Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best way to study for closed book exams?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:57 pm 

Archived Posts: 231
All my exams were open-book last semester. This semester, most of them are closed. I'm most worried about Crim and Property.

For those of you who have had, or will have, closed book exams, how did you approach making and studying your outline? What would you recommend I do starting from, say, a month out (which is now)?

Post subject: Re: Best way to study for closed book exams?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm 

Archived Posts: 146
We had a closed book torts exam last semester... Just do hypos...lots of hypos...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:16 pm 

Archived Posts: 147
Last sem I had 2 open and 1 closed book exam. To be perfectly honest, although I had prepared outlines and brought them into the open book exams, I never really had enough time to reference them anyways, so it was like I virtually had 3 closed book exams. I think the most important part about outlining is going through the actual process, with the finished product being a "bonus" to bring to open book exams. Honestly, though, if you are adequately outlining, you shouldn't really need to reference them much at all during the test.

However, I do understand there are some specific black letter law details, exceptions, etc that you will want to remember. For that I suggest doing some sort of note card memorization process a few days before the test.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 pm 

Archived Posts: 535
Most of my exams were closed exam. I did not find that there was much of a difference other than more memorizing. For the close exams, I memorized everything. Obviously this took about a day or two longer, but that was all that was needed to get the same grades. I actually memorized a lot for the open book ones too, but not as well since I could often look it up.

I do not think there is too much strategy. I actually thought the curve on the close book ones were easier since people were often lazy to memorize.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

Archived Posts: 37
all closed but one last semester....like arrow said memorization...i took my outlines and just started retyping them over and over and over and over....doing little sections at a time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 pm 

Archived Posts: 447
i approach them all the same way: even if it's open book, you should only look at any notes maybe once or twice during the exam just to check something. the exam isn't the time to be flipping around trying to remember stuff.

just learn it -- you don't want to be dependent on having to find stuff during a timed exam. but, i suppose the "memorization" tips are on target. do practice exams without your notes, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:22 am 

Archived Posts: 2082
Another trick, when the exam starts just spit your outline from memory on the paper as quick as you can. Helped me out in CivPro a shit ton.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:55 am 

Archived Posts: 68
Do an outline and memorize the shit out of it. Also, do some hypos. Consider yourself lucky to have a closed book exams. They're notoriously easier than open book exams. I've found my closed book exams to be a lot more obvious. With open book exams, I felt the need to literally write my entire outline out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:51 am 

Archived Posts: 532
ok2bedifferent wrote:
Do an outline and memorize the shit out of it. Also, do some hypos. Consider yourself lucky to have a closed book exams. They're notoriously easier than open book exams. I've found my closed book exams to be a lot more obvious. With open book exams, I felt the need to literally write my entire outline out.

Agreed. If you know the material well you shouldn't have to look at your outline anyways during an exam, and the closed book exam will likely not be quite as difficult. For Ks I had closed-book last semester, I had a 10 page outline I memorized using flash cards, practiced hypos I could find and read through a commercial outline thoroughly, it worked well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:34 am 

Archived Posts: 945
It all depends on how much time you will have on the exam as well. In a class where time will be really tight you probably want to memorize to the point where you can just recite you outline verbatim as fast as you can talk (because this is about how fast your going to need to type). Other classes you can just memorize rules well enough that you can just sit there for a few seconds and re-read your outline in your head and then write it, and then apply it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]