Anyone else interested in practicing in Nevada?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UnderwearModel

Anyone else interested in practicing in Nevada?

Postby UnderwearModel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Does anyone know about the reputation of U Nevada-LV within the state of Nevada? I know it is a new school, but it seems like it is the only school in the state and Nevada interests me because of no income tax and it is rapidly gaining population

ainzabo7

Re: Anyone else interested in practicing in Nevada?

Postby ainzabo7 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Have you looked at Texas? No state income tax, exponentially more opportunities and it's gaining greater population than Nevada. Stable affordable housing and home of the energy industry (big oil) means TX is essentially recession proof. Have you been to NV? I'm in Las Vegas every three months and I could not imagine living there full time. It is one of the foreclosure capitals of the U.S. and has to have the seediest residents of any big U.S. city.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:41 pm

ainzabo7 wrote:Have you looked at Texas? No state income tax, exponentially more opportunities and it's gaining greater population than Nevada. Stable affordable housing and home of the energy industry (big oil) means TX is essentially recession proof. Have you been to NV? I'm in Las Vegas every three months and I could not imagine living there full time. It is one of the foreclosure capitals of the U.S. and has to have the seediest residents of any big U.S. city.

Yes, but it has legalized prostitution.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:41 am

ainzabo7 wrote:Have you looked at Texas? No state income tax, exponentially more opportunities and it's gaining greater population than Nevada. Stable affordable housing and home of the energy industry (big oil) means TX is essentially recession proof. Have you been to NV? I'm in Las Vegas every three months and I could not imagine living there full time. It is one of the foreclosure capitals of the U.S. and has to have the seediest residents of any big U.S. city.

I live here in Las Vegas, have for the past 2.5 years. Is there a huge foreclosure market? yes, this area was the largest population increase during the housing boom. what's that mean? well, you can get stuff cheap. example: my sister purchased her house (4 years old) in june for $230,000. It's 3900 sq. ft, 5 bed/ 3 bath and a 3 car garage

as for the seedy residents, i challenge you to go explore any downtown area in a major metropolitan city and not find seedy residents. the problem with some is that they don't realize there's a world that exists off the strip. case in point, i visit the strip about 1 time per month, usually for food or a show. i also live 15 miles away, out near Aliante Station. Tons of very nice communities exist on the north and west side of town, away from the seediness.

Just my personal experience of living here, hope it helps

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:59 am

bluejayk wrote:

:lol:
And what other state has slot machines in its grocery stores? You can't beat that.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:15 am

Where are you planning on practicing? I'm from Reno and can answer lots of your questions if you're interested in practicing in northern Nevada.

UnderwearModel

Postby UnderwearModel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:44 am

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:Where are you planning on practicing? I'm from Reno and can answer lots of your questions if you're interested in practicing in northern Nevada.

Either the Reno/Carson City/ Lake Tahoe area or the Las Vegas Metro area interests me

UnderwearModel

Postby UnderwearModel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:45 am

I am thinking UNLV would be a good option

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:48 am

UnderwearModel wrote:Does anyone know about the reputation of U Nevada-LV within the state of Nevada? I know it is a new school, but it seems like it is the only school in the state and Nevada interests me because of no income tax and it is rapidly gaining population

and male prostitutes are now legal.

DannyJames

Postby DannyJames » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:24 pm

UnderwearModel wrote:I am thinking UNLV would be a good option

it's the only option in Nevada. I will say this. i work less than a mile from UNLV's campus, and the law school is quite impressive. obviously being a newer school, the facilities are quite modern. The staff was very up front on the tour (hosted by one of the adcomms). since there are so many seedy residents around here, you will have plenty of work after graduation :mrgreen:

justcap

Postby justcap » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:33 pm

So I'm interested in Las Vegas, and was wondering what schools people come from that work there? I'm sure there are from UNLV, but is that a majority? Or do most come from CA schools? Does U of Arizona or BYU/Utah place well there? Any other schools?

flexer

Postby flexer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:02 pm

I know I'm reviving an old thread here. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on the Vegas legal market. How hard it would be to land a job at any of the bigger Vegas firms without any connections to the area with a T14/T20 degree?? Should one rather go to UNLV, AU, ASU and the like if she were 100% set on working at one of those firms?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Bump, i would also like more info on N. Nevada

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:20 am

bump

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 am

Im born and raised in Las Vegas and from what I have heard from attorney's you will do pretty good coming from a top school because not that may graduates of top 25 schools flock to practice in Nevada. That being said, a hiring attorney told me I would be good if I go away to a better school versus staying home and going to UNLV because of all my connections. She informed me that it would take a while for me to get in the loop though since a lot of the young attorneys went to UNLV. That being said UNLV is not old enough to have a substantial amount of older alumni, so while not having connections could hurt I think it will be marginal in comparison to attending at top school. Both of the attorneys I spoke with did not attend UNLV, they went to North Western and BU.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 am

If I where to go to anywhere outside Ohio/Indiana, I'd have no connections. That said, would I be better off at UNLV or a higher ranked T1?

Quine

Postby Quine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:09 am

For those who have never been to Nevada, Henderson south of the 215 is where it's at. Henderson is a nice suburban area with plenty to do, clean streets, and good schools. It's only 10-20 minutes from the middle of the strip, and the whole valley is only about 1 hour in diameter without traffic (though substantially spread-out). The same can generally be said of the Summerlin area, including the distance, though it has more overlap with North Las Vegas, which is really the only shady area (i.e. MLKJ BLVD), and an area that no one should really have any reason to ever go. The Las Vegas area is great because there are tons of people, something is always open, there's world-class dining/entertainment/shopping, and things are pretty cheap compared to LA/Chicago/New York. Also, the weather is dry and warm year around (i.e. you can wear a t-shirt pretty much all year and you don't have to worry about rust in your car or mold in your house).

Reno is a bit different than vegas, and is much more outdoorsy. Lake Tahoe is a 50 minute drive or so, but well worth it and home to great skiing/boarding half the year. Reno gets more seasonal (and erratic) but is similarly arid (and similarly perpetually sunny). Reno has a significantly smaller population, but offers most all of the amenities of a larger city. Reno's biggest problem is probably that it's downtown is like a tacky miniature of Las Vegas's.

Both are pretty great places to live, though I gravitate toward vegas for the size and the climate.

Quine

Postby Quine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 am

As anyone who has actually lived in the Las Vegas valley is aware, there's no need to live in downtown Las Vegas. It's like many major western cities in that it is spread out and the downtown area is typically in decline. Everyone with any money at all lives in the suburbs, and many if not most legal practices are located in the suburbs as well. It's like LA in that your middle class isn't typically living in the shady areas (i.e. Compton), but different insofar as most legal practices will be found in office parks, rather than sky-scrapers (I can't imagine too many offices are located inside the hotels, which are the only buildings in town over 15 stories), and you won't typically be commuting to the shady area to work.

hooty86

Postby hooty86 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:52 am

-
Last edited by hooty86 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Can you tell me how insulated the market there is? I really want to make it out west after LS but like I said, no connections out there

Devin the Dude

Postby Devin the Dude » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm

A buddy of mine plays poker out there full-time. I've gone out there a few times, and once I met an older lawyer dude who went to Pacific. It seems like a lot of the lawyers out there went to either Pacific or BYU, maybe? Who knows. I think I'd get bored of Vegas real fast.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:38 pm

bluejayk wrote:

Nevada does but Vegas doesn't.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:07 am

Bunny Ranch! I wouldn't mind doing some work in Vegas. I probably wouldn't go to UNLV though. I'd try to go to a school in a near by state, AZ, Cali, Colorado, Utah then work my way toward Vegas if I still wanted to be there.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Generic20101L wrote:
bluejayk wrote:

Nevada does but Vegas doesn't.

Right outside of Vegas does.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm too prone to gambling addiction to live there, lol.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”