Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go to law school?

Pitt ($12k)
13
27%
Penn State
5
10%
Brooklyn
3
6%
St. Johns (full ride)
23
48%
Hofstra
0
No votes
American
4
8%
 
Total votes: 48

Terp22
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Terp22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:17 pm

This poll is made assuming I don't get into Cardozo (I think I will get in, but if I don't then all of these schools become a legit option) or get accepted off the Fordham waitlist.

Currently a senior at a pretty solid public school (should be obvious by my username), I got a 164 in the june lsat and have a 3.4 LSAC gpa. Journalism major.

I am from pittsburgh, but would like to make the move to NY sooner rather than later.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:18 pm

What does the scholly at Pitt make the overall cost with in-state tuition?

User avatar
j.wellington
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby j.wellington » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Maybe it's not my place, but I might suggest you move to New York after graduation, try to work for a year and then apply to Brooklyn (or if you're already in, maybe you could defer). From my understanding, it's a great school if and only if you want to be in NYC long term, and living here a year would qualify you for in-state tuition.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:26 pm

j.wellington wrote:Maybe it's not my place, but I might suggest you move to New York after graduation, try to work for a year and then apply to Brooklyn (or if you're already in, maybe you could defer). From my understanding, it's a great school if and only if you want to be in NYC long term, and living here a year would qualify you for in-state tuition.

Brooklyn is a private school, only one, very expensive, tuition option. But there would be other in-state options (Albany, Buffalo, etc.)

I would either take Pitt or St. John's if I were you.

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 pm

seems like with a 164 you could try a few higher ranked schools...from the list though id say definitely St Johns...nothing else trumps it enough to cancel out all that money

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 pm

As long as there aren't major stipulations on the scholarship, take the full ride. Employment prospects from those schools are going to be generally the same for a given class rank/GPA, so minimize your debt load

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 pm

j.wellington wrote:Maybe it's not my place, but I might suggest you move to New York after graduation, try to work for a year and then apply to Brooklyn (or if you're already in, maybe you could defer). From my understanding, it's a great school if and only if you want to be in NYC long term, and living here a year would qualify you for in-state tuition.


Wrong on both counts. Brooklyn is private and its about the worst value of nearly all the law schools in the Country.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Of that list, St. Johns FTW.

I'd probably still vote for St. Johns if you get into Cardozo or Fordham w/out money. NYC is expensive, yo!

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:46 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
j.wellington wrote:Maybe it's not my place, but I might suggest you move to New York after graduation, try to work for a year and then apply to Brooklyn (or if you're already in, maybe you could defer). From my understanding, it's a great school if and only if you want to be in NYC long term, and living here a year would qualify you for in-state tuition.


Wrong on both counts. Brooklyn is private and its about the worst value of nearly all the law schools in the Country.


All law schools are overpriced relative to what law school cost even 10-15 years ago so I won't argue that BLS is worth what they charge....the bashing it gets though is a bit much. I work with an attorney, went to an average (large) college for undergrad, was in the lower portion of the top 1/3 at BLS, got a ADA job in BK, now works for the state making 80-90k. I would say most that attend BLS would be more than happy with that life/job before theyre 35. Sure this can be dismissed as anecdotal, but theres nothing about his story that is especially strange or based on some weird luck. Its a respected (respected, not amazing)school in NYC. period.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:51 pm

hank44 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
j.wellington wrote:Maybe it's not my place, but I might suggest you move to New York after graduation, try to work for a year and then apply to Brooklyn (or if you're already in, maybe you could defer). From my understanding, it's a great school if and only if you want to be in NYC long term, and living here a year would qualify you for in-state tuition.


Wrong on both counts. Brooklyn is private and its about the worst value of nearly all the law schools in the Country.


All law schools are overpriced relative to what law school cost even 10-15 years ago so I won't argue that BLS is worth what they charge....the bashing it gets though is a bit much. I work with an attorney, went to an average (large) college for undergrad, was in the lower portion of the top 1/3 at BLS, got a ADA job in BK, now works for the state making 80-90k. I would say most that attend BLS would be more than happy with that life/job before theyre 35. Sure this can be dismissed as anecdotal, but theres nothing about his story that is especially strange or based on some weird luck. Its a respected (respected, not amazing)school in NYC. period.


It's hard to pay back $150k of debt when you're living in NYC and start out making $60-70k/yr, and it's hard to justify a school where that would be the fate of the average student...

timertimer61
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby timertimer61 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:51 pm

why not fordham pt? i think i would pick that over all of those.

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Agreed. I'm not arguing that its the smartest of moves to make. What I AM saying is that BLS is no worse than just about EVERY school in a big city that isnt the number 1/2 game in town.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 pm

hank44 wrote:Agreed. I'm not arguing that its the smartest of moves to make. What I AM saying is that BLS is no worse than just about EVERY school in a big city that isnt the number 1/2 game in town.


That's true, but I'd say that it's not all that much better than St. John's, and especially not at full price when St. John's offers a full ride. Fordham PT might be the other other advisable option besides looking at Pitt with the $$, but you still will be coming out with a lot of debt, and not nearly the job prospects that were available a few years ago

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:00 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
hank44 wrote:Agreed. I'm not arguing that its the smartest of moves to make. What I AM saying is that BLS is no worse than just about EVERY school in a big city that isnt the number 1/2 game in town.


That's true, but I'd say that it's not all that much better than St. John's, and especially not at full price when St. John's offers a full ride. Fordham PT might be the other other advisable option besides looking at Pitt with the $$, but you still will be coming out with a lot of debt, and not nearly the job prospects that were available a few years ago


I think we're in agreement lol : theres not much of a difference between SJU/BLS so if one gives you a full ride its a no brainer, OP. I also agree with the Fordham PT option if you get in. What I was getting at, and admittedly it was a bit off topic, was that BLS is no worse than SJU and similar schools in the area - assuming we're talking about going with sticker price. I hardly think it could be called one of the worst value options in the country, as a previous post argued.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 pm

hank44 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
hank44 wrote:Agreed. I'm not arguing that its the smartest of moves to make. What I AM saying is that BLS is no worse than just about EVERY school in a big city that isnt the number 1/2 game in town.


That's true, but I'd say that it's not all that much better than St. John's, and especially not at full price when St. John's offers a full ride. Fordham PT might be the other other advisable option besides looking at Pitt with the $$, but you still will be coming out with a lot of debt, and not nearly the job prospects that were available a few years ago


I think we're in agreement lol : theres not much of a difference between SJU/BLS so if one gives you a full ride its a no brainer, OP. I also agree with the Fordham PT option if you get in. What I was getting at, and admittedly it was a bit off topic, was that BLS is no worse than SJU and similar schools in the area - assuming we're talking about going with sticker price. I hardly think it could be called one of the worst value options in the country, as a previous post argued.


Oh, I think what the other posters were getting at is how expensive BLS is compared to the job prospects. It is a crime for a school like that to charge $40k+/yr, for any school like that to do so. If BLS were public and cost $20k/yr, I don't think it would get anywhere near the scorn it garners...

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 pm

So, can I ask, why do you want to leave Pittsburgh? It's an incredible city - it's more like 20 small cities and a peninsula (literally) of major commerce and industry - and Pitt dominates the market there. Plus it has a great campus.

I mean if they offered bigger rides, I'd go to Pitt no questions asked, but it seems like they give that 12k to everyone above their median, but no more than it.

However, St. John's full ride is your best bet for desiring work in NYC. Cardozo is solid, but without a scholarship it's incredibly expensive.

Terp22
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Terp22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

As far as the Fordham PT option goes, keep in mind I am a journalism major so there is pretty much no legitimage job option for me.

I am still thinking I want Cardozo if I get in there, but you guys have really opened my eyes to the St. John's over Brooklyn option.

And as for Pittsburgh being a great city- I 100% agree (city of champions for a few more weeks!). But because of college the vast majority of my friends and connections are from the NY area at this point in my life.

Terp22
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Terp22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Veritas wrote:What does the scholly at Pitt make the overall cost with in-state tuition?


about 14 grand/year living at home

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Terp22 wrote:
Veritas wrote:What does the scholly at Pitt make the overall cost with in-state tuition?


about 14 grand/year living at home

Ok, then definitely this option over St. John's, I think.

linquest
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby linquest » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:15 am

St. Johns, no question, considering the scholarship and the fact that you want to live in NY. Just curious, why are you still considering Hofstra?

User avatar
wardboro
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby wardboro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 am

My vote went to Pitt. If NYC doesn't end up working out, you should be able to get an alright job in Pittsburgh and have very limited debt. If you go to St. Johns, there's no dominant market for you to retreat to if things don't work out like you hoped as far as grades are concerned. Frankly, I'd take Pitt over Cardozo--and I think it makes more sense financially in the long (and short) run--but I have no desire to move to NYC.

User avatar
Cara
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Help me rank my schools please ! (164, 3.4)

Postby Cara » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 am

If you want to work in NYC then St Johns. All the schools you listed have pretty equally poor employment prospects in this economy so you may as well take the free ride. Then at least you will have no debt. I'd even take St John's for that reason over Cardozo.

I don't know enough about the Pittsburgh market to comment on that.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest