penn state v mcgeorge v utah

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I go to?

Utah
58%
McGeorge (Pacific)
14%
Penn State
28%

Total votes: 57

king3780

Re: penn state v mcgeorge v utah

Postby king3780 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 pm

wardboro wrote:Utah residency can be had after you get 40 credits at the law school. If you take 10 credits your first summer (summer tuition rates are in-state rates for everyone) then you can get residency starting your second year. To have a good shot at admission esp. if you are white male, you should have at least a 162 with a 3.5+ GPA and at least a 160 with a 3.8+ GPA. If you bring any meaningful ethnic diversity (including ORM (Asian) diversity) your chances at admission increase greatly.

As far as being "completely fucked" if you fall out of the top 1/3 at McGeorge, I don't know enough about the school to make that statement, but from what I understand coming out of McGeorge (especially ITE) you didn't really have a shot at BigLaw in the first place regardless of your class rank. I would be very reluctant to pay full price for any private (or expensive state) school knowing that you'll probably be making around 45k coming out if you do well. As long as you manage your expectations and understand that 45k is likely where you'll be, then you'll be fine.

Also, wrt Boise State--they are not opening a law school, instead U of I will be moving half of their student body to Boise (so about 75 students in Boise, 75 students in Moscow) to a law campus there. I guess in the end the effect is about the same.

What's the deal with half of the students going to Boise? Where did you hear that and when would it happen?

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 am

superflush wrote:
usuaggie wrote:what is the "huh?" for? Me wanting to live in one of those three states?

Penn State has some pretty national employment numbers, considering the ranking of the school, but I wouldn't be too unhappy if I ended up living in PA anyway.

The huh was just an off-hand remark, mainly because I think that those states would be very different lifestyle choices.

Penn State is not a national school. What makes you think that it is?

CA and OR not exactly polar opposites, but CA/OR-UT I guess would be less similar in terms of lifestyles.

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 pm

king3780 wrote:What's the deal with half of the students going to Boise? Where did you hear that and when would it happen?

http://www.uidaho.edu/boise/collegeoflawinboise.aspx

king3780

Postby king3780 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 pm

wardboro wrote:
king3780 wrote:What's the deal with half of the students going to Boise? Where did you hear that and when would it happen?

http://www.uidaho.edu/boise/collegeoflawinboise.aspx

ty for the link

SoxyPirate

Postby SoxyPirate » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:20 am

OP,
If you're interested, Penn State has a pretty significant LDS presence at the law school. If I remember correctly, there are about 15 LDS students at UP. The Dean of Technology is LDS, as well as one of the IT staff. 2 Wards and a University Branch in State College.

PM me if you have other questions about that.

shillim

Postby shillim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 am

ejjones wrote:
superflush wrote:
usuaggie wrote:what is the "huh?" for? Me wanting to live in one of those three states?

Penn State has some pretty national employment numbers, considering the ranking of the school, but I wouldn't be too unhappy if I ended up living in PA anyway.

The huh was just an off-hand remark, mainly because I think that those states would be very different lifestyle choices.

Penn State is not a national school. What makes you think that it is?

CA and OR not exactly polar opposites, but CA/OR-UT I guess would be less similar in terms of lifestyles.

SLC isn't all that different from parts of CA especially at the U. As long as your lifestyle doesn't require easy access to booze...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”