Iowa ($$$$) vs. Notre Dame ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa(full) Vs Notre Dame(5k)

Iowa
65%
Notre Dame
35%

Total votes: 89

sckon

Silver

Iowa ($$$$) vs. Notre Dame ($)

Post by sckon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Iowa with full ride vs Notre Dame 5k

Edit: Iowa has top 1/3 stipulation vs Notre Dame with only good standing stipulation

Explanations or advise would be helpful also.
Last edited by sckon on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ps494

Bronze

Re: Iowa ($$$$) vs. Notre Dame ($)

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Free ride at Iowa. That would be hard as hell to pass up. It would reduce soooo much stress in law school. Needles to say, however, Notre Dame is better, but it's not that much better. Maybe if ND was a T10 then I would say forget about the money.
Last edited by ps494 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm

I know. I am having a hard time deciding and need a pros and cons breakdown. I dont know much about Iowa. Does it have an inflated ranking like IU-Bloomington or is it a generally solid school?

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

I went for a full ride at a lower ranked school instead of a small scholarship at a (significantly higher) ranked school. I'm only a 1L, but so far I don't regret it. It takes a lot of the pressure off.

jmaan

Bronze

Post by jmaan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

if Iowa wins tonight go there

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

sckon wrote:I know. I am having a hard time deciding and need a pros and cons breakdown. I dont know much about Iowa. Does it have an inflated ranking like IU-Bloomington or is it a generally solid school?

LOL I think IU-Bloomington is way worse.

What exactly do you want to do with your degree? Big law, public interest, etc.?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm

No brainer, IOWA!

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm

The only thing I worry about is the top 1/3rd of the class stipulation. How hard is that?

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 pm

How did you manage only $5k at ND while getting a full ride at Iowa? I realize admissions can be somewhat arbitrary, but wow.

Definitely go to Iowa unless you have extraordinary reasons to go to ND. If anything, you could use the full ride as a bargaining chip, but I doubt you'd get much more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 pm

ps494 wrote:
sckon wrote:I know. I am having a hard time deciding and need a pros and cons breakdown. I dont know much about Iowa. Does it have an inflated ranking like IU-Bloomington or is it a generally solid school?

LOL I think IU-Bloomington is way worse.

What exactly do you want to do with your degree? Big law, public interest, etc.?
More corporation or big law. I know Iowa has a cool corporation law journal and curriculum that would help.

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 pm

sckon wrote:The only thing I worry about is the top 1/3rd of the class stipulation. How hard is that?

Edit for reading comp fail.

If the LSAT is indicative of how you will perform in law school, then you would easily be in the top 1/3 since your LSAT score is easily in the top 1/4 for Iowa.

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:59 pm

sckon wrote:Iowa with full ride vs Notre Dame 5k

Does the difference in money really matter over the course of a 30 year career? No, of course not. Notre Dame is a pretty storied law school.... Iowa's ranking could be a bit inflated as well.

Imagine that JD on the wall.... would you like to see Corn-land Iowa staring back and you and every potential client for the rest of your life or NOTRE DAME?

I'd seriously go ND.... yes, you'll incur debt, who cares.... what's the payment extended out 10 to 15 years on 100k or so? 1000/month or so? Arbitrary I say.

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm

lawoftheland wrote:

Does the difference in money really matter over the course of a 30 year career? No, of course not. Notre Dame is a pretty storied law school.... Iowa's ranking could be a bit inflated as well.

Imagine that JD on the wall.... would you like to see Corn-land Iowa staring back and you and every potential client for the rest of your life or NOTRE DAME?

I'd seriously go ND.... yes, you'll incur debt, who cares.... what's the payment extended out 10 to 15 years on 100k or so? 1000/month or so? Arbitrary I say.

PS - my brother-in-law's finance's dad went to ND Law..... then became the CFO of a MAJOR health insurance company for 20+ years. They're hanging out in Italy at the moment. Don't be stupid... Notre Dame.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm

lawoftheland wrote:

This has got to be the worst advice ever. With your logic, you should not even concern yourself with debt whatsoever. And yes, he/she will be better off in 30 years because he/she won't still be paying off student loans.

Also, what kind of a pretentious douche-bag would go to a school based on whether or not it looks good to have that degree on their wall?

Lawoftheland evidently would choose a law schools based on how cool it sounds when he tells his friends.

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 pm

This has got to be the worst advice ever. With your logic, you should not even concern yourself with debt whatsoever. And yes, he/she will be better off in 30 years because he/she won't still be paying off student loans.

Also, what kind of a pretentious douche-bag would go to a school based on whether or not it looks good to have that degree on their wall?[/quote]

Oh I don't know... perhaps the thousands of contributors to a forum called TOP LAW SCHOOLS.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm

lawoftheland wrote:

rofl

That said, a top 1/3 stipulation is rough, and you'll really be kicking yourself for turning Notre Dame down if you end up losing the Iowa scholarship. However, my understanding is that getting in-state tuition is relatively easy for 2L/3L at Iowa--you should probably look in to that.

Both schools are rather regional. Notre Dame's placement is better, but you might be talking the difference of biglaw for 25% vs biglaw for 15%--who knows what the situation will be in 2013, could be worse, could be better.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Money talks - Iowa. ND is not highly ranked to justify the mountain of debt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 pm

I am going to ask ND for more money. But is Iowa a peer school?

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Don't be doofuses.... ND wins this theoretical argument by virtue of future placement as well as future inflation. (oh it's coming... which is at least good for student loan debt)

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Well, based on rankings, Iowa is a peer school - both are in the 20s. Plus, they are in the same basic region. Apply to IU Bloomington and get a full or near full ride there and really mount the pressure on ND to pony up another 10k a year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:15 pm

ps494 wrote:
sckon wrote:The only thing I worry about is the top 1/3rd of the class stipulation. How hard is that?

If the LSAT is indicative of how you will perform in law school, then you would easily be in the top 1/3 since your LSAT score is easily in the top 1/4 for Iowa.
Do you think that most top LSAT scorers should instead attend T2 schools in markets they are interested in? Would a 170 scorer be better off at a school with a 160 75th percentile LSAT with close to a full ride in a market she is interested in than at Georgetown/Vanderbilt/Wustl? Just curious as to what you think. I am considering going T2 for that reason. I think I'd rather be top 10% at a strong regional T2 than median at a T20.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Well, based on rankings, Iowa is a peer school - both are in the 20s. Plus, they are in the same basic region. Apply to IU Bloomington and get a full or near full ride there and really mount the pressure on ND to pony up another 10k a year.

I got money from IU. Is that enough theoretical leverage?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:18 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
ps494 wrote:

Do you think that most top LSAT scorers should instead attend T2 schools in markets they are interested in? Would a 170 scorer be better off at a school with a 160 75th percentile LSAT with close to a full ride in a market she is interested in than at Georgetown/Vanderbilt/Wustl? Just curious as to what you think. I am considering going T2 for that reason. I think I'd rather be top 10% at a strong regional T2 than median at a T20.
If you go to the T2, go because they are offering you significant money, not because you think you're going to be smarter than your peers. LSAT isn't a particularly good indicator of 1L performance--my LSAT was below Wisconsin's median, for example.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 pm

How much? Full ride or at least 2/3? If so, then combined with the full ride to Iowa, you have a lot of regional leverage in the same (theoretical) peer group to use on ND.

Whether they bite is another thing, but it's certainly SEEMS like it would have a chance of working.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”