Arizona State ?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolftw

Arizona State ?

Postby lawschoolftw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Okay so my list of schools is long with most schools being on the east coast. Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC. Recently because of personal reasons as well as other reasons I've considered relocating off the east coast and changing things up a bit. Can anyone speak to the quality of Arizona State is. Its just right outside the Top 50, but from what I've generally seen and it makes senese to conclude that it benefits from the fact that its one of the only major law schools in Phoenix and thus job prospects should be better? I'm really not sure though. I'm thinking I'd much more benefit attending a school like this rather than say a higher ranked school such as American University just because of its location. Can anyone speak to anything about the law school, job prospects, quality of life, etc. Any input would be apprecaited.

NancyBotwin

Re: Arizona State ?

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 pm

If you want to practice in Phoenix or the southwest, ASU is not a terrible choice. I believe ASU and UofA both place pretty equally in Phoenix, and then UofA probably more so in Tucson. USC, UCLA, and other California schools would also be good choices for the region, depending on how high or low in the rankings you are able or want to go.

As for the quality of life, yes the weather is great most of the year, but you absolutely MUST visit during the summer to see if you can stand the heat. People always say "oh, but it's a dry heat." Try living here (yes, I am in Phoenix) during monsoon season (July-August) when it's 80% humidity and 115 degrees outside. That said, if you don't mind not having snow or real seasons to speak of, the winters are very mild (lows in the 40s, highs in the 60s, sometimes 70s) and spring and fall are extremely comfortable. When we first moved here, my dad was thrilled that he could tell his friends back in OR that he was swimming outside in November. Of course, if you want to see snow or go skiing or whatever, Flagstaff is only about a 2-2.5 hour drive from Phoenix.

Rent used to be pretty cheap, but it has gone up quite a bit, especially around the Tempe area - however, compared to places like DC, Boston, and NYC, it's a bargain and apartments are huge (you can usually find a 700+ sq-ft 1 bedroom for around $700, depending on the neighborhood). Tempe itself is pretty neat, and the Tempe/Scottsdale social/bar/club scene is not terrible if that's what you're into.

sanpiero

Re: Arizona State ?

Postby sanpiero » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm

It's hard to say what job prospects are at ASU ITE, as they haven't released employment data since 2007. Nevertheless, being the only major law school in the PHX metro area is of great benefit to students. I get the feeling that if you are in the top 1/3 of your class you will be very competitive for midlaw in PHX and top 10-20% for larger firms. That being said, if you don't want to practice in AZ after you graduate, you should probably look elsewhere. Placement in CA is possible but it doesn't happen often. This is probably a combination of the ASU degree's lack of portability and its students lack of interest in practicing outside AZ.

ASU's externship program is very strong, if you are interested in public employment. They place close to 100 students in public externships each summer.

Quality of life is very good at ASU. If you enjoy warm weather, you will like Tempe. July and August are nearly unbearable but the rest of the year is sunny, clear, and warm. There are a bunch of restaurants, bars, and shopping in Tempe.

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM

Return to “Choosing a Law School”