big law at fordham?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yung

big law at fordham?

Postby yung » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Hey guys, I love NYC and would like to stay there. My grades and LSAT won't cut it for Columbia and NYU, but should be more than fine for Fordham, so I am wondering that if I am set to do big law in NYC(given that I make it) will Fordham be a decent place for it? Or should I go to some other lower end T14 or T20 out of NYC?

sarlis

Re: big law at fordham?

Postby sarlis » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:33 pm

oh Dr. OperaSoprano, Dr. OperaSoprano, your assistance is needed in this thread!!!! :)

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:34 pm

with ur numbers, you can probably even go mid-t14: uva/michigan/duke/northwestern/penn. penn in particular if you want to stay in the nyc "area" (philly is somewhat of a short ride away).

even fordham vs cornell, which is considered at the bottom of t14, posters usually recommend cornell if you can take living in a non-city environment.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:05 pm

ITE, stay with T14 if you can get in. OS will be able to go into more detail, but Fordham grads aren't doing as well in BigLaw as they used to due to the crunch. It doesn't help that they shut out a firm from OCS after the firm rescinded offers to Fordham summers.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:21 am

TipTravHoot wrote:Image

ITE, stay with T14 if you can get in. OS will be able to go into more detail, but Fordham grads aren't doing as well in BigLaw as they used to due to the crunch. It doesn't help that they shut out a firm from OCS after the firm rescinded offers to Fordham summers.

well isnt that the same for every other law school?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:42 am

Fordham still get's biglaw ITE? That's news to me.

**Runs and hides before OS gets here** :lol:

More seriously, I really don't know anything about Fordham specifically, but most schools outside of the t14 got hit really hard this year (with people in the top 10% at t25s not getting offers). Even t14s got hit pretty hard this year. I'd imagine Fordham did no better. However, the catch is that you would be looking to do a summer associateship in summer of 2012. I highly doubt things won't pick up by then, although, its really just a crapshoot as to what actually happens (i.e. how much of a recovery we see and what happens with biglaw in general). If biglaw is your only goal, obviously a better ranked school increases your odds... What's weird about the current 1L freakout is that my class (i.e. c/o 2011) had no idea how bad it would be this year. Most people expected things to stay the same as the previous year or get better (meaning that being median at a t14 would be just fine), and were pretty harshly awakened after last spring semester and at OCI. Based on what happened 1Ls are freaking out about it, but in all reality there's a good possibility that hiring is a TON better next year and that we obviously should have been the class freaking out (and probably not c/o 2012, and very likely not c/o 2013).

Postby 06072010 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:55 am

That pictures is the fucking best. Who originally made it? LOL.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Fordham still get's biglaw ITE? That's news to me.

**Runs and hides before OS gets here** :lol:

More seriously, I really don't know anything about Fordham specifically, but most schools outside of the t14 got hit really hard this year (with people in the top 10% at t25s not getting offers). Even t14s got hit pretty hard this year. I'd imagine Fordham did no better. However, the catch is that you would be looking to do a summer associateship in summer of 2012. I highly doubt things won't pick up by then, although, its really just a crapshoot as to what actually happens (i.e. how much of a recovery we see and what happens with biglaw in general). If biglaw is your only goal, obviously a better ranked school increases your odds... What's weird about the current 1L freakout is that my class (i.e. c/o 2011) had no idea how bad it would be this year. Most people expected things to stay the same as the previous year or get better (meaning that being median at a t14 would be just fine), and were pretty harshly awakened after last spring semester and at OCI. Based on what happened 1Ls are freaking out about it, but in all reality there's a good possibility that hiring is a TON better next year and that we obviously should have been the class freaking out (and probably not c/o 2012, and very likely not c/o 2013).

Hi SpyKE. Sorry I'm late to this thread. I ditched my partying duties, as I have tons of work to do tonight. Anyway, people are still getting biglaw at Fordham. Even the class of 2011. Not as many as before, obviously, but we continue to do better than most other similarly ranked schools. I do not have exact numbers. No one outside our CSO has them, though I would dearly like to get them in order to dispel some of the gloom. Rumors put c/o 2011 placement this year at 15 to 25%. I'm inclined to think it's less than a quarter, but I don't know by how much. In comparison, it was 43.7% for the class of 2008. There may be individuals even in the top 10% who interviewed badly and didn't get anything. I'm told this happened to the #2 person at Cornell. It's a scary prospect, but not necessarily indicative of how similarly ranked students did.

CW holds that the T14 is best for biglaw, and that's still true. For NYC biglaw, we calculated that Fordham will about tie with Vandy as the next best thing.

I have no idea who made the graphic, but it is funny. It would be better with a lolcat, though. :wink:

NOTE: I'm not fond of estimations or speculation, and I do want you to know that this is all we can do at this point. I will post more recent numbers as soon as I can get them.

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:29 am

That looks EXACTLY like my dog. I thought that was actually a picture of her at first glance. Weird.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:30 am

yung wrote:Hey guys, I love NYC and would like to stay there. My grades and LSAT won't cut it for Columbia and NYU, but should be more than fine for Fordham, so I am wondering that if I am set to do big law in NYC(given that I make it) will Fordham be a decent place for it? Or should I go to some other lower end T14 or T20 out of NYC?

Big law outside HYS is a fantasy. HTH.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:45 am

rayiner wrote:
yung wrote:Hey guys, I love NYC and would like to stay there. My grades and LSAT won't cut it for Columbia and NYU, but should be more than fine for Fordham, so I am wondering that if I am set to do big law in NYC(given that I make it) will Fordham be a decent place for it? Or should I go to some other lower end T14 or T20 out of NYC?

Oh, Ray. I just thought of you. <3

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
rayiner wrote:

<3 you too. ;)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:52 am

rayiner wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
rayiner wrote:

<3 you too. ;)

:mrgreen: , though I hope you are out partying somewhere right now. I'm working on my cover letters, though we have people over. I am way antisocial tonight. :lol:

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:05 am

g o drink hafe fun

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:07 am

hafe alllof of fun!

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:53 pm

PKSebben wrote:

That pictures is the fucking best. Who originally made it? LOL.

I made it originally on a day when there were like five new Fordham threads in an hour.

yung

Postby yung » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”