ga kawareba (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Sekai mo kawaru (yatta yatta)
Maru oh sh*t I've got a Psycho Bear™
But still you talk ta-ta
Jumanji!

ÖÖÖÖ
SSSS

ÖÖÖÖ...SSSS

Omizu nondara ume! (yatta!)
(Translation) ¿Yo quiero Yatta Bell? (Yatta!)
Hara kara warattata omoshire~! (yatta yatta!)
You look up to eating one calorie? (yatta!)

Is so easy
Happy go, oh, lucky
We are the wad of dough
We didn't eat
QQQQSSSS...I


Sue itchy guys, uh huh
Ohoemi kureta
Nido to aenaku tatte ii
KEY MIGA EAT I GOT A LUCKY DA!!!1

Heisei fukyou
Benji fushin
Reset sae surya Psycho Dog!
Minna iru kara tanoshii!

Yatta yatta
Daigaku kyouju (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Movie star (yatta yatta)
Happa ichimai nareba ii
Minna issho da HAPPY DA!

Yatta yatta
Iki wo sueru (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Iki wo hakeru (yatta yatta)
Yannara kurai kenkou da
And everybody say... "Yatta!"

G-I-Double-E-F Lives
G-I-Double-E-F Lives

Bacon!

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 pm

CE2JD wrote:OR... as heard and understood by American barbarian:

G-I-Double-E-F Lives
G-I-Double-E-F Lives

Is so easy
Happy go, oh, lucky
We are the wad of dough
We didn't eat
QQQQSSSS...I


Yatta yatta
Daigaku goukaku (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Shachou shuunin (yatta yatta)
Happa ichimai areba ii
Ikiteiru kara lucky da!

Yatta yatta
Tousen kakujitsu (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Nippon daihyou (yatta yatta)
Yannara gurai kenkou da
And everybody say "Yatta!"

Nippon Q Queue [Dog]
Ash Gala (Wonderful)
Easy rider salad the Mall
Who dong hide label
Goo goo goo goo
Pass pass pass pass (Ohio!)


Yatta yatta
Kujikan suimin (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Neoki de jump (yatta yatta)
Donna ii koto aru darou
Ikiteita kara lucky da!

Yatta yatta
Kimi ga kawareba (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Sekai mo kawaru (yatta yatta)
Maru oh sh*t I've got a Psycho Bear™
But still you talk ta-ta
Jumanji!

ÖÖÖÖ
SSSS

ÖÖÖÖ...SSSS

Omizu nondara ume! (yatta!)
(Translation) ¿Yo quiero Yatta Bell? (Yatta!)
Hara kara warattata omoshire~! (yatta yatta!)
You look up to eating one calorie? (yatta!)

Is so easy
Happy go, oh, lucky
We are the wad of dough
We didn't eat
QQQQSSSS...I


Sue itchy guys, uh huh
Ohoemi kureta
Nido to aenaku tatte ii
KEY MIGA EAT I GOT A LUCKY DA!!!1

Heisei fukyou
Benji fushin
Reset sae surya Psycho Dog!
Minna iru kara tanoshii!

Yatta yatta
Daigaku kyouju (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Movie star (yatta yatta)
Happa ichimai nareba ii
Minna issho da HAPPY DA!

Yatta yatta
Iki wo sueru (yatta yatta)
Yatta yatta
Iki wo hakeru (yatta yatta)
Yannara kurai kenkou da
And everybody say... "Yatta!"

G-I-Double-E-F Lives
G-I-Double-E-F Lives

Bacon!


Animutations are always TCR.

climber
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby climber » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:10 pm

If you are interested in securities Columbia, Northwestern, and Georgetown have some powerhouse faculty.

User avatar
Space_Cowboy
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:The highest ranked school you can get into is the best schol for corporate law.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm

I highly doubt Yale's curriculum is tailored to teach students basics of corporate law. Really now.

I'd say Harvard and CLS. Chicago, too, maybe - after all, we did have a whole LRW section where we got lectured on how to draft transactional corporate contracts just yesterday.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby TheWire » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:40 pm

this is from the yale profile on tls:

Business and Corporate Law

While Yale is often acknowledged as a leader in producing academics and public servants, it is sometimes forgotten that “Yale Law School has a long and illustrious tradition in business law. Starting in the nineteenth century with Simeon Baldwin, who was the leading railroad lawyer of his day, continuing with Arthur Corbin, the leading contract scholar at the outset of the 20th century, and through the legal realists of the 1920s through 1940s, Yale Law School’s business law faculty was key to its emergence as one of the centers of teaching and scholarship in law.”

Generally, most of the scholarship and academic pursuits related to business and corporate law are organized under the umbrella of the Center for the Study of Corporate Law, which was created in 1999. The Center seeks to provide students and faculty with greater exposure to and engagement with contemporary business law issues. To that end, the Center hosts a variety of named lectures, roundtables, panels, symposia, and conferences on various topics. It also sponsors interactive colloquia and workshops that allow for presentation of ongoing research and discussion of pressing topics.

Students with an interest in business and corporate law have access to a tremendous faculty at the law school and across the university; course offerings are plentiful and diverse. YLS students can also choose to pursue a joint J.D.-M.B.A. degree with the Yale School of Management; the degree can be completed either in the traditional four years or through a new accelerated three year program. A J.D.-Ph.D. in Finance is also available for those who seek to teach business law. The Yale Journal on Regulation (JREG) is a student law journal focusing largely on business and corporate law issues.

User avatar
rw2264
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:The highest ranked school you can get into is the best school for corporate law.


This is correct.

That being said, upon hearing you want to work for Wall Street firms, I think to the Simpsons:

*Lenin breaks through the glass of his Glass Coffin* "Must....destroy....capitalism!"



<3

User avatar
rw2264
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 pm

also, Columbia loves finance.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:50 pm

TheWire wrote:this is from the yale profile on tls:

Business and Corporate Law

While Yale is often acknowledged as a leader in producing academics and public servants, it is sometimes forgotten that “Yale Law School has a long and illustrious tradition in business law. Starting in the nineteenth century with Simeon Baldwin, who was the leading railroad lawyer of his day, continuing with Arthur Corbin, the leading contract scholar at the outset of the 20th century, and through the legal realists of the 1920s through 1940s, Yale Law School’s business law faculty was key to its emergence as one of the centers of teaching and scholarship in law.”

Generally, most of the scholarship and academic pursuits related to business and corporate law are organized under the umbrella of the Center for the Study of Corporate Law, which was created in 1999. The Center seeks to provide students and faculty with greater exposure to and engagement with contemporary business law issues. To that end, the Center hosts a variety of named lectures, roundtables, panels, symposia, and conferences on various topics. It also sponsors interactive colloquia and workshops that allow for presentation of ongoing research and discussion of pressing topics.

Students with an interest in business and corporate law have access to a tremendous faculty at the law school and across the university; course offerings are plentiful and diverse. YLS students can also choose to pursue a joint J.D.-M.B.A. degree with the Yale School of Management; the degree can be completed either in the traditional four years or through a new accelerated three year program. A J.D.-Ph.D. in Finance is also available for those who seek to teach business law. The Yale Journal on Regulation (JREG) is a student law journal focusing largely on business and corporate law issues.


I didn't claim one couldn't pursue corporate law at Yale if that's what they wanted (In fact, I'd be hard pressed to think of anything a person couldn't pursue at Yale.) I just think that the corporate law focus is more strongly present at CLS, just as IP is particularly well developed at SLS.

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby TheWire » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 pm

dresden doll wrote:
TheWire wrote:this is from the yale profile on tls:

Business and Corporate Law

While Yale is often acknowledged as a leader in producing academics and public servants, it is sometimes forgotten that “Yale Law School has a long and illustrious tradition in business law. Starting in the nineteenth century with Simeon Baldwin, who was the leading railroad lawyer of his day, continuing with Arthur Corbin, the leading contract scholar at the outset of the 20th century, and through the legal realists of the 1920s through 1940s, Yale Law School’s business law faculty was key to its emergence as one of the centers of teaching and scholarship in law.”

Generally, most of the scholarship and academic pursuits related to business and corporate law are organized under the umbrella of the Center for the Study of Corporate Law, which was created in 1999. The Center seeks to provide students and faculty with greater exposure to and engagement with contemporary business law issues. To that end, the Center hosts a variety of named lectures, roundtables, panels, symposia, and conferences on various topics. It also sponsors interactive colloquia and workshops that allow for presentation of ongoing research and discussion of pressing topics.

Students with an interest in business and corporate law have access to a tremendous faculty at the law school and across the university; course offerings are plentiful and diverse. YLS students can also choose to pursue a joint J.D.-M.B.A. degree with the Yale School of Management; the degree can be completed either in the traditional four years or through a new accelerated three year program. A J.D.-Ph.D. in Finance is also available for those who seek to teach business law. The Yale Journal on Regulation (JREG) is a student law journal focusing largely on business and corporate law issues.


I didn't claim one couldn't pursue corporate law at Yale if that's what they wanted (In fact, I'd be hard pressed to think of anything a person couldn't pursue at Yale.) I just think that the corporate law focus is more strongly present at CLS, just as IP is particularly well developed at SLS.


Here's the rankings for IP:

Best Law Schools Specialty Rankings: Intellectual Property Law
Ranked in 2009
1 Stanford University Stanford, CA
2 University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA
3 George Washington University Washington, DC
4 Columbia University New York, NY
Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago-Kent) Chicago, IL
6 Franklin Pierce Law Center Concord, NH
7 University of Houston Houston, TX
8 Santa Clara University Santa Clara, CA
Yeshiva University (Cardozo) New York, NY
10 Duke University Durham, NC

just because stanford is ranked 1 and columbia is 4 doesn't necessarily suggest that they arent BOTH well developed. I feel the same way about yale regarding corporate, i feel like even if it isnt the top ranked corporate program, you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to study it.

just my $.02

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby TTH » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: which law schools are the best for corporate law?

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 pm

^

TCR




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest