Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Becoming an LSAT teacher?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 pm 

Archived Posts: 155

Last edited by duodora on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Becoming and LSAT teacher?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:33 pm 
Zitrus ist Krieg

Archived Posts: 453
My first recommendation would be to work on this, which you also did in the thread title:

duodora wrote:
...potentially becoming and LSAT (or GRE) teacher...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:34 pm 

Archived Posts: 2190
You're zinging someone on a typo? Seriously?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:36 pm 
Zitrus ist Krieg

Archived Posts: 453
rondemarino wrote:

I thought it was a typo, then I saw it twice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 pm 

Archived Posts: 51
here here

fails must be identified

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:41 pm 

To get us back on to useful terrain.

- Kaplan pays crap (starts at $20/hr).
- Testmasters pays between $50-75/hr depending on location (everyone I know mostly makes $50/hr though).

Its not clear to me why anyone bothers teaching at Kaplan. I made more money as a TA during my sophomore year of college.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm 

Archived Posts: 185
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

I thought it was a typo, then I saw it twice.

Rather than making the same typo twice, you think it makes more sense that someone who wrote a coherent post with multiple paragraphs doesn't know the difference between the words "an" and "and?" I call bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 pm 

Archived Posts: 136
sufjan wrote:
here here

fails must be identified

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:46 pm 

Nice. Fancy Pants and 23fulltimecowboys show us how its done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm 

Archived Posts: 136
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm 

Archived Posts: 5
you guys are ridonkulous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:51 pm 

Archived Posts: 49
I have worked for two companies: LTS in Boston, and PowerScore. To be honest, I don't remember all that much from LTS--it was 5 years ago, and I only worked with them for a year. But I can try my best to answer your questions for PowerScore.

It's a great job, and a fantastic experience. I have been with them for three years now. I do in class teaching (25 dollars/hr) tutoring (50 an hour) and phone tutoring (20 an hour). It's a good deal, but you can't tutor with them unless you teach first. The students are fantastic. The hours are somewhat flexible. The class times are set in the evening, but tutoring, particular phone tutoring, is any time. I had students for this last test as early as 5am, and as late as 1am. It was my choice to take those students though--they wouldn't forse them on you.

I live in Ohio, so you don't necessarily have to be in a major market to do it, but I don't know much about South Dakota.

The online class for PowerScore is run by extremely experienced teachers who have been with the company for quite some time.

I think it's fairly competitive. There's obviously a minimum LSAT score of the 99th percentile. They also go through an interview and training process. There also may not be an opening where you want to work. But it's always worth it to apply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:03 pm 

Archived Posts: 11
rondemarino wrote:
To get us back on to useful terrain.

- Kaplan pays crap (starts at $20/hr).
- Testmasters pays between $50-75/hr depending on location (everyone I know mostly makes $50/hr though).

Its not clear to me why anyone bothers teaching at Kaplan. I made more money as a TA during my sophomore year of college.

I make $8/hour working 15 hours/week as a TA.
$20 sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:09 pm 

Archived Posts: 10

Last edited by Polixenes on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:10 pm 

Archived Posts: 114
2lstudent wrote:
I have worked for two companies: LTS in Boston, and PowerScore. To be honest, I don't remember all that much from LTS--it was 5 years ago, and I only worked with them for a year. But I can try my best to answer your questions for PowerScore.

It's a great job, and a fantastic experience. I have been with them for three years now. I do in class teaching (25 dollars/hr) tutoring (50 an hour) and phone tutoring (20 an hour). It's a good deal, but you can't tutor with them unless you teach first. The students are fantastic. The hours are somewhat flexible. The class times are set in the evening, but tutoring, particular phone tutoring, is any time. I had students for this last test as early as 5am, and as late as 1am. It was my choice to take those students though--they wouldn't forse them on you.

I live in Ohio, so you don't necessarily have to be in a major market to do it, but I don't know much about South Dakota.

The online class for PowerScore is run by extremely experienced teachers who have been with the company for quite some time.

I think it's fairly competitive. There's obviously a minimum LSAT score of the 99th percentile. They also go through an interview and training process. There also may not be an opening where you want to work. But it's always worth it to apply.

I dont think anyone could forse me to take your class.

here here?

its a joke guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm 

Archived Posts: 938
coolgreen42 wrote:

I make $8/hour working 15 hours/week as a TA.
$20 sounds good to me.

Yes, but why would you take a job that pays $20 if you could do essentially the same job for $30-50. You're not choosing between being a TA and working for Kaplan, the question is work for Kaplan or one of the several other companies that pay significantly more?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 pm 

Archived Posts: 49
I am clearly not paid to teach spelling :oops:

HJO wrote:
2lstudent wrote:

I dont think anyone could forse me to take your class.

here here?

its a joke guys.

Post subject: Re: Becoming an LSAT teacher?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:32 pm 

Archived Posts: 175
Become a private tutor and advertise on craigslist! If you have a high lsat score and a good methodology to approach each question type you can offer a free intro session and then get more students through word of mouth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:41 pm 

Archived Posts: 403
I've also been considering working for a LSAT prep company like TM or Powerscore or BB or Princeton or Kaplan

Anyone know the relative difficulty in getting these jobs? Or rather what I mean is, for those of you who got a job teaching a class for these prep companies, what kind of things do you feel got you in? I feel a bit young (21) and somewhat inexperienced (I have some, but rather limited, experience as a tutor/mentor)...though I did score in the top 99% of the LSAT, so I meet that hard req.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:01 pm 

Archived Posts: 746
HJO wrote:
it's a joke guys.

FTFY :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 pm 

Thanks for the replies!

I just had a few more questions!

First of all--can anyone confirm the starting salaries of the different companies? There seem to be a lot of different numbers floating around. (and any info you have about salary increases would be great!)

Also--are there any test prep companies that give you the opportunity of teaching an online class just a few months after you started working with them--or do all the companies reserve online courses for the most advanced teachers?

Kaplan is the only prep company that teaches where I'm from in South Dakota, so I'm trying to balance the lower salary but getting to (potentially) go home for the summer (and not pay rent) versus a higher starting salary and staying in Baltimore over the summer.

Finally--what are the hours like? Is it possible to work essentially full time for the companies, or does it tend to be just a few hours each week?

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:39 pm 

duodora wrote:
First of all--can anyone confirm the starting salaries of the different companies? There seem to be a lot of different numbers floating around. (and any info you have about salary increases would be great!)

Taken from TM website: http://www.testmasters.net/lsat/Employment.aspx

Quote:
LSAT Instructor Salary

The starting salary for TestMasters LSAT instructors is the highest in the LSAT preparation industry. In Boston, New York City, Long Island, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Gainesville, Miami, Chicago, Evanston, Arlington, Fairfax, College Park, Baltimore, the District of Columbia, and the state of California the starting salary for instructors is $50 per hour; in all other locations the starting salary is $30 per hour. This pay rate includes both the lecture hours and the question-and-answer sessions. All TestMasters LSAT instructors are paid $50 per hour for in-person tutoring, $30 per hour for telephonic tutoring, and $10 per hour for helpline shifts. In addition, instructors are sometimes given the opportunity to travel outside of their local areas to teach classes at an hourly rate of pay that is higher than their regular rate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:22 pm 

Wow citrustang thanks! Any idea how competitive it is?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:51 pm 

AFAIK TM has the most stringent LSAT requirement for its instructors. Unless you scored in the 98th percentile or above you need not apply. Then beyond your score, they will assess your general teaching ability and decide if they want to hire/train you.

I know someone on TM staff but it's been awhile since we spoke last. I'll send her an email and see if she can tell me more about the application process (which is something I'm personally interested in as well).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 pm 

Archived Posts: 938
Powerscore and a couple other companies require 99%, that's more than TM requires. So if you end up with a pathetic 170 or 171 you're stuck with Testmasters.:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next