Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oklahoma City University School of Law
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:30 pm 

Archived Posts: 118
Law School Programs >> Oklahoma Law Schools

okcu.edu/law
Oklahoma City University School of Law is located in Oklahoma City, OK. It appears on the Top Law Schools Rankings page.

Please "post a reply" and add any comments you have about OCU Law. Many generations of prospective law students will benefit by the information you share.

Post subject: Re: Oklahoma City University School of Law
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 pm 

Archived Posts: 153
wow all those views and not one response? Can someone tell me about this school. A girl I know raves about it so I want the real scoop--- If it's out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 pm 

Archived Posts: 3145
third best school in Oklahoma.....kinda tells the story. It's not a joke in OKC, but OU is just going to kill OCU most of the time. I don't know what jobs people think they're going to get coming from OCU, but I'd wager that two thirds of the class struggles to find any legal job of any kind coming from OCU. If you're wanting to be in Oklahoma, do what you have to do to get into OU or get a big unconditional scholarship from OCU or Tulsa.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:00 pm 

Archived Posts: 1
OCU is a diploma mill. I got a 70% scholarship to go there and I still chose Arkansas at full price (i live in Norman). I got waitlisted at OU. I have several friends that are attorneys at mid-sized firms in OKC and asked each of them the same question: If you are hiring a new associate and you have an OCU grad and an Arkansas grad, who do you hire? All four attorneys said Arkansas without question. OU would obviously be above OCU and Arkansas. OCU is expensive and all the 3L's I talked to at open house didn't have ANY job offers yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:39 pm 

Not accurate, but no offense. :) I transferred from OCU last year, now I’m at TX Tech, and I think the school is fantastic [I transfered to be close to my fiance, not because I dislike OCU!].
On the Plus:
OCU Law just posted a 94% bar passage rate; that’s the 2nd highest in Oklahoma and Top 20 in the country.
Close to 3/4 of the faculty have an Ivy League degree, and the others clerked for federal judges.
It is VERY respected in the state of Oklahoma. I found jobs with ease and was personally told, by managing directors of the 2nd and 3rd largest firms in the state and FEDERAL JUDGES, that an OCU Law degree is stellar because of the vigorous schoolwork and the faculty is considered the top in the state.
The law school is moving downtown, or renovating their facilities within the next four years. Either way, it will be state of the art.
On the negative
It is very expensive!
The school is located in a "rough" part of Oklahoma City.
An OCU JD is not very recognizable outside of Oklahoma or Texas due to the "rankings" from US News and Report.

I thought it was a great school, and I was sad to leave. I recommend taking a visit for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:08 pm 
Most Powertripping Mod Evar

Archived Posts: 3604
oilgasbroker wrote:
Not accurate, but no offense. :) I transferred from OCU last year, now I’m at TX Tech, and I think the school is fantastic [I transfered to be close to my fiance, not because I dislike OCU!].
On the Plus:
OCU Law just posted a 94% bar passage rate; that’s the 2nd highest in Oklahoma and Top 20 in the country.
Close to 3/4 of the faculty have an Ivy League degree, and the others clerked for federal judges.
It is VERY respected in the state of Oklahoma. I found jobs with ease and was personally told, by managing directors of the 2nd and 3rd largest firms in the state and FEDERAL JUDGES, that an OCU Law degree is stellar because of the vigorous schoolwork and the faculty is considered the top in the state.
The law school is moving downtown, or renovating their facilities within the next four years. Either way, it will be state of the art.
On the negative
It is very expensive!
The school is located in a "rough" part of Oklahoma City.
An OCU JD is not very recognizable outside of Oklahoma or Texas due to the "rankings" from US News and Report.

I thought it was a great school, and I was sad to leave. I recommend taking a visit for yourself.

I understand your point that USN&WR rankings can be a bit restrictive, but that's life. The fact is that those "rankings" determine which "employers" will offer you a "job" - which is sorta the whole reason you're probably going to law school in the first place. Unless you are very wealthy or get a full ride, I can't imagine this school is really worth going to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:05 am 

Most of these posts are just pure ignorance. Only 1 poster appears to have any experience with the school itself and that's just 1 year and he transfered to TX Tech after that year. I attended this school and I liked it, but of course, this is the only perspective I have from which to base my opinion.

The quality of education you receive from OCU is very good. It has a high bar passage rate (I passed the OK bar first time and just sat last week for the Colorado bar exam). Here is what I tell people:

If you want to pass the bar and become a lawyer, OCU is good. If you want to pass the bar, become a lawyer, and don't want to kill yourself paying back loans, go to OU. Networking with people from OCU is great, but all things equal (and this applies to most admission decisions) go to the least expensive school you can find, unless you just can't get in anywhere else. I didn't apply to anywhere but OCU. I did an internship for a United States Congressman in college that graduated from OCU law so I figured if you could go there and also be elected to Congress, that's good enough for me. PM me with any questions.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:27 pm 

jallenmorris wrote:
Most of these posts are just pure ignorance. Only 1 poster appears to have any experience with the school itself and that's just 1 year and he transfered to TX Tech after that year. I attended this school and I liked it, but of course, this is the only perspective I have from which to base my opinion.

The quality of education you receive from OCU is very good. It has a high bar passage rate (I passed the OK bar first time and just sat last week for the Colorado bar exam). Here is what I tell people:

If you want to pass the bar and become a lawyer, OCU is good. If you want to pass the bar, become a lawyer, and don't want to kill yourself paying back loans, go to OU. Networking with people from OCU is great, but all things equal (and this applies to most admission decisions) go to the least expensive school you can find, unless you just can't get in anywhere else. I didn't apply to anywhere but OCU. I did an internship for a United States Congressman in college that graduated from OCU law so I figured if you could go there and also be elected to Congress, that's good enough for me. PM me with any questions.

The school is just SUPER expensive. I don't see any benefit to going to this school rather than putting in some extra work on the LSAT and opening up some more options. Schools like this are doing a disservice to the profession and its students.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm 
Minister of Defense

Archived Posts: 4302
On the Plus:
You can get a 149 on your LSAT and still be at the school's median.

On the negative:
You're stuck at Oklahoma City. :( sry

:P

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:36 am 

Helmholtz wrote:
On the Plus:

On the negative:

But I guess my point is there isn't a good reason not to just study hard on the LSAT and get into a better school. I just cant get over how expensive this school is, especially for being the third best school in the state. I mean, bump your score three more points and save yourself $30K. It seems ridiculous not to.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 am 

Archived Posts: 72
A paralegal at the firm I worked at went on vacation and the temp they hired for one week was an OCU law grad. I was not impressed by him or his employment situation. Now, this was in Phoenix so there are obviously some portability issues, but this is probably obvious.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am 
Minister of Defense

Archived Posts: 4302
blackacre wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
On the Plus:

On the negative:

But I guess my point is there isn't a good reason not to just study hard on the LSAT and get into a better school. I just cant get over how expensive this school is, especially for being the third best school in the state. I mean, bump your score three more points and save yourself $30K. It seems ridiculous not to.

It would be difficult to justify any tuition to a school like OCU. It seems widely regarded as one of the worst 20 law schools in the country. All you need to get into OU is a decent GPA and an LSAT in the high 150's / low 160's. It would be a much better option.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:29 pm 

Archived Posts: 99
edited

Last edited by childersa on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:07 pm 

Let’s try to look at this in a fair and balanced manner. OU and OCU share several professors. Likewise, OCU and Tulsa share several professors. From what I have witnessed, the grading at OCU tends to be harder. One of the OU/OCU professors said that he disliked working at OU because he was forced to give no lower than a B at OU.

At OU, it seems to me that when you're admitted then you are pretty much assured of graduating. OCU retains a historically traditional approach of rigorously pushing its students. It seemed there was about 25 - 30% (my guesstimate) for attrition and transfers to other schools over 3-years. OCU is definitely more like the "Paper Chase" with a real focus on learning and distinquishing the law. OCU teams also seem to always get top awards at moot court competitions for their briefs and oral presentations.

At OU and Tulsa, it seems the courses have a bar prep component to each courses. At OCU, the school focuses on the practical elements of law and purposely keeps classes away from bar prep. OCU students prepare for the bar only outside of the law school curriculum. You'll learn the law at OCU and will need to take bar/bri and PMBR during the summer to practice for the exam. OU has a slightly higher bar pass rate. But, OCU's bar pass rate is close – there is not much of a difference between the three schools anymore.

OCU is definitely more expensive than OU but OCU is about at par with Tulsa.

Practically speaking, in my opinion - for whatever it's worth (free, and you get what you pay for), if you're looking to be a practicing attorney then OCU will give you better tools. Personally, in the short-term, I would rather go up against an OU or Tulsa graduate than an OCU graduate. But, after a few years, the experiance/education likely balances out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]