Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do i improve my chances of getting into law school?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:29 pm 

Archived Posts: 1
This is a complicated one, hopefully someone can help me

I'm currently about to graduate from undergrad and don't have a very high GPA. I also dont have much to put on my resume as to outside of school activities, except that i was in the Marines. what are my chances, or what can i do to improve my chances of getting into law school? other then doing amazing on my LSATS, i herd somewhere that graduaute schools offer graduate level courses with no credits to students so they can demonstrate that even though they might of not done well in undergraduate, that they have finally gotten their act together, are there any such courses which law schools offer? any advise would be helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:44 pm 

Archived Posts: 2225
Since I dont' know your exact GPA, this will be a bit generic.

Because graduate school will not factor into you your LSDAS GPA, going to graduate school to improve your chances of admission to law school would really be a very expensive soft factor on your application. Grad school GPAs are heavily inflated and adcoms know this. If you were to get a 4.0 in grad school it would help, but it won't really negate a less-than-stellar UG GPA.

The only way you will really be able to trump or negate a bad GPA is to kill the LSAT. Your service in the Marines will help some (I know, I am a former Marine as well), but because adcoms will focus mainly on numbers, so should be your focus. Don't take the test until you know you are prepared to do very well on it. If you can score well enough, you should be able to get into some very good schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:15 am 

Archived Posts: 37
Jc:
Do your best on the LSAt as Paul said, but also realize that your experiences do play a role. So a great personal statement can help (Ad Comm's personally commented on my P.S), paint the picture of exactly who you are and what led you to apply to LS. Great recommendations are also helpful, so try to get Prof's who know & LIKE you to write those. You will be fine...good luck!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]