Kent vs. DePaul vs. Loyola

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Re: Kent vs. DePaul vs. Loyola

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:31 am

Halibut6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:It would be better to attend a higher-ranked school like Iowa and Illinois. Clinics can't make up for a steep drop in ranking.

Most people who are seriously considering these three don't have the numbers for T30's. I don't think anyone here is kidding themselves into thinking that Kent, Loyola or DePaul are better schools than the U of Illinois.

I was responding to the posts preceding mine. Forgot to use the quote.

xiolablue

Postby xiolablue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:34 pm

These are my prospects also. I am not looking at Biglaw but I don't want to be in Chicago forever so I am trying to figure out what might be the most portable of three relatively un-portable degrees. I know a higher ranked school would be the way to go in this situation but I cannot relocate right now and my numbers aren't high enough for northwestern/u of c.
I did think Kent and Loyola's facilities were more impressive but Depaul and Kent both have LRAP programs and Loyola does not. Depaul would be out of the running if it weren't for its clinics and study abroad programs and the fact that I see DePaul grads in PI positions outside of Chicago.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:It would be better to attend a higher-ranked school like Iowa and Illinois. Clinics can't make up for a steep drop in ranking.

Most people who are seriously considering these three don't have the numbers for T30's. I don't think anyone here is kidding themselves into thinking that Kent, Loyola or DePaul are better schools than the U of Illinois.

Location may be a trumping factor. I didn't apply to U of I because I find the city more appealing than cornfields.

algren

Postby algren » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 am

Thought it was interesting to see these numbers on Biglaw placement from Law Schools. Loyola made the list:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

administrator

Postby administrator » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 pm

jdwantedforhire wrote:I'm applying to all three too and I am choosing Kent because I want to go into IP law. Loyola is known for medical and DePaul is more business oriented. Kent is by Union station, DePaul in Lincoln Park, and Loyola on gold coast.

I would say it all depends on what you want to go into at this point. All three are relatively similar, even though Kent is ranked higher. I like Kent's location, plus technology is awesome. Easy choice for me.

Do not choose Kent because it is higher ranked. That is pointless. Visit all three, talk to people, and whichever school you like most, chose it. If its Kent, then go. But choosing just based on ranks is not always the best idea.

I chose Kent over Loyola despite an interest in medical/health law. I actually preferred Kent's curriculum and program in health law over Loyola's. Kent has a lot of institutes and centers for health law research such as:

The Institute for Science, Law and Technology: http://www.kentlaw.edu/islat/
The Institute on Biotechnology and The Human Future: http://www.thehumanfuture.org/
IIT Center for Diabetes Research and Policy: http://www.iitdiabetes.org/

The issues in health law that these centers focus on are more interesting to me than the focus of Loyola's health law program, and Kent is also stronger in health patent and intellectual property issues as well as medical ethics law. I also personally feel Kent's affiliation with IIT is a benefit with regards to any science-related law, including health law, which is something Loyola cannot match.

bass08

Postby bass08 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 pm

I'm curious about this as well. I didn't apply to Loyola for whatever reason, but I've been accepted to DePaul and Kent (DePaul FT with $15k/year and Kent PT with $10k/year).

So far from my research it seems Kent would be the right decision if I were to choose one of these. I still have some other good options out there and am waiting to hear back from a lot of schools. I'm going to visit them both at the end of the month, though, so I think that well help me get a good feel for each school.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 pm

algren wrote:Thought it was interesting to see these numbers on Biglaw placement from Law Schools. Loyola made the list:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Kent is on there as well at #50. They also have competitive numbers regarding clerkships. (total of 16 to Loyola's 2)

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Halibut6 wrote:

Some have Top 30 numbers, just not the top 30 numbers that get you $$$. I would take Kent w/ $ over IU-B or even Iowa with no $. For my personal situation (having SO pay significant CoL share - more than 50%) I would even consider Kent w/ $ over UIUC w/o $.

jelly

Postby jelly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:

Some have Top 30 numbers, just not the top 30 numbers that get you $$$. I would take Kent w/ $ over IU-B or even Iowa with no $. For my personal situation (having SO pay significant CoL share - more than 50%) I would even consider Kent w/ $ over UIUC w/o $.

Quite a few Kent students have Top 30 numbers. Some of the more common reasons they chose Kent are the scholarship money, the fact that they wanted to stay in Chicago for law school, or an interest in IP/science or another particular program/curriculum strength (ex. environmental law, labor/employment law, etc.) at the school.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKE111

Postby MKE111 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm

charlesjd wrote:KenTTT, DePaul = no.

Chose Loyola.

Take this dude's opinion with a grain of salt:

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 am
LOLZ @ Chicago-Kent. Haven't heard from them yeTTT.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm
Honestly, I would chose DePaul over Loyola.

Also, DePaul is climbing rankings and Loyola is falling.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:21 pm

MKE111 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:KenTTT, DePaul = no.

Chose Loyola.

Take this dude's opinion with a grain of salt:

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 am
LOLZ @ Chicago-Kent. Haven't heard from them yeTTT.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm
Honestly, I would chose DePaul over Loyola.

Also, DePaul is climbing rankings and Loyola is falling.

lol, way to expose a kent hater. you might have a future in investigative journalism.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:56 pm

outside of a significant scholarship or parents paying for law school, i don't think that any of these schools are worth attending, period.

jd-

Postby jd- » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Will also be applying to all 3 of these... and I feel the same way as the other poster ...

"Location may be a trumping factor. I didn't apply to U of I because I find the city more appealing than cornfields."

I don't think I could handle 3 years in Urbana... (I am 29 though and would require me to bring my gf along too into the weak champaign/urbana job market, so..yeah...probably not happening)

chadwick218 wrote:outside of a significant scholarship or parents paying for law school, i don't think that any of these schools are worth attending, period.

contemplating being stuck in my field any longer is almost worth any risk

shmantieantie

Postby shmantieantie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 am

Which school between the 3 does everyone think has the best program for someone wanting to get into Corporate Law?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”