Which best law schools can I get into? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DoubleChecks

Gold

Re: Which best law schools can I get into?

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Doritos wrote:
atitz wrote:Doritos, I know you're just kidding. But seriously, I'm not super smart. I'm just studious.

Someone I know who graduated from my university got into Yale 3 years ago. (He was the first ever and the last that I know of who got into Yale Law.) He encourages me to attend Yale, but when I asked what his stats are, I felt insecure. He's also a summa cum laude, but his LSAT was 178. Both his parents are practicing attorney so he knows the law since he was a baby. I'm not aiming for Yale or Harvard. I'd be glad to be accepted at either Stanford or Berkeley. One of my concerns/worries are, a law degree from either school might not be well-respected in the East Coast.

I was not kidding about the schools you can get into. You have a 3.98 and a 172. 3.98 is 75th percentile for Yale and 172 is around their median. You aren't an auto admit (no one is at Yale...) but you have a darn good shot. Write a good Personal statement and send the adcomms a fruit basket and I think you're in. There just aren't that many humans who have numbers much better than yours so be confident with that. I would be shocked if Harvard or Stanford rejected you. If you want to go for free you are a great candidate for Darrow or another full tuition scholarship at a lower T10 (Michigan, Virginia, Penn, etc.). For realz my man, you are in great shape to get into a great school.
tho i think the OP has a great shot at HSCCNB, you're making HYS sound like too much of a walk in the park lol. 3.98/172 is hardly a lock for H at all, not to even get started on Y. sure there arent a lot of ppl w/ better numbers, but there are even fewer seats haha. unless being international gives you a significant boost, id say he's 50/50 at harvard (not this cycle, prob too late)...and stanford is always hard to tell, but if he wants it and writes a good PS, i can see him getting in.

lol Darrow's and HYS really arent that easy to get, unless once again, im getting confused and being an international applicant gives you a super boost.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Checks is probably right, I have been paying more attention to URM's cycles (seeing as I am one) so how you non-brown people get into school is foreign to me. I was just taking an educated guess looking at medians and such. Though the OP is not URM I think being international can be made into a great PS and DS which would lead me to believe he's in. Either way OP I want you to promise me you will apply to Yale, Harvard and Stanford. You could be pleasantly surprised and you never know unless you try.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:22 pm

atitz wrote:
macattaq wrote:OP, you should definitely apply to everything T6. You will almost certainly get into at least 4, perhaps 5 of them (Yale is a crapshoot for people with 4.0/180). You say you want to be in California, Texas, or Florida, and that's fine. But, if you get into either Yale or Harvard, you should suck it up and do three years in the northeast. With a degree from either of those schools, you will be able to go more or less anywhere you want. That kind of flexibility is more than worth the three years in a less than favorable climate.
Thanks for your post, maam. Would you be kind to explain what T6 is? If that represents the top 6 law schools in America, can you enumerate what those schools are? Thanks.
I'm actually a guy, and you're welcome. Honestly, if you can get into Yale, go there. You can pretty much write your own ticket with that degree, from what I understand (cuz I sure as hell am not speaking from experience).

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Doritos wrote:Checks is probably right, I have been paying more attention to URM's cycles (seeing as I am one) so how you non-brown people get into school is foreign to me. I was just taking an educated guess looking at medians and such. Though the OP is not URM I think being international can be made into a great PS and DS which would lead me to believe he's in. Either way OP I want you to promise me you will apply to Yale, Harvard and Stanford. You could be pleasantly surprised and you never know unless you try.
agreed, OP, your numbers at least put you in the running, and unless you're really strapped for cash, apply and see where the chips fall

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:50 pm

thepcv wrote:
SolarWind wrote:T6 = Top 6

which based on USNWR Rankings are:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
New York
(Gets hazy here between Berkeley and Chicago)
+1
I totally forgot to add Chicago.
It doesn't really get hazy, its HYSCCN not HYSCN(C/B, I'm not really sure)

It hardly matters in this case, OP is obviously going to HYS if thats what they want. Enjoy it, you've earned it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:58 am

thepcv wrote:
atitz wrote:Hi. I'm from Asia (but I carry an American passport as I was born in the US) and I'm planning to attend law school in the US.
I have an a double undergraduate degree majors in business and accountancy. <b>My GPA is 1.09 (summa cum laude).</b>
My LSAT score is 172. I prefer to stay in the West Coast or South as I hate cold weather.
I'm just making a guess here, but I'm assuming that your GPA is using a different scale than the 4. scale that American schools use (since you were summa cum laude).
oh, lol

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 am

postitnotes wrote:Stanford looks good on the East Coast because it's one of the big 3 schools.
If you want to work on the East Coast, you are better off going to Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Penn, Michigan, UVA, Duke than Berkeley.
TITCR

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 am

DoubleChecks wrote:tho i think the OP has a great shot at HSCCNB, you're making HYS sound like too much of a walk in the park lol. 3.98/172 is hardly a lock for H at all, not to even get started on Y. sure there arent a lot of ppl w/ better numbers, but there are even fewer seats haha. unless being international gives you a significant boost, id say he's 50/50 at harvard (not this cycle, prob too late)...and stanford is always hard to tell, but if he wants it and writes a good PS, i can see him getting in.

lol Darrow's and HYS really arent that easy to get, unless once again, im getting confused and being an international applicant gives you a super boost.
this is probably accurate. And being Asian would not give any sort of URM boost.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:52 am

jerjon2 wrote:
thepcv wrote:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
New York
+1

It hardly matters in this case, OP is obviously going to HYS if thats what they want. Enjoy it, you've earned it.
Wrong.. depends on what OP wants... Berkeley >>> NYU for West Coast purposes.

Also HYS isn't guaranteed with those stats, especially for international purposes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:45 am

SolarWind wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:
thepcv wrote:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
New York
+1

Wrong.. depends on what OP wants... Berkeley >>> NYU for West Coast purposes.

Also HYS isn't guaranteed with those stats, especially for international purposes
I will agree that HYS isn't guaranteed with those stats but I think OP has a decent chance (if i understand what his/her GPA would be when converted to a 4.0 scale), I was just saying that when T6 is said, HYSCCN is meant. Also I would venture to say that ITE, Berkeley may be better than NYU, Chicago or Columbia if OP wants West Coast just to cultivate the right ties.

atitz

New

Post by atitz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19 pm

This is my initial list, based on preference.

Top 3 choices:
Harvard - my first choice now. I just realized it's hard to not put Harvard as my top choice :)
Stanford
Berkeley

(I wouldn't mind which of the two will I end up at. I love both schools.)

Fall back:
Duke
Columbia
Chicago
Texas

Thank you all people. You've very informative. :)

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

atitz wrote:This is my initial list, based on preference.

Top 3 choices:
Harvard - my first choice now. I just realized it's hard to not put Harvard as my top choice :)
Stanford
Berkeley

(I wouldn't mind which of the two will I end up at. I love both schools.)

Fall back:
Duke
Columbia
Chicago
Texas

Thank you all people. You've very informative. :)
Good luck, I don't think you will any trouble getting into a great school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”