Living in Portland, ME (University of Maine School of Law)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
blackeyeddog

Living in Portland, ME (University of Maine School of Law)

Postby blackeyeddog » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am

I've read a couple of older threads regarding the quality of life in Portland, ME, but they all seem to be native Mainers. I've been admitted (via status checker 12/29) and although I'm still waiting on 15 more decisions, Maine is in my top 5. With that said, has anyone had the 'nonresident' experience at Maine? Specifically, what did/do you think of the location of the school? What is the social scene like for the 20-somethings? Bars are OK, but what about the music scene? Are there coffee shops where you can hear local artists?
Any [constructive] advice you have is greatly appreciated. :)
Last edited by blackeyeddog on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Re: Living in Portland, ME (University of Maine School of Law)

Postby KMaine » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey. I am one of those native Mainers you mentioned. I am bumping this thread. Hopefully somebody will be able to help. Portland is a really cool little city with good stuff to eat and see. You can get to Boston in 2 hours by car. I am from Kittery, 1/2 way between Porland and Boston. I can tell you this: you will get less snow in Portland than I have here in Ithaca. Good luck with everything.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm

It's interesting to see how many more people have applied to Maine this year (on TLS) versus last year. The power of the rankings!

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Yes I went to undergrad in the region, stayed another year living in portland.
It is awesome.

Music scene is great your not going to get hugeee named artists rolling through town buttttt bostons only a few hours away. Portcitymusic hall (google it) is one of the best mid/small sized venues I've ever been in. Portland has one of the best food scenes in the country - AMAZING food and the bar scene is a lot of fun tons of options from pubs, clubs to chiller local bars. GREAT city cant say enough good things about it

close to MNTS on the ocean.

Pretty growing art scene and cheap cost of living..

check yelp - great local coffee shops and amazing restaurants

also summer is to dieeee for
free music at LLB all summer long

blackeyeddog

Postby blackeyeddog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks for the information, guys! I really appreciate it. I'll be heading up that way this month to see for myself :)

rwallis

Postby rwallis » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:48 am

I didn't go to undergrad in ME but I live on the North Shore of Boston and have been to a handful of shows in Portland to see smaller bands that don't always make it to Boston. Portland has an excellent music/arts scene... the bars that I've been to there are divey, which I love, and you're really close to some great beaches. Also, winters in New England can be long, but the good thing about that is there's always something going on in the winter should you suffer from cabin fever (like me).

Good luck!!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:13 pm

I wonder, wouldn't U Conn be worth a look, since it is supposed to place very well in the New England region?

Might you have a few more options going there?

blackeyeddog

Postby blackeyeddog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm

You're not the first person to tell me that. I hadn't really considered Connecticut since I had ruled out Yale, but I'm definitely going to reconsider. I've applied to BU, BC, and Northeastern as well, but the MA cost of living is truly frightening when compared to Texas.

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

I also applied to Maine and got in, and it's verry high on my list, especially if they end up giving me money. Defenitely smaller than the larger cities im used to, but i loved Maine/Portland the time i went there. I actually talked to Maine student from out of state and he said he was warmly welcomed. OP, pm me for details.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 pm

blackeyeddog wrote:You're not the first person to tell me that. I hadn't really considered Connecticut since I had ruled out Yale, but I'm definitely going to reconsider. I've applied to BU, BC, and Northeastern as well, but the MA cost of living is truly frightening when compared to Texas.

It's my understanding (and please, anyone who has better information feel free to correct me) that Uconn is considered more of a "New England school" than a "Connecticut school".

If you want to work Biglaw in NYC, it's not your best option, but if you want other careers in the New England area, I'm given to understand it is an excellent choice, especially given the low in-state tuition one can qualify for after first year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”