Class Rank

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reza9333

Class Rank

Postby reza9333 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:55 am

Searching for some insight into the following question: If your hunting for big law, are you better off being in the top ~10% of your class in an upper T1 school (40's) or in the top ~30-50% of your class in a lower T1 school (generally T-14 excluding HYS, but specifically GULC, Berkley, UCLA) or are they relatively equal?

I'm not searching for anyone's personal opinion in weighing the two options. I'm asking if anyone can speak from experience or knows of someone who has gone through OCI in one of the above schools groups (T20 & 40-49). I believe my question will be most thoroughly answered by hearing how deep into the class rank students at these schools were, and still managed to land NLJ250 through OCI. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please post such data, or PM me class rank & school if you would prefer not to do a public post of that information.

Thank you in advance to all those who reply.
Last edited by reza9333 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Genki

Re: Class Rank

Postby Genki » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:02 am

reza9333 wrote:Searching for some insight into the following question: If your hunting for big law, are you better off being in the top ~10% of an upper T1 school (40's) or in the top ~30-50% of a lower T1 school (generally T-14 excluding HYS, but specifically GULC, Berkley, UCLA) or are they relatively equal?

I'm not searching for anyone's personal opinion in weighing the two options. I'm asking if anyone can speak from experience or knows of someone who has gone through OCI in one of the above schools groups (T15 & 40-49). I believe my question will be most thoroughly answered by hearing how deep into the class rank students at these schools were, and still managed to land NLJ250 through OCI. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please post such data, or PM me class rank & school if you would prefer not to do a public post of that information.

I assume you mean the top 30-50% of a lower T14 school?

I think it depends on where you want to work. Top 10% in a tier 1 will get you a great job in local markets for a lot of schools

reza9333

Re: Class Rank

Postby reza9333 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 am

Genki wrote:
reza9333 wrote:Searching for some insight into the following question: If your hunting for big law, are you better off being in the top ~10% of an upper T1 school (40's) or in the top ~30-50% of a lower T1 school (generally T-14 excluding HYS, but specifically GULC, Berkley, UCLA) or are they relatively equal?

I'm not searching for anyone's personal opinion in weighing the two options. I'm asking if anyone can speak from experience or knows of someone who has gone through OCI in one of the above schools groups (T15 & 40-49). I believe my question will be most thoroughly answered by hearing how deep into the class rank students at these schools were, and still managed to land NLJ250 through OCI. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please post such data, or PM me class rank & school if you would prefer not to do a public post of that information.

I assume you mean the top 30-50% of a lower T14 school?

I think it depends on where you want to work. Top 10% in a tier 1 will get you a great job in local markets for a lot of schools

I meant a student whose class rank places him in the top 1/2 (50%) to 1/3 (30%) of his or her class, who attends a school that is ranked 1-20. I did not say T14 exclusively because I am interested in several schools in the 15-20 range.

Assuming that you intend on practicing in the region of any of the schools discussed, and that the schools region has offices of NLJ250 firms.

Last bumped by reza9333 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 am.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”