BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bchereicome
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby bchereicome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:53 pm

imisscollege wrote:haha TLS. BC does have two senators now....

But ya at the moment I'm facing sticker at both and have a tough decision to make



Ha, that's kinda how I was a year ago. I thought what TLS users said was golden. That's why I thought that BC was stronger in BU in Boston, and that's why I chose BC. But the stats say otherwise, so it makes me kinda wonder who started this whole BC is better than BU thing.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby tram988 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:59 pm

bchereicome wrote:
imisscollege wrote:haha TLS. BC does have two senators now....

But ya at the moment I'm facing sticker at both and have a tough decision to make



Ha, that's kinda how I was a year ago. I thought what TLS users said was golden. That's why I thought that BC was stronger in BU in Boston, and that's why I chose BC. But the stats say otherwise, so it makes me kinda wonder who started this whole BC is better than BU thing.

The stats are almost identical. In fact, check the NLJ250 charts and you will see BC was ahead of BU in 2005 and 2008.

There is almost no discernible difference between the schools in Boston. BC, most say, has more "lay prestige" in Boston, probably due to its undergrad and sports(#34 compared to BU #56 nationally).

Simple as that. BU is not better than BC in Boston. They are equal. BU may(and I think does) have a more national reputation though.


2005: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf

2008: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2428438260

"Making big jumps this year in their positions among the top 20 go-to schools were Boston College Law School, ranked No. 15 this year and No. 20 last year, and the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, which was No. 6 this year compared with No. 11 last year. Boston College Law School sent 45.8% of its 2008 graduates to NLJ 250 firms, compared with 36.8% of its 2007 graduates. Some 62.6% of U.C. Berkeley's 2008 graduates took jobs at NLJ 250 firms, compared with 53.7% of its 2007 graduates."

I know the stats are not applicable to either BU or BC in this economy but my point is to show what placement was like during the boom.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby imisscollege » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:19 pm

bchereicome wrote:
imisscollege wrote:haha TLS. BC does have two senators now....

But ya at the moment I'm facing sticker at both and have a tough decision to make



Ha, that's kinda how I was a year ago. I thought what TLS users said was golden. That's why I thought that BC was stronger in BU in Boston, and that's why I chose BC. But the stats say otherwise, so it makes me kinda wonder who started this whole BC is better than BU thing.



Can you give me specific examples either from stats or from your own experience indicating that BC is decisively NOT better than BU?

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:30 pm

If you want to work out of New England, you shouldn't be going to either. The schools are the same in Boston.
/thread

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:41 pm

tram988 wrote:
imisscollege wrote:
I have heard that BC's prestige is as high if not higher than BU's out of state, and that the only reason alumni are placed in other places is self-selection.


This is something I'm not very familiar with..anyone?


Not true at all. Good try though.

User avatar
sirchristaylor
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm not from Boston and don't want to end up in Boston for very long after law school (unless I fall in love with it). For whatever any of this is worth:

Placement: What I've heard from people in NYC is that BC places as well as BU in NYC.

Lay Prestige: What I've heard from people around the country that don't know much about law schools is that they do know that BC is a great law school. They don't know anything about BU.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:28 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:I'm not from Boston and don't want to end up in Boston for very long after law school (unless I fall in love with it). For whatever any of this is worth:

Placement: What I've heard from people in NYC is that BC places as well as BU in NYC.

Lay Prestige: What I've heard from people around the country that don't know much about law schools is that they do know that BC is a great law school. They don't know anything about BU.


What you heard from laypeople doesn't matter. Most people think UPenn is a state school. Anyway, placement numbers speak for themselves. The schools have very similar prospects, with BU placing more nationally for whatever reason. Self selection, I dunno. Who cares.

User avatar
sirchristaylor
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:I'm not from Boston and don't want to end up in Boston for very long after law school (unless I fall in love with it). For whatever any of this is worth:

Placement: What I've heard from people in NYC is that BC places as well as BU in NYC.

Lay Prestige: What I've heard from people around the country that don't know much about law schools is that they do know that BC is a great law school. They don't know anything about BU.


What you heard from laypeople doesn't matter. Most people think UPenn is a state school. Anyway, placement numbers speak for themselves. The schools have very similar prospects, with BU placing more nationally for whatever reason. Self selection, I dunno. Who cares.


Blindmelon, you needn't always be on the defensive just because many people don't love BU as much you do. :D I would argue that what I heard from lay people does matter. But that's just me. Obviously you disagree, so no need to restate your opinion after I post this message.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby tram988 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Now now settle down guys! Everything that needed to be said was said. This thread was over pages ago. / Thread :)

bchereicome
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby bchereicome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

First of all, there is the complex that BC students seem to have. BU seems to have an inferiority complex about Harvard. BC seems to have an inferiority complex about BU. It's been a bit of a turn off. I doubt BU has the same issue as BC. It seems like BC students tend to keep saying "like 10 years ago, BU sucked, and BC ruled." Well, hey, that's not what is important now is it?

I also feel as though BC doesn't work as hard getting people out of Boston. BU seems to have a very geographically diverse student body, so some of my friends at BU have more options than we have over here. BC doesn't seem to have the drive that the BU office does.

Also, the location kind of blows. yes, everyone will tell you that "it's near Boston, it's only a 15 minute T ride." yes, that's true. But if you count all the time it takes to get from the law school into downtown, it takes about an hour to get into the city if you count the waits on the T. The green line seems to have a stop every 5 seconds. I take a shuttle from the law school to BC, which takes a good 10 to 15 minutes, and then you have to ride the green line for a while into the city. It takes much longer than you would think. Any person telling you it doesn't is just being a defensive BC student.

Third, I was a prestige-whore. I'll admit it. And all this talk about "lay-prestige" in Boston really appealed to me, because TLS members would tell me how BU wasn't prestigious, but BC was. First of all, even if BC had lay-prestige (which arguably, it has no or little more than BU)...it matters zilcho. Second of all, I would venture to say that BU has the more prestige.

Finally, I do love BC. I like the campus much better than BU's. However, I wish I would I have spent less time on TLS listening to the people from BC boost it up and put down BU (it seems like BC has more people on TLS than BU), and that way I would have made a better choice (yes, I'm stupid, who listens to people on TLS).

One thing to remember, just because people say something on TLS, doesn't mean it's true. Often times they are just making it up, or thay have heard it from another TLS poster who made it up or heard it from someone else on TLS. Especially BC kids for some reason.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby tram988 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 pm

bchereicome wrote:First of all, there is the complex that BC students seem to have. BU seems to have an inferiority complex about Harvard. BC seems to have an inferiority complex about BU. It's been a bit of a turn off. I doubt BU has the same issue as BC. It seems like BC students tend to keep saying "like 10 years ago, BU sucked, and BC ruled." Well, hey, that's not what is important now is it?

I also feel as though BC doesn't work as hard getting people out of Boston. BU seems to have a very geographically diverse student body, so some of my friends at BU have more options than we have over here. BC doesn't seem to have the drive that the BU office does.

Also, the location kind of blows. yes, everyone will tell you that "it's near Boston, it's only a 15 minute T ride." yes, that's true. But if you count all the time it takes to get from the law school into downtown, it takes about an hour to get into the city if you count the waits on the T. The green line seems to have a stop every 5 seconds. I take a shuttle from the law school to BC, which takes a good 10 to 15 minutes, and then you have to ride the green line for a while into the city. It takes much longer than you would think. Any person telling you it doesn't is just being a defensive BC student.

Third, I was a prestige-whore. I'll admit it. And all this talk about "lay-prestige" in Boston really appealed to me, because TLS members would tell me how BU wasn't prestigious, but BC was. First of all, even if BC had lay-prestige (which arguably, it has no or little more than BU)...it matters zilcho. Second of all, I would venture to say that BU has the more prestige.

Finally, I do love BC. I like the campus much better than BU's. However, I wish I would I have spent less time on TLS listening to the people from BC boost it up and put down BU (it seems like BC has more people on TLS than BU), and that way I would have made a better choice (yes, I'm stupid, who listens to people on TLS).

One thing to remember, just because people say something on TLS, doesn't mean it's true. Often times they are just making it up, or thay have heard it from another TLS poster who made it up or heard it from someone else on TLS. Especially BC kids for some reason.


You have absolutely no evidence to back up half the claims you are making. Almost everyone, who actually has lived in Boston, even if they attend BU Law, has conceded that BC has more lay prestige in Boston. This is not to say that BC is in actuality more prestigious, but it is what it is.

I agree that BU is more geographically diverse, at least from what I have gathered on this website.

Furthermore, while BC doesn't have the best location, neither does BU. BC has much better facilities and not that god-awful tower of terror in Allston. Most people live in the Allston/Brighton area (BU) while the attend BC anyway.

Also, There seems to be a fairly even amount of BC to BU prospective and current students on this site.

If you will look above, I have actually provided figures displaying BC's BLJ250 placement during 2005 and 2008 (the legal boom) and BC has, although marginally, placed better.

bchereicome
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby bchereicome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:09 pm

You have absolutely no evidence to back up half the claims you are making. Almost everyone, who actually has lived in Boston, even if they attend BU Law, has conceded that BC has more lay prestige in Boston. This is not to say that BC is in actuality more prestigious, but it is what it is.

I agree that BU is more geographically diverse.

Furthermore, while BC doesn't have the best location, neither does BU. BC has much better facilities and not that god-awful tower of terror. There seems to be a fairly even amount of BC to BU prospective and current students.[/quote]

I'm sorry, you're right. Wait, are you a BC or BU law alumni? Oh you must be a 3L at BC or BU law? But wait, you have to be at least a current BC or BU 1L? Are you even a current law student? Oh wait, you're not......you sure do have a lot to say for someone who isn't even in the game yet.

Honey, just because you believe something, doesn't necessarily make it true. Where are you getting your "evidence" that backs up your claims? It must be TLS.....

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Sounds like hes a BC student - probably knows a little more about it than a 1L. I'm not saying hes right, but TLS does tend to engage in a lot of group think. 1 thing is repeated a ton of times and people go along with it. Neither school will open or close doors the other would. Therefore, theres no reason to fight about it.

sirchristaylor wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:I'm not from Boston and don't want to end up in Boston for very long after law school (unless I fall in love with it). For whatever any of this is worth:

Placement: What I've heard from people in NYC is that BC places as well as BU in NYC.

Lay Prestige: What I've heard from people around the country that don't know much about law schools is that they do know that BC is a great law school. They don't know anything about BU.


What you heard from laypeople doesn't matter. Most people think UPenn is a state school. Anyway, placement numbers speak for themselves. The schools have very similar prospects, with BU placing more nationally for whatever reason. Self selection, I dunno. Who cares.


Blindmelon, you needn't always be on the defensive just because many people don't love BU as much you do. :D I would argue that what I heard from lay people does matter. But that's just me. Obviously you disagree, so no need to restate your opinion after I post this message.


I'm not being defensive. If you read my post, its clear that I don't care. You can tell by the last sentence which says, "who cares." Clearly you do, so I don't think I'm being the defensive one. This thread needs to die. Its annoying. Conclusion, both good schools - go to the one you want /thread.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby tram988 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 pm

bchereicome wrote:You have absolutely no evidence to back up half the claims you are making. Almost everyone, who actually has lived in Boston, even if they attend BU Law, has conceded that BC has more lay prestige in Boston. This is not to say that BC is in actuality more prestigious, but it is what it is.



I'm sorry, you're right. Wait, are you a BC or BU law alumni? Oh you must be a 3L at BC or BU law? But wait, you have to be at least a current BC or BU 1L? Are you even a current law student? Oh wait, you're not......you sure do have a lot to say for someone who isn't even in the game yet.

Honey, just because you believe something, doesn't necessarily make it true. Where are you getting your "evidence" that backs up your claims? It must be TLS.....


Just because I'm not in the game yet doesn't mean that I'm incapable of forming an educated position. I have spoken with BC law current students and BU law current students. I have examined actual data as well. You are clearly an anti-BC troll who needs to relax and stop attacking this school. At least Blindmelon had class and was objective-- knowing both BC's strengths/weakness as well as BU's. Please don't call me honey-- +1 for the power play though :P

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby kams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm

tram988 wrote:
bchereicome wrote:You have absolutely no evidence to back up half the claims you are making. Almost everyone, who actually has lived in Boston, even if they attend BU Law, has conceded that BC has more lay prestige in Boston. This is not to say that BC is in actuality more prestigious, but it is what it is.



I'm sorry, you're right. Wait, are you a BC or BU law alumni? Oh you must be a 3L at BC or BU law? But wait, you have to be at least a current BC or BU 1L? Are you even a current law student? Oh wait, you're not......you sure do have a lot to say for someone who isn't even in the game yet.

Honey, just because you believe something, doesn't necessarily make it true. Where are you getting your "evidence" that backs up your claims? It must be TLS.....


Just because I'm not in the game yet doesn't mean that I'm incapable of forming an educated position. I have spoken with BC law current students and BU law current students. I have examined actual data as well. You are clearly an anti-BC troll who needs to relax and stop attacking this school. At least Blindmelon had class and was objective-- knowing both BC's strengths/weakness as well as BU's. Please don't call me honey-- +1 for the power play though :P


Dude, relax.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby tram988 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 pm

kams wrote:
tram988 wrote:
bchereicome wrote:You have absolutely no evidence to back up half the claims you are making. Almost everyone, who actually has lived in Boston, even if they attend BU Law, has conceded that BC has more lay prestige in Boston. This is not to say that BC is in actuality more prestigious, but it is what it is.



I'm sorry, you're right. Wait, are you a BC or BU law alumni? Oh you must be a 3L at BC or BU law? But wait, you have to be at least a current BC or BU 1L? Are you even a current law student? Oh wait, you're not......you sure do have a lot to say for someone who isn't even in the game yet.

Honey, just because you believe something, doesn't necessarily make it true. Where are you getting your "evidence" that backs up your claims? It must be TLS.....


Just because I'm not in the game yet doesn't mean that I'm incapable of forming an educated position. I have spoken with BC law current students and BU law current students. I have examined actual data as well. You are clearly an anti-BC troll who needs to relax and stop attacking this school. At least Blindmelon had class and was objective-- knowing both BC's strengths/weakness as well as BU's. Please don't call me honey-- +1 for the power play though :P


Dude, relax.


I'm relaxed.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

/thread.. please?

User avatar
sirchristaylor
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Sounds like hes a BC student - probably knows a little more about it than a 1L. I'm not saying hes right, but TLS does tend to engage in a lot of group think. 1 thing is repeated a ton of times and people go along with it. Neither school will open or close doors the other would. Therefore, theres no reason to fight about it.

sirchristaylor wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:I'm not from Boston and don't want to end up in Boston for very long after law school (unless I fall in love with it). For whatever any of this is worth:

Placement: What I've heard from people in NYC is that BC places as well as BU in NYC.

Lay Prestige: What I've heard from people around the country that don't know much about law schools is that they do know that BC is a great law school. They don't know anything about BU.


What you heard from laypeople doesn't matter. Most people think UPenn is a state school. Anyway, placement numbers speak for themselves. The schools have very similar prospects, with BU placing more nationally for whatever reason. Self selection, I dunno. Who cares.


Blindmelon, you needn't always be on the defensive just because many people don't love BU as much you do. :D I would argue that what I heard from lay people does matter. But that's just me. Obviously you disagree, so no need to restate your opinion after I post this message.


I'm not being defensive. If you read my post, its clear that I don't care. You can tell by the last sentence which says, "who cares." Clearly you do, so I don't think I'm being the defensive one. This thread needs to die. Its annoying. Conclusion, both good schools - go to the one you want /thread.


Oh boy, was it clear! :wink: Thanks for playing!

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby kams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:23 pm

NO! THIS THREAD ENDS WHEN I SAY IT ENDS!!!

just kidding, I concur.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby imisscollege » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 am

I am still waiting for some anecdotal evidence that BU has more prestige than BC outside of Boston...something other than some sort of placement which could easily be self-selection because BU gets more people to come in from outside of Boston also so it is only logical that many of them would leave too.

Like some story about some guy who was summering at some firm and partners were talking about how BU was better than BC or something...I know this is a long shot but I feel like it's these kinds of stories that are windows into what people actually think.


What about BU vs BC for Boston DA's office? BC I assume, right?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 am

imisscollege wrote:I am still waiting for some anecdotal evidence that BU has more prestige than BC outside of Boston...something other than some sort of placement which could easily be self-selection because BU gets more people to come in from outside of Boston also so it is only logical that many of them would leave too.

Like some story about some guy who was summering at some firm and partners were talking about how BU was better than BC or something...I know this is a long shot but I feel like it's these kinds of stories that are windows into what people actually think.


What about BU vs BC for Boston DA's office? BC I assume, right?


I was talking with a Maine Judge the other day who is a graduate of BU, when he went, he says there was no comparrison, but that now, he is seeing an increasing number of attorney's and fellow Judges from Boston University. ....Thats the entire quote more or less, sorry I don't have more to offer.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 am

Cupidity wrote:
imisscollege wrote:I am still waiting for some anecdotal evidence that BU has more prestige than BC outside of Boston...something other than some sort of placement which could easily be self-selection because BU gets more people to come in from outside of Boston also so it is only logical that many of them would leave too.

Like some story about some guy who was summering at some firm and partners were talking about how BU was better than BC or something...I know this is a long shot but I feel like it's these kinds of stories that are windows into what people actually think.


What about BU vs BC for Boston DA's office? BC I assume, right?


I was talking with a Maine Judge the other day who is a graduate of BU, when he went, he says there was no comparrison, but that now, he is seeing an increasing number of attorney's and fellow Judges from Boston University. ....Thats the entire quote more or less, sorry I don't have more to offer.


Well, I think actual numbers are better than anecdotal evidence, as Leiter says in his study of the most "elite" law firms and placement that, "One thing the results indicate is how little impact U.S. News rankings are having on where the firms choose to hire. That is clearest when schools share a regional market. Boston College was, for quite some time, ranked ahead of Boston University in U.S. News, but it is quite clear that BU dominates BC at the best firms in the Northeast corridor". I don't think it gets any clearer than that, as Leiter is unbiased towards Boston schools and generally accepted as a better authority on law schools than US News.

Leiter, in 2005 (BU has been becoming more and more prestigious as the years go by, so this is probably different now), ranked BU ahead of BC for national placement.

Also, prestige-wise, as of 2006, Leiter has BU as tied for #14 in where current law faculty went to school - #18 overall. BC is not in the top 20.

More national placement + more elite firms in the Northeast hiring BU law grads = BU win. Sorry BC guys.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:29 am

Okay... so are people now ready to give up the BC is more prestigious urban myth?

I think some of the BU resentment comes from people getting into BC and not BU. It sucks, but it doesn't mean BU is worse. In fact, I'm sick of this thread, BU is a better school. Get over it. Good luck trying to find something other than "some lawyer told me so!" as evidence to prove your point. I bet I could find some lawyer who thinks GW is better than Gtown. It doesn't mean its true.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby tram988 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
imisscollege wrote:I am still waiting for some anecdotal evidence that BU has more prestige than BC outside of Boston...something other than some sort of placement which could easily be self-selection because BU gets more people to come in from outside of Boston also so it is only logical that many of them would leave too.

Like some story about some guy who was summering at some firm and partners were talking about how BU was better than BC or something...I know this is a long shot but I feel like it's these kinds of stories that are windows into what people actually think.


What about BU vs BC for Boston DA's office? BC I assume, right?


I was talking with a Maine Judge the other day who is a graduate of BU, when he went, he says there was no comparrison, but that now, he is seeing an increasing number of attorney's and fellow Judges from Boston University. ....Thats the entire quote more or less, sorry I don't have more to offer.


Well, I think actual numbers are better than anecdotal evidence, as Leiter says in his study of the most "elite" law firms and placement that, "One thing the results indicate is how little impact U.S. News rankings are having on where the firms choose to hire. That is clearest when schools share a regional market. Boston College was, for quite some time, ranked ahead of Boston University in U.S. News, but it is quite clear that BU dominates BC at the best firms in the Northeast corridor". I don't think it gets any clearer than that, as Leiter is unbiased towards Boston schools and generally accepted as a better authority on law schools than US News.

Leiter, in 2005 (BU has been becoming more and more prestigious as the years go by, so this is probably different now), ranked BU ahead of BC for national placement.

Also, prestige-wise, as of 2006, Leiter has BU as tied for #14 in where current law faculty went to school - #18 overall. BC is not in the top 20.

More national placement + more elite firms in the Northeast hiring BU law grads = BU win. Sorry BC guys.


I think its a whole different story in Boston. It is true that BU is more national and has more graduates at top firms-- but this may be due to BU's ability to place decently in NY and Cali. BC is mostly a powerhouse in Boston. Coming from someone who has lived in Boston for quite some time and has developed an extensive network there, BC has more prestige.

The U.S. News rankings means little. BU and BC have swapped, and will continue to swap places in the years to come. Right now BU is ahead, but I'm sure it wont be long until BC excels.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BC vs BU for specific categories(including SB attractiveness

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 am

Yet again, you assert a point with nothing to back it up. Group think fail.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kvnrogers, packerboy31489, Screech Owl, studyingeveryday, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests