Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Loud and Annoying people in the library
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:18 pm 

Archived Posts: 292
Can't fucking stand them. seriously. Like why would you ever bring a bag of 1LB chips and dip to study. Eating like a fucking cow all the while chopping it up on your cell phone about a bunch of bullshit no one would ever want/have to hear.

Needed to vent or else it was me going over and telling the person this directly.

Post subject: Re: Loud and Annoying people in the library
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 pm 

Archived Posts: 997
This happens here too, its usually sorostitutes struggling to stay an active member and make that 2.0!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:24 pm 

Archived Posts: 125
It is because some people don't give a crap about other people. In undergrad, we had a QUIET STUDY AREA where you were advised to breathe quietly. Even in there, people would talk in groups, chew, talk on their cell phone, etc. I think my blood pressure increased significantly because of the library. I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 pm 

Archived Posts: 1014
I FEEL YOUR PAIN. IN CASE YOURE ALL WONDERING WHY IM WRITING IN ALL CAPS, NO, MY CAPS KEY IS NOT STUCK AND NO, I DIDNT FORGET THAT ITS ON, THIS IS ME FUCKING SCREAMING AS I CURRENTLY SIT IN MY SCHOOLS LIBRARY. BECAUSE OF THESE SELFISH ASSHOLES THAT THINK THE LIBRARY IS A SOCIAL ARENA FOR ENTER-FUCKING-TAINMENT, I HAVE TO SCREAM OVER THEIR VOICES, EVEN WHILE TYPING. I HATE QUEENS COLLEGE.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 pm 

Archived Posts: 52
Or, while taking PT at PUBLIC library in the QUIET ROOM ("no typing," stated at door-- that's how quiet) and :evil: middle-aged woman comes into the room with a :twisted: 10 YEAR OLD to tutor basic math. Unbelievable. As if 10 year olds have any volume control. I seriously wanted to strangle them both. Especially the woman. There is a whole floor of public, non-quiet area for these that type of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:32 pm 

Archived Posts: 1608
I hate when people listen to there music so loud that you could hear it from a mile away. I mean, they're in your ear, how loud does it need to be? Especially in a quiet study room.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:33 pm 

gnrllyskptclothsht wrote:
Or, while taking PT at PUBLIC library in the QUIET ROOM ("no typing," stated at door-- that's how quiet) and :evil: middle-aged woman comes into the room with a :twisted: 10 YEAR OLD to tutor basic math. Unbelievable. As if 10 year olds have any volume control. I seriously wanted to strangle them both. Especially the woman. There is a whole floor of public, non-quiet area for these that type of thing.

WELL YELL AT THAT MIDDLE-AGED BIOTCH NEXT TIME. IF YOU WANT SOME COJONES, ILL LEND YOU ONE ONLY.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 pm 

Archived Posts: 2791
Can't you people study at home?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:39 pm 

kn6542 wrote:

No actually, I can't. I live in a home with 6 foster children, would you care to study in that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:41 pm 

Archived Posts: 828
I feel more focused and acheive far more when I study in a public place.

Almost every time I try to take a practice lsat in the quiet section of the two libraries I go to, I need to inform people that they are in a quiet zone. They generally stfu.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:44 pm 

kn6542 wrote:

Yea, only when you're sitting on my lap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:45 pm 

CastleRock wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

No actually, I can't. I live in a home with 6 foster children, would you care to study in that?

Is that your actual house or your fraternity house? I called my fraternity house a foster house...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:45 pm 

Archived Posts: 52
isaaca wrote:
gnrllyskptclothsht wrote:

WELL YELL AT THAT MIDDLE-AGED BIOTCH NEXT TIME. IF YOU WANT SOME COJONES, ILL LEND YOU ONE ONLY.

I was at the end of the last section, so instead I just huffed and puffed my way through those last 6 or so questions, thinking it was a good training exercise, in case the person next to me on 10/4 has a wheezing problem or a twitch or tick or something.

I've done OK without your cojone, so far. . . But thanks for the offer; can I take a raincheck?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:48 pm 

Archived Posts: 142
omfg, once there was a middle aged man who sat down at a comp at my UG lib, and started chatting away on the phone at his convenient volume. which was fucking loud. i swear, everybody just kept looking around at each other while he's talking about going out on these failed blind dates.. finally i was so pissed off, i went and told him to be quiet or go outside. he looked annoyed as shit but it worked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:48 pm 

isaaca wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Is that your actual house or your fraternity house? I called my fraternity house a foster house...

It's my actual house.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:50 pm 

CastleRock wrote:
isaaca wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

It's my actual house.

Very admirable and altruistic. 6 of 'em is lots of mouths to feed though. Nice deed though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:51 pm 

Archived Posts: 2114
kritiosboy wrote:
I feel more focused and acheive far more when I study in a public place.

Almost every time I try to take a practice lsat in the quiet section of the two libraries I go to, I need to inform people that they are in a quiet zone. They generally stfu.

i agree. at home i get lazy, i.e. fucking around on my guitar too much or sitting around doing chess problems...

and i too politely ask people to shut the fuck up and go into the stairwell if they wanna scream on their cell phones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 pm 

Archived Posts: 2791
CastleRock wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Can't you find a real place to live?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 pm 

Archived Posts: 26
i study at the food court near my work, so im pretty much used to anything. i sat next to a moaning goth transvestite last week.

she/he helped me with the contrapositive. not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:06 pm 

kn6542 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

Can't you find a real place to live?

Lol, what does that mean?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:08 pm 

CastleRock wrote:
I live in a home with 6 foster children, would you care to study in that?

do you really? crazy... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm 

Archived Posts: 658
CRJC wrote:
omfg, once there was a middle aged man who sat down at a comp at my UG lib, and started chatting away on the phone at his convenient volume. which was fucking loud. i swear, everybody just kept looking around at each other while he's talking about going out on these failed blind dates.. finally i was so pissed off, i went and told him to be quiet or go outside. he looked annoyed as shit but it worked.

people who get on their celly tend to completely forget where they are. it's like they enter a different world where other people in the room cease to exist.

oh and the people who get on the phone right as they are leaving the parking lot--these folks almost run me over daily.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:13 pm 

Archived Posts: 49
I have had to complain to staff at one library I go to. People were in groups just talking like they were back on the block. The staff lady was kind of a jerk, but she chewed those kids out. If it was just one person or one group the staff or myself could correct them, but if the whole damn community was coming in and being loud I just had to get the private room, come another time, or make other arrangements. However, most random people just didn't know better, and I usually felt better if I at least tried to do something about it. Then, if it wasn't resolved I didn't blame myself later for not having tried to remedy the situation.

One thing that would work for me is to double up in a study room with someone. These study rooms were nice and vitually sound proof to outside noises. (You couldn't hold one by yourself as you could be bumped if a group came, but if there were two of you you could hold the room.)

I wonder if these people making all the racket have ever achieved anything academically besides the minimum. It seemed like to really succeed in difficult courses you had to buckle down or you would fail! Concentration and memorization was a requirement. Many of these people have not learned that. Possibly if they had they would have more consideration IMO. Just showing up to the library isn't enough! LOL

I guess it's one reason my days and nights are also mixed up. I study at my condo now mostly and it is most quiet from 8pm to 8am.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 pm 

hkfortytwo wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
I live in a home with 6 foster children, would you care to study in that?

do you really? crazy... :shock:

Yep, I really do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:16 pm 

Baron wrote:
I wonder if these people making all the racket have ever achieved anything academically besides the minimum. It seemed like to really succeed in difficult courses you had to buckle down or you would fail! Concentration and memorization was a requirement. Many of these people have not learned that. Possibly if they had they would have more consideration IMO. Just showing up to the library isn't enough! LOL

dude. i'm studying at ucsb. otherwise known as the 'university of casual sex and beer'. you've just described about 99% of the student body. 'floating by' is the fucking school motto.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next