Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to deal with extreme anxiety during the test?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:03 pm 

Archived Posts: 281
Any suggestions on how to deal with debilitating anxiety?

Had a lot of trouble during the June administration -- missed an easy game, ran out of time on the last RC passage, repeatedly forgot to reset my watch to keep time.
My heart rate was well over 120 the entire test and I was very tired by the last section.

Just registered for the September test. Hope to better deal with anxiety this time.

My anxiety problem is not specific to LSAT.
I always had a problem performing in unfamiliar situations where I really care about the outcome, even if I had prepared and trained for them.
Examples: performing CPR, sparring in the ring, all sorts of social situations, physical/verbal confrontations, getting pulled over by a cop -- I found myself freezing in many of these, unable to think clearly.
On the other hand, once I have been through experience, I often find it less stressful next time.

If you are a nervous person who learned how to cope with stressful situations, please advise.

Post subject: Re: How to deal with extreme anxiety during the test?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:04 pm 

Archived Posts: 2297
Xanex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:06 pm 

Archived Posts: 212
Don't take Xanax. Meditation, swimming and yoga helped me. I also drank two glasses of champagne the day before.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:08 pm 

Archived Posts: 150
practice in test-like atmosphere. the kaplan center closest to me administers tests on saturdays with a proctor and everything. im pretty sure anyone can just walk in. a lot of kids showed up and it was just like the real thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:08 pm 

Archived Posts: 518
Pot?

No srsly, try to mimic the conditions as much as you can and develop a routine. Also, accept the fact you could "fail" but you won't die.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:11 pm 

Archived Posts: 7
I am all for mental steroids. I suffered from the same problem as you. It got to the point where I felt as if people were screaming in my head when I would sit for an exam, which, as you can imagine, makes taking it somewhat difficult to think. Unfortunately, that's what an anxiety attack is.

Prior to the Bar, I saw my doctor and explained the situation. he gave me a couple prescriptions, one of which is the meds that they give to actors to help deal with stage fright. (it's a similar thing.) I would see your doctor and see what he/she recommends. It may be that they rec. you meditate, etc... They may feel that meds would be more helpful. Either way, take action now, because some meds take time before they start working.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:24 pm 

Archived Posts: 129
Seriously a little anxiety can be good...keeps you sharp, but too much can definitely be a problem. Just close your eyes and take slow deep breaths and hold them before you exhale. While you are doing this empty your mind from all the thoughts about what is making you anxious. I try imagining the distance between my shoulder blades (for example) as just space. Try doing this to different parts of your body and just visualize the muscles relaxing. Focus on the areas where your stress manifests itself. Such as the your shoulders or the back of your neck. Picture your lungs filling with air and exhaling. I know it sounds corny but if you are truly focusing on visualizing these abstract things while taking deep breaths you almost enter a trance like state. And when you open your eyes hopefully you are relaxed, confident, focused and ready to kick the crap out of the LSAT!!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:43 pm 

Archived Posts: 37
I have anxiety disorder with panic attacks.. I can sympathize with you! I just took the june lsat and thought it would be a disaster, considering how important it is. I'm not sure how, but I was surprisingly calm, more so than when taking pts at home. First off, don't chit chat with anyone when you get there. The last thing I want to do is hear about how nervous everyone else is. Study your butt off and go in with the attitude that you've done everything in your power to prepare, and its out of your hands. Try to talk yourself down. Best of luck in sept.!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:59 pm 

Archived Posts: 84
Try seeing pyschologist, and doing cognotive behavioural therapy... it helped me, i used to have deabilitating anxiety coupled with panic attacks, and it helped. Also, its a drug-free option.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:13 pm 

Archived Posts: 40
B R E A T H E ! ! !

Seriously, breathing right can really calm your nerves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:37 pm 

Archived Posts: 89
Ritalin. Stay focused.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:44 pm 

Archived Posts: 2074
workout/ritalin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:45 pm 

Archived Posts: 899
I had HORRIBLE anxiety about this test until I started convincing myself that it was ONLY a test (despite what my fellow TLSers say) and not the end of the world. I understand a lot rides on the LSAT, but at the end of the day, if you don't do well, will someone die? Will your world be over? Will the sky start falling? No.

You've taken a THOUSAND exams over the course of your life. Why should this one be any different? It is just another exam. If you can take it on your undergrad campus, it would probably be even more helpful because you're comfortable there and you have already taken a lot of exams there. What difference would one more make? If you don't get the score you want, you can retake it. It's not that serious. :D

Honestly, when I started looking at it this way, my score started improving drastically. I think that removing anxiety is 85% of the battle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:21 pm 

Archived Posts: 56
had a similar experience the first time I took it. this time, I went for weekly hypnotherapy (total of 3x) in the weeks before the test. Then I listened to meditation CD's on the way to the test (and before every prep test leading up to the real thing).

you'll find something that works for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:35 pm 

Archived Posts: 554
I had this exact problem last October, and I have general test/performance anxiety, but am very prescription averse.

I did the following:

-- got into a routine of taking kava kava and 5-htp supplements each day along with my normal vitamins in the morning.

-- routinely (at least once a week) listened to confidence/meditation podcasts for an hour.

-- practiced timed PTs in public spaces where I'd be surrounded by people making noises and distracting me.

-- figured out that Mt. Dew was a better caffeinated beverage for me for tests than coffee; less stimulants but enough to keep me going.

-- practiced sections giving myself on 30 minutes (32 for RC) to get myself anxious on purpose and figure out how to cope before the test.

Finally, I got the LSAT proctor dvd and consistently practiced the watch resetting thing so I always knew when to expect the 5 minute warning. Anxiety plus that announcement really threw me off for the last few questions during my first test.

Hope these help! Good luck!

Last edited by iminlstrick on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 pm 

Archived Posts: 355
ladyarglwydds wrote:
Try seeing pyschologist, and doing cognotive behavioural therapy... it helped me, i used to have deabilitating anxiety coupled with panic attacks, and it helped. Also, its a drug-free option.

+1

Works better than drugs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:42 pm 

Archived Posts: 2187
I kept telling myself that f-ing up on the test doesn't matter because I have two more shots at the LSAT. By exam by, the test (June 09) felt like a normal PT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:52 pm 

Archived Posts: 208
With LG as my first section, I forgot to activate my watch. And by the time I was getting boggled by the dino game, the proctor called 5 minutes, and I was like WTF because I couldn't keep track of the time ;(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:50 pm 

Archived Posts: 84
a male human wrote:
With LG as my first section, I forgot to activate my watch. And by the time I was getting boggled by the dino game, the proctor called 5 minutes, and I was like WTF because I couldn't keep track of the time ;(

relevance?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:25 pm 

Archived Posts: 1315
Bust a move!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:32 pm 

Archived Posts: 1564
miamiesq wrote:
I am all for mental steroids. I suffered from the same problem as you. It got to the point where I felt as if people were screaming in my head when I would sit for an exam, which, as you can imagine, makes taking it somewhat difficult to think. Unfortunately, that's what an anxiety attack is.

Prior to the Bar, I saw my doctor and explained the situation. he gave me a couple prescriptions, one of which is the meds that they give to actors to help deal with stage fright. (it's a similar thing.) I would see your doctor and see what he/she recommends. It may be that they rec. you meditate, etc... They may feel that meds would be more helpful. Either way, take action now, because some meds take time before they start working.

this is a medical diagnosis now?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:56 pm 

Archived Posts: 208
ladyarglwydds wrote:
a male human wrote:

relevance?

TC's account of how he "repeatedly forgot to reset my watch to keep time" reminded me of how I forgot to use my watch during the game section of the June LSAT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:59 pm 

Archived Posts: 348
DOnt take this lightly, this is always going to haunt you in life one way or another, with the lsat and maybe with some big board meeting at work one day. I would suggest you seek help now , rather than later. There are groups to help , the funny thing is your anxiety is so sub conscience you dont know where it is coming from. See a Psychologist, no need for meds, and also there are groups like ACOA which is actually for children of alcoholics but they help more than just children of alcheys, people with overeating issues etc..

Support groups brother! Don't try to do it alone when there are others that can help you. I went through the same shit in life and realized it wasn't me, it was things that I had no idea that were bothering me... My anxiety is gone 100% thanks to support groups and a good psych... I took no Meds and no Alcohol! Pot, alcohol, all ways to suppress your self. Stay away from that shit!

Good luck with that!

O yea, watch a lot of funny movies and stay away from negative people, they will only bring you down man! ANd eat lots of PIzza! NY Style!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:15 pm 

Archived Posts: 137
Honestly, I think the best way to cope with this is to put yourself in some very stressful/high anxiety situations. Whatever it is that flusters you, public speaking, etc etc, go out there and do it.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I have been through some very high pressure situations that make the LSAT not seem so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:19 pm 

Archived Posts: 2187
barrydukakis wrote:
Honestly, I think the best way to cope with this is to put yourself in some very stressful/high anxiety situations. Whatever it is that flusters you, public speaking, etc etc, go out there and do it.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I have been through some very high pressure situations that make the LSAT not seem so bad.

former matador? stripper at a frat party?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next