W & M, UGA, or GM

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbing21

W & M, UGA, or GM

Postby jbing21 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 pm

I believe that most of my cycle is finished, I have a few reach schools still, but likely they will reject me. Currently here is my situation.

1) W & M with $8,000 yr scholarship

2) UGA with a few thousand a year scholarship

3) George Mason with no money

4) Alabama full ride

I know the scholarship figures aren't out yet for UGA, but I believe that scholarship will be accurate. I intend to work in the best firm I can get into after law school (i.e. not gov't or public interest).

The outside chance at George Washington is still there, but the school is so damn expensive. Help me decide.

Thanks

jawsthegreat

Re: W & M, UGA, or GM

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:52 pm

jbing21 wrote:I believe that most of my cycle is finished, I have a few reach schools still, but likely they will reject me. Currently here is my situation.

1) W & M with $8,000 yr scholarship

2) UGA with a few thousand a year scholarship

3) George Mason with no money

4) Alabama full ride

I know the scholarship figures aren't out yet for UGA, but I believe that scholarship will be accurate. I intend to work in the best firm I can get into after law school (i.e. not gov't or public interest).

The outside chance at George Washington is still there, but the school is so damn expensive. Help me decide.

Thanks

I would go to Bama.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Where do you hope to practice? As of right now, I'd say 'Bama.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Alabama, given that you didn't give regional preference.

jbing21

Postby jbing21 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 pm

I would hope to live in the southeast, with DC area being the farthest north.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:18 pm

jbing21 wrote:I would hope to live in the southeast, with DC area being the farthest north.

If you are a resident of GA, I would lean towards UGA. If not, I think that Alabama given the full-ride.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Alabama or UGA. Even without $, UGA's in-state tuition is only $12K/yr. If you're looking to practice in ATL, UGA > Bama

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Alabama without question. I have talked to UGA admissions several times and believe I will receive a full tuition scholarship to UGA. Even if I do, I still think that Alabama may be my top choice at this point. In your situation, free Alabama versus 20k per year in cost at UGA should be an easy decision IMO.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:47 pm

rapstar wrote:Alabama without question. I have talked to UGA admissions several times and believe I will receive a full tuition scholarship to UGA. Even if I do, I still think that Alabama may be my top choice at this point. In your situation, free Alabama versus 20k per year in cost at UGA should be an easy decision IMO.

Why?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:38 am

ITE definitely take the money.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:13 am

If you want to work in D.C. at all you should go for W&M. It has a better reputation in D.C. than 'Bama. That said, why not also apply to Emory? (which would place you well in the South East as well as D.C.)

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 am

uga 1L (in-state) here if you have any questions about uga.

that said, hard to beat a full scholarship from bama if your preference is just SE in general.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 am

[Alabama without question. I have talked to UGA admissions several times and believe I will receive a full tuition scholarship to UGA. Even if I do, I still think that Alabama may be my top choice at this point. In your situation, free Alabama versus 20k per year in cost at UGA should be an easy decision IMO.

Why? ]

I believe that it should be an easy decision for several reasons. Cost should be a strong consideration. If OP is OOS for UGA, but receives a few thousand per year in scholarship it will likely leave the cost at about $60,000 more than Alabama over three years. This will translate to approximately $700 per month in payments for 10 years to pay off the difference. ( If OP takes out loans for COL too then Bama could mean $400 per month in payments compared to UGA at $1100 per month). In order for this decision to be justified the OP would clearly have to get a much higher paying job out of UGA than Bama. I'm not sure that will happen considering both schools are ranked similarly (Bama even slightly ahead). Yes, UGA may get Atlanta big law, but that's only at the top of the class. If the OP can graduate at the top of the class then he or she could also land the same job out of Bama. At median, I think prospects are similar. I think Bama's lower reported earnings are largely caused by self selection. COL is lower in Alabama than GA, especially Atlanta, and as a result Alabama jobs pay less but yield the same standard of living. Finally, I think Alabama will continue to get better. The school treats applicants well and recruits the top applicants very aggressively. Given that it's easier to manipulate LSAT and GPA numbers for smaller class sizes (Alabama has at least 50 fewer students per year), I believe that Alabama will continue to assemble stronger and stronger classes going forward.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 am

If you like the deep south, supposedly Alabama dominates. And all for free.

Take Bama and run.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 pm

rapstar wrote:[Alabama without question. I have talked to UGA admissions several times and believe I will receive a full tuition scholarship to UGA. Even if I do, I still think that Alabama may be my top choice at this point. In your situation, free Alabama versus 20k per year in cost at UGA should be an easy decision IMO.

Why? ]

I believe that it should be an easy decision for several reasons. Cost should be a strong consideration. If OP is OOS for UGA, but receives a few thousand per year in scholarship it will likely leave the cost at about $60,000 more than Alabama over three years. This will translate to approximately $700 per month in payments for 10 years to pay off the difference. ( If OP takes out loans for COL too then Bama could mean $400 per month in payments compared to UGA at $1100 per month). In order for this decision to be justified the OP would clearly have to get a much higher paying job out of UGA than Bama. I'm not sure that will happen considering both schools are ranked similarly (Bama even slightly ahead). Yes, UGA may get Atlanta big law, but that's only at the top of the class. If the OP can graduate at the top of the class then he or she could also land the same job out of Bama. At median, I think prospects are similar. I think Bama's lower reported earnings are largely caused by self selection. COL is lower in Alabama than GA, especially Atlanta, and as a result Alabama jobs pay less but yield the same standard of living. Finally, I think Alabama will continue to get better. The school treats applicants well and recruits the top applicants very aggressively. Given that it's easier to manipulate LSAT and GPA numbers for smaller class sizes (Alabama has at least 50 fewer students per year), I believe that Alabama will continue to assemble stronger and stronger classes going forward.

Sorry, my question was more directed at your situation. You said if you received full tuition at both you would choose Alabama, I was wondering why. They are two of my most likely destinations and I am interested in any and all comparisons between them.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm

If both UGA and Bama are free then I think it's definitely a tough decision. I'll admit, I believe that most people would choose UGA, and I'm not entirely sure that I wouldn't either. What sways me towards Alabama is my belief that the school is getting better. The people at Alabama are nice and recruit the top students aggressively. (Also look at my reasons in my last post). Trucker D, a frequent TLS poster, has already committed to Alabama with a 174, 3.95. This is only one person but I think the trend could continue. Also, Bama has a JD MBA program that can be completed in 3 or 4 years with no previous WE required, which I am somewhat interested in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”