Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: dropped out of law school today
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:12 pm 

Archived Posts: 34
Dropped out today before getting any bad grades finalized on my transcripts (i.e., legal writing). As much time as I put into my memo, I could have studied for the lsat and broke a 170. Probably best just to retake the lsat and hope for t-14.

Post subject: Re: dropped out of law school today
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:18 pm 

Archived Posts: 1122
WTF, dude let it go. Go out and get a job and move on with your life, as opposed to clinging on to some fantastical dream of prestige.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:22 pm 

Archived Posts: 1530
[quote="chris1987"]Dropped out today before getting any bad grades finalized on my transcripts (i.e., legal writing). As much time as I put into my memo, I could have studied for the lsat and broke a 170. Probably best just to retake the lsat and hope for t-14.[/quote]
Can you do that? I thought once you started you had a record and couldn't apply as a 1st year again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:23 pm 

Archived Posts: 71
That's probably the smartest thing you could have done-no way is going to law school worth it outside the t-14.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:23 pm 

Archived Posts: 2771
chris1987 wrote:
Dropped out today before getting any bad grades finalized on my transcripts (i.e., legal writing). As much time as I put into my memo, I could have studied for the lsat and broke a 170. Probably best just to retake the lsat and hope for t-14.

How rich do you have to be to be able to walk away from a semester of tuition like that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:25 pm 

Archived Posts: 5009
chris1987 wrote:

I'd call elaborate flame, but man, this started in July.

Choice quotes:

chris1987 wrote:
Figure I can live off the student loans and be set for the next 3-4 years--good idea?

chris1987 wrote:
can you go to jail for buying stocks with your student loan $?

chris1987 wrote:
I don't really feel like going to law school either--I think it is a pretty normal feeling. If you are not sure what you want to do, a JD is good because it is a flexible degree and can lead to a wide variety of employment options (not necessarily in law).

chris1987 wrote:
anybody ashamed/embarrassed about which law school they go to?

Yikes.

I mean, dropping out is TCR, but I could've told you that 3 months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 pm 

Archived Posts: 2190
:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:28 pm 

Archived Posts: 202
ruleser wrote:
chris1987 wrote:
Dropped out today before getting any bad grades finalized on my transcripts (i.e., legal writing). As much time as I put into my memo, I could have studied for the lsat and broke a 170. Probably best just to retake the lsat and hope for t-14.[/quote]
Can you do that? I thought once you started you had a record and couldn't apply as a 1st year again.

You can drop out and reapply to law school as long as you didn't get any 1l grades (then you'd have to apply as a transfer). So conceivably, you could go up until the last day of class and drop out and you'd be ok-you'd just take a big tuition hit. If you've got the money to take a practice semester like that, then more power to you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 pm 

Archived Posts: 1384
OP obviously is not motivated enough.
I was not totally happy with my 1L 1st semester grades and at one time I thought I was going to quit too. In the end I decided to stick it out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 pm 

Archived Posts: 1682
rayiner wrote:
chris1987 wrote:

I'd call elaborate flame, but man, this started in July.

Choice quotes:

chris1987 wrote:
Figure I can live off the student loans and be set for the next 3-4 years--good idea?

chris1987 wrote:
can you go to jail for buying stocks with your student loan $?

chris1987 wrote:
I don't really feel like going to law school either--I think it is a pretty normal feeling. If you are not sure what you want to do, a JD is good because it is a flexible degree and can lead to a wide variety of employment options (not necessarily in law).

chris1987 wrote:
anybody ashamed/embarrassed about which law school they go to?

Yikes.

I mean, dropping out is TCR, but I could've told you that 3 months ago.

HAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

No lie, I was getting ready to make a similar post. When I saw his post about investing loan money, I just couldn't take it anymore!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 pm 

cantaboot wrote:
I was not totally happy with my 1L 1st semester grades and at one time I thought I was going to quit too. In the end I decided to stick it out.

I mean, OP wasn't motivated enough going in --- the whole thing was doomed from the beginning. Otherwise, I'd say that dropping out for being median in legal writing is fuck-tarded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm 

Archived Posts: 1682
Best. Flame. Ever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm 

rayiner wrote:
cantaboot wrote:

I mean, OP wasn't motivated enough going in --- the whole thing was doomed from the beginning. Otherwise, I'd say that dropping out for being median in legal writing is fuck-tarded.

yeah-but op's median at a shit law school. That's a career death sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:39 pm 

Archived Posts: 290
chris1987 wrote:

So you're struggling at a non-14, and your plan is to retake the LSAT and go to a T-14 where you will presumably not struggle?

This should end well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:41 pm 

bedbathandbeheadings wrote:
rayiner wrote:
cantaboot wrote:

Yeah, but median in legal writing. That class is always a crapshot (very tight curve). Eg, on our last assignment, the median was a 36/50, and the high grade was a 38/50.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:44 pm 

Archived Posts: 308
AngryAvocado wrote:
chris1987 wrote:

So you're struggling at a non-14, and your plan is to retake the LSAT and go to a T-14 where you will presumably not struggle?

This should end well.

Haahahahah

good point!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 pm 

Archived Posts: 945
rayiner wrote:
rayiner wrote:
cantaboot wrote:

Yeah, but median in legal writing. That class is always a crapshot (very tight curve). Eg, on our last assignment, the median was a 36/50, and the high grade was a 38/50.

I thought graded LRW was just for TTTs? ... NorTTTwestern?

It's actually a little suprising your guys's LRW is curved at all with how shockingly high NU's median GPA is forced to.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:06 am 

Archived Posts: 101
That's probably the smartest thing you could have done-no way is going to law school worth it outside the t-14.

I personally hope you land the rock bottom position of your class at your precious HYS just for that statement

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:07 am 

AngryAvocado wrote:
chris1987 wrote:

This should end well.

good point. I guess if you are going to do bad, though, it is better to be below median at Georgetown than below median at Hofstra.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:08 am 

Archived Posts: 571
AngryAvocado wrote:
chris1987 wrote:

This should end well.

AA, you're forgetting that LSAT is the best predictor of law school performance. if he can get over 170 he won't struggle next time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:09 am 

XxSpyKEx wrote:
I thought graded LRW was just for TTTs? ... NorTTTwestern?

It's actually a little suprising your guys's LRW is curved at all with how shockingly high NU's median GPA is forced to.

Yeah, graded LRW is pretty TTT, but to be fair, U of Chicago does this too. As for shockingly high median GPA, that's rich coming from someone who goes to a school that gives P/H/HH grades. :-P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:10 am 

Archived Posts: 101
ITT: A severe smug storm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:11 am 
Princess of Fordham

Archived Posts: 4670
rayiner wrote:
rayiner wrote:
cantaboot wrote:

Legal writing final grades have to adhere to the curve, but on individual papers, professors can do whatever they want. Ours decided not to give out any As or A-s on the short memo. I only found this out after the damage was done, and I'd been horribly embarrassed by my B+.

Law school is not for everyone, because not everyone can handle the pressure. I don't think OP's decision was inevitable, and flame or not, he doesn't deserve some of these responses. People make mistakes, and for my part, I wish him well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:12 am 

Archived Posts: 308
Brawndo wrote:

I personally hope you land the rock bottom position of your class at your precious HYS just for that statement

Hahaha

what is going on tonight?

these statements are way to funny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 am 

Brawndo wrote:

rock bottom at HYS>>>top of the class at non-t-14

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next