Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mechanical #2 pencil OK for LSAT?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:21 am 

Archived Posts: 7
You can only use a #2 pencil for the actual LSAT, per lsac.org. Do they mind if it's a mechanical pencil? Does it even matter?

I only ask because I prefer mechanical pencils and in my mind every little bit helps.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Mechanical #2 pencil OK for LSAT?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:26 am 

Archived Posts: 345
No mechanical pencils, iirc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:27 am 

Archived Posts: 302
mechanical pencils are banned.

ridiculous, but I'm not joking.

I can only guess the reason is because there must have been a precedent of cheating (using microscopic cheat sheets inside the pencil) but frankly, I couldn't care less if some dimwit attempted that, because the LSAT is nothing about memorization anyway. I would prefer the convenience of using a lead pencil (I can't even remember when I used a regular pencil....oh say grade 3?) over the security of knowing some idiot will be prevented from getting a score of 180 by using cheat sheets in his/her pencil!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 am 

Archived Posts: 361
i dont understand how you could ceonceivably cheat on the lsat by bringing in outside material.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:32 am 

cfishy305 wrote:
i dont understand how you could ceonceivably cheat on the lsat by bringing in outside material.

let alone inside the barrel of a mechanical pencil.

seriously, I think they went over the top with that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 am 

Archived Posts: 75
no it's because too many people complained of the ticking sound it makes when you want to pump the lead out after you break it. that noise bothered a lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:42 am 

that's even more absurd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 am 

Archived Posts: 730
I ♥ mechanical pencils. :cry:

Wood pencils irritate my hand and make me feel anxious because I don't like how they feel. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:03 am 

Archived Posts: 1293
Diagnosis: LSAT OCD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:15 am 

I think I'm going to try to smuggle a mechanical pencil into the test and bring a couple wood pencils as back up if they make me trash my beloved mechanical pencil. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:18 am 

ditto. try the same with earplugs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 am 

ilove wrote:
ditto. try the same with earplugs

hmm...interesting. I think I'd be too scared that I won't hear the proctor call time if I brought ear plugs. Plus, I don't get easily distracted when taking a test. I was a competitive swimmer for 11 years and my swim coach would always tell us to "clear the mechanism" when we are about to compete to get us in the "zone". So that taught me to tone out distracting sounds fairly easily. I wonder if I do anything that annoys other test takers :shock: haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:22 am 

Archived Posts: 351
kissthegerman wrote:
I think I'm going to try to smuggle a mechanical pencil into the test and bring a couple wood pencils as back up if they make me trash my beloved mechanical pencil. :shock:

Definitely. I bought the analog watch from Walmart (kind of freaked out if it will keep accurate time...I've never heard of "Relic" brand watches before), but the pencil thing isn't working for me.

I want to buy those mechanical pencils that look like wooden pencils.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/1 ... ow-Barrel/

I think these don't even "click," but twist on the bottom to dispense lead, so it wouldn't bother ms. nancy pancy who has the super sensitive ears.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 am 

Archived Posts: 147
That's a good idea! I HATE wooden pencils and don't want to part from my beloved mechanical ones. Also...the twisty ones are brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:48 am 
Drunken Sheriff

Archived Posts: 11405
jay115 wrote:
kissthegerman wrote:

Definitely. I bought the analog watch from Walmart (kind of freaked out if it will keep accurate time...I've never heard of "Relic" brand watches before), but the pencil thing isn't working for me.

I think these don't even "click," but twist on the bottom to dispense lead, so it wouldn't bother ms. nancy pancy who has the super sensitive ears.

Really... you guys are all going to go into the test knowingly violating one of the testing rules? Everyone wants to use mechanical pencils... But they are banned. Don't you think you are giving yourselves an unfair advantage? While everyone else may worry about breaking lead and having to resharpen or anything else that can go wrong with those shitty wooden pencils... You all will be working away with the mechanical pencils that are not allowed. Of course the rule is silly, but it's still a rule. Also, I believe the reason they were banned was not due to noise, but do to a rather elaborate cheating method that was employed several years ago. So as a bit of advice, stick with wooden pencils, don't be that tester, and I recommend Ticonderoga pencils and a very good sharpener like something from Staedtler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:54 am 

betasteve wrote:
jay115 wrote:
kissthegerman wrote:

Really... you guys are all going to go into the test knowingly violating one of the testing rules? Everyone wants to use mechanical pencils... But they are banned. Don't you think you are giving yourselves an unfair advantage? While everyone else may worry about breaking lead and having to resharpen or anything else that can go wrong with those shitty wooden pencils... You all will be working away with the mechanical pencils that are not allowed. Of course the rule is silly, but it's still a rule. Also, I believe the reason they were banned was not due to noise, but do to a rather elaborate cheating method that was employed several years ago. So as a bit of advice, stick with wooden pencils, don't be that tester, and I recommend Ticonderoga pencils and a very good sharpener like something from Staedtler.

lol sorry, I was just joking about smuggling mechanical pencils into the test. I just need to find a good wooden pencil that doesn't irritate me. Are we allowed to use those pencil cushions for your fingers??? I think that might help. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:59 am 
Drunken Sheriff

kissthegerman wrote:

lol sorry, I was just joking about smuggling mechanical pencils into the test. I just need to find a good wooden pencil that doesn't irritate me. Are we allowed to use those pencil cushions for your fingers??? I think that might help. :D

Sorry for the overreaction since you were joking, however I think some may not be. Try the pencil I recommended (high quality) and I think you are fine with the cushions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:02 am 

Archived Posts: 420

Last edited by ObLaDiObLaDa on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 am 

betasteve wrote:
kissthegerman wrote:

Sorry for the overreaction since you were joking, however I think some may not be. Try the pencil I recommended (high quality) and I think you are fine with the cushions.

ok I'll have to try that pencil! Thanks for the help! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:12 am 

Archived Posts: 22
betasteve wrote:
jay115 wrote:
kissthegerman wrote:

Wow, this guy is by far the biggest tool I have ever seen on TLS, and that is a huge accomplishment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:19 am 

Archived Posts: 807
ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:
betasteve wrote:
...and I recommend Ticonderoga pencils and a very good sharpener like something from Staedtler.

If there was one saving grace in my June exam, it was those Ticonderoga pencils. I thought I'd never be happy without using a mechanical one but that...that pencil was pure joy to work with. I highly recommend it as well.

(and the saddest part of this entire post, is that I'm being 100% serious).

God damn, this sounds like you are in love with the pencil or something. It is merely a tool! Like the rest of us will be to the corporate work-force once we get our JDs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 am 
Drunken Sheriff

SebastianGould wrote:
betasteve wrote:
jay115 wrote:
kissthegerman wrote:

Wow, this guy is by far the biggest tool I have ever seen on TLS, and that is a huge accomplishment.

Wow.. 8 posts when you made this... wonderful... I bow down to your infinite TLS wisdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:04 pm 

Archived Posts: 1546
SebastianGould wrote:
betasteve wrote:
jay115 wrote:
kissthegerman wrote:

Wow, this guy is by far the biggest wooden tool I have ever seen on TLS, and that is a huge accomplishment.

fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 pm 

Archived Posts: 22
I look forward to reading your other posts. Do you have any heroic tales of civic pride, honesty, and patriotism that you would care to share with us?

Anyone want to place bets on whether this guy will report someone at his test location for using a mechanical pencil?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 pm 
Drunken Sheriff

blhblahblah wrote:
Quote:
Wow, this guy is by far the biggest wooden tool I have ever seen on TLS, and that is a huge accomplishment.

fixed.

Well.. at least that was funny.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next