Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: LSAT Addendum Advice
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:36 pm 

Archived Posts: 282
I am anti-addendum. My instinct is that 99% of addenda come off as whiny exercises in excuse making that serve to weaken one's application, but I am willing to be persuaded that I'm wrong. And I have a situation that many would say is worthy of an addendum.

I have two LSAT scores: 163, 176. I have no excuse for the first score. I was not sick, my mom had not died, and there was not a marching band practicing outside of my testing center. I was well-prepared going into the test. I had taken 15 practice tests under strictly timed conditions, and I had averaged 174, with a range of 165 to 179.

To be honest, the only explanation I have is that I had a bad day. My score was two points below my lowest ever PT. If I were to take the LSAT 50 times, I'd probably score a 163 no more than once.

What do you all think? Should I submit an addendum or not?

Post subject: Re: LSAT Addendum Advice
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:40 pm 

Archived Posts: 132
I would do it just because the scores are so drastically different. If it were a 173 then 176, or 162 then 165, then yeah I wouldn't bother. But you should probably indicate why a 176 is more indicative of your academic potential than a 165 without saying that you studied harder.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:40 pm 

Archived Posts: 169
Don't bother. That is a huge increase in score and the improvement will speak for itself. Also, you don't have a reason to write an addendum....so would you tell them what you wrote in this post? Congrats on the higher score- that's what will matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 am 

Archived Posts: 35
I'm bumping this because I don't want to be a douche and start another new thread about this.

At what point would you say an LSAT addendum becomes necessary? Does it ever? I have a 19 pt increase, and I similarly don't have a great excuse for the first score. I just feel like I should say something. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 pm 

Archived Posts: 746
grrrstick wrote:
I'm bumping this because I don't want to be a douche and start another new thread about this.

At what point would you say an LSAT addendum becomes necessary? Does it ever? I have a 19 pt increase, and I similarly don't have a great excuse for the first score. I just feel like I should say something. Any thoughts?

The 180 speaks for itself. I think any addendum trying to explain why you should be evaluated on your perfect score is going to come across as "douchey" even to an adcom. Surely no school can doubt your previous score was a fluke. Awesome improvement btw :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 pm 

Archived Posts: 223
WhyBother? wrote:
Don't bother. That is a huge increase in score and the improvement will speak for itself. Also, you don't have a reason to write an addendum....so would you tell them what you wrote in this post? Congrats on the higher score- that's what will matter.

+1. If you have nothing to say in your addendum, why waste your time writing it, and why waste their time by forcing them to read it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 pm 

Archived Posts: 70
I agree that you should not write one. If you really don't have an excuse like the ones you mentioned then it is better to let your scores speak for themselves since they increased dramatically.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm 
Chairwoman, Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Archived Posts: 1402
No addendum needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

Archived Posts: 176
This is a matter of personal choice, but no matter what, don't fill up more than about half a page, double-spaced.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]