Penn v. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tintin

Silver

Re: Penn v. NYU

Post by tintin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
tintin wrote:I've been thinking about this choice a lot too...got into both, no $ at either. I agree with those who said that living in a closet for $2000/month is not attractive, nor is the lack of campus at NYU, or the big class sizes. However, I don't want to go into biglaw and it seems like NYU might have better options for gov / PI work. But...Philadelphia just seems like such a better (and cheaper) place to live. And I don't want to work in NYC...

so torn.... :roll:
I'm a little confused about how you know you didn't get $ at NYU. I don't think they've released the financial aid information for admitted students yet, right?
oh, i just assumed that i won't. with my #s i am surprised i got in so i really doubt $$ is in my future with NYU...

I guess I am torn because NYU seems obviously the better choice for me in terms of programs, etc, but living in NYC just seems like it would suck my soul dry (and my wallet)

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:50 am

NYU outplaces Penn in NYC and places about as well everywhere else. NYU is also outperforming Penn in clerkships (raw and per capita) from preliminary data so far this year. It may be an outlier, but I would consider the clerkship opportunities about equal in the long run. Basically, I'd choose NYU if you're considering working in NYC, and would go by personal preference otherwise.

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:08 am

whyamihere wrote:Lived in NYC for two years for work, and now living in Philly.

NYC really IS that expensive. Leaving rent aside, you have to realize that you are paying NYC prices for EVERYTHING. Grocery shopping? Be ready to pay 4 bucks for a carton of orange juice. Night out in the meatpacking district? Have fun with your $15 mixed drinks.

Almost everything you do in NYC is going to be more expensive than a small city like Philadelphia. As far as things to do, NYC definitely has more to do. But trust me, as 1Ls most of your time will be spent in the library.

I do not pay 4 dollars for orange juice and what law student can afford to go to the meatpacking district to go out?

Live with other people somewhere other than Manhattan. If you look around and don't care about living somewhere "cool" you can pay between 700 and 900 a month for a decent sized room in a good apartment (not huge but it will have a kitchen and a living room). Clearly, you can get a bigger apartment in Penn for the same money, but the size of your apartment shouldn't dictate whether you to go to one school or another.

And if money is a concern don't do what the above poster did and go to the meatpacking district. There are plenty of fun places to hang out that don't involve 15 dollar mixed drinks. Thats true for both NYC and Philly. Similarly, if you can spend thje money there are places in both cities where you can do that...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:15 am

Penn v. NYU is a choice I wish I got to make.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:20 am

GeePee wrote:NYU outplaces Penn in NYC and places about as well everywhere else. NYU is also outperforming Penn in clerkships (raw and per capita) from preliminary data so far this year. It may be an outlier, but I would consider the clerkship opportunities about equal in the long run. Basically, I'd choose NYU if you're considering working in NYC, and would go by personal preference otherwise.
no, i have no interest in NYC.....so it makes the decision harder!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 am

ihatelaw wrote:
whyamihere wrote:Lived in NYC for two years for work, and now living in Philly.

NYC really IS that expensive. Leaving rent aside, you have to realize that you are paying NYC prices for EVERYTHING. Grocery shopping? Be ready to pay 4 bucks for a carton of orange juice. Night out in the meatpacking district? Have fun with your $15 mixed drinks.

Almost everything you do in NYC is going to be more expensive than a small city like Philadelphia. As far as things to do, NYC definitely has more to do. But trust me, as 1Ls most of your time will be spent in the library.

I do not pay 4 dollars for orange juice and what law student can afford to go to the meatpacking district to go out?

Live with other people somewhere other than Manhattan. If you look around and don't care about living somewhere "cool" you can pay between 700 and 900 a month for a decent sized room in a good apartment (not huge but it will have a kitchen and a living room). Clearly, you can get a bigger apartment in Penn for the same money, but the size of your apartment shouldn't dictate whether you to go to one school or another.

And if money is a concern don't do what the above poster did and go to the meatpacking district. There are plenty of fun places to hang out that don't involve 15 dollar mixed drinks. Thats true for both NYC and Philly. Similarly, if you can spend thje money there are places in both cities where you can do that...

+1 to everything. fwiw i pay 2.50 for my tropicana at costco :D. also there are tons of bars and lounges esp in areas close to nyu/cooper union that have $4 drinks

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:43 am

More female Chlamydia cases per capita in Philly.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats08/tables/7.htm

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:15 pm

kittenmittons wrote:More female Chlamydia cases per capita in Philly.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats08/tables/7.htm
so perhaps the women of penn are having more fun? :lol:

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:16 pm

tintin wrote:
GeePee wrote:NYU outplaces Penn in NYC and places about as well everywhere else. NYU is also outperforming Penn in clerkships (raw and per capita) from preliminary data so far this year. It may be an outlier, but I would consider the clerkship opportunities about equal in the long run. Basically, I'd choose NYU if you're considering working in NYC, and would go by personal preference otherwise.
no, i have no interest in NYC.....so it makes the decision harder!
If you have no interest in NYC then go to Penn. It will be cheaper and that's more important.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Last edited by Joan Hollaway on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 pm

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:51 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”