Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 


Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:01 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am
Archived Posts: 490
I was wondering if the letter below would suffice as a request for a fee waiver. I am a splitter GPA=2.98 and LSAT = 175 so I am applying to a lot of schools. Any suggestions to make it better?

Dear sir or ma'am,
I will be applying to the YOUR Law School for admission in the Fall of 2010. I would like to apply for a fee waiver. My LSAC # is L123456789.
The reason that I am asking for a fee waiver is that I have been a little short of cash lately. I have eighteen year old twins who both started college this fall. They received financial aid but the additional costs of clothes, transportation, food, etc. has been expensive. Please consider granting me an application fee waiver.

Thank you,
Older Applicant


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:05 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm
Archived Posts: 480
I'd include my GPA and LSAT score. Instead of "a little short on cash" I would put something like "Application fees present a substantial financial burden and I hope to be able to defray this cost if possible" (got this from another thread on this forum) and then give your reasons.

Edit: Just as a side note, if you are applying for a merit based waver you should mention that because otherwise law schools will direct you to their need based waiver applications.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:33 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am
Archived Posts: 490
Thanks I'll mention the merit based fee waiver too and make the change you suggested.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:38 am 

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm
Archived Posts: 386
I think you're confused about fee waivers. Asking for fee waivers like your prompt is almost invariably the format for requesting merit-based fee waivers. If you want a need-based waiver (the only time you should discuss money), and you don't qualify for an LSAC waiver, most law schools have fee waiver request forms, and you won't need to write to them.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:40 am 

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm
Archived Posts: 135
Honestly I think your request is a bit crude. I sent out about a dozen fee waiver requests and found that the best way to get one is to make it sound like they're the school for you. I mentioned certain aspects, programs, clinics, etc. I was excited to be involved in and that I needed a little bit of help in applying to their school. Do some research. Mention your GPA and LSAT and then go into a little bit of detail about why they are your number one choice (even if they're not).

You have no idea how receptive adcoms were to my requests. W&M, Wake, Emory, and Stetson all responded with personal emails giving the waiver code, encouraging me to apply to their schools, and describing the programs I mentioned I was interested in.

The more personalized your request the better. I'm guessing they receive an assload of generic "please help me because of X" emails and they aren't really impressed. If you can show them that you are genuinely interested in their school, you have a much better shot.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:19 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am
Archived Posts: 490
Halibut,
Thanks for the feedback. I asked for both merit based and need based in the letters so far. For the ones that had a specific form, I've printed the form. At my old age I am not going to ask my parents for their financial information, which most of these forms request. So I am playing both angles here -need based and merit based. About one third of the schools I've checked out have a specific form.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:29 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am
Archived Posts: 1747
Oli wrote:
I'd include my GPA and LSAT score. Instead of "a little short on cash" I would put something like "Application fees present a substantial financial burden and I hope to be able to defray this cost if possible" (got this from another thread on this forum) and then give your reasons.

Edit: Just as a side note, if you are applying for a merit based waver you should mention that because otherwise law schools will direct you to their need based waiver applications.


+1 for this.

Some schools may just give you their need-based form anyway. But others will give you a waiver, or tell you that you don't qualify for a merit-based waiver.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am
Archived Posts: 1747
btw, you should definitely include your LSAT & GPA (along with your LSAC #)


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am
Archived Posts: 432
GatorBait09 wrote:
Honestly I think your request is a bit crude. I sent out about a dozen fee waiver requests and found that the best way to get one is to make it sound like they're the school for you. I mentioned certain aspects, programs, clinics, etc. I was excited to be involved in and that I needed a little bit of help in applying to their school. Do some research. Mention your GPA and LSAT and then go into a little bit of detail about why they are your number one choice (even if they're not).

You have no idea how receptive adcoms were to my requests. W&M, Wake, Emory, and Stetson all responded with personal emails giving the waiver code, encouraging me to apply to their schools, and describing the programs I mentioned I was interested in.

The more personalized your request the better. I'm guessing they receive an assload of generic "please help me because of X" emails and they aren't really impressed. If you can show them that you are genuinely interested in their school, you have a much better shot.


No offense to how you sent your request, but most ppl I know who requested waivers from the first three were given them, no matter how "crude" the request.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm
Archived Posts: 229
.


Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:15 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm
Archived Posts: 88
njskatchmo wrote:
I wish I found this thread earlier. I sent a similar message earlier, I have stats well worthy of most fee waivers, and I explained how I am dead broke. All responses only focused on my need based request. They completely ignored my merit based request. I am emailed all top 15 (except UVA and UCLA) and only got a a waiver from duke and michigan (michigan only gave it to me after a second email). They all told me to send in need based applications, which took forever to fill out an compile all the paperwork.


Would you mind sharing or PMing your numbers?

I haven't tried fee waiver requests for t14, wondering if it'd be worth the effort...


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 pm
Archived Posts: 135
sharthree wrote:
GatorBait09 wrote:
Honestly I think your request is a bit crude. I sent out about a dozen fee waiver requests and found that the best way to get one is to make it sound like they're the school for you. I mentioned certain aspects, programs, clinics, etc. I was excited to be involved in and that I needed a little bit of help in applying to their school. Do some research. Mention your GPA and LSAT and then go into a little bit of detail about why they are your number one choice (even if they're not).

You have no idea how receptive adcoms were to my requests. W&M, Wake, Emory, and Stetson all responded with personal emails giving the waiver code, encouraging me to apply to their schools, and describing the programs I mentioned I was interested in.

The more personalized your request the better. I'm guessing they receive an assload of generic "please help me because of X" emails and they aren't really impressed. If you can show them that you are genuinely interested in their school, you have a much better shot.


No offense to how you sent your request, but most ppl I know who requested waivers from the first three were given them, no matter how "crude" the request.


Fair enough. Obviously it doesn't matter what you say if you end up getting it. I just always took the approach that buttering them up without being completely ridiculous would be more successful than saying things like "short of cash" and using the imperative, "please consider."


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:56 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm
Archived Posts: 229
.


Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:05 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm
Archived Posts: 1087
MURPH wrote:
I was wondering if the letter below would suffice as a request for a fee waiver. I am a splitter GPA=2.98 and LSAT = 175 so I am applying to a lot of schools. Any suggestions to make it better?

Dear sir or ma'am,
I will be applying to the YOUR Law School for admission in the Fall of 2010. I would like to apply for a fee waiver. My LSAC # is L123456789.
The reason that I am asking for a fee waiver is that I have been a little short of cash lately. I have eighteen year old twins who both started college this fall. They received financial aid but the additional costs of clothes, transportation, food, etc. has been expensive. Please consider granting me an application fee waiver.

Thank you,
Older Applicant


--Hyphenate "eighteen-year-old twins." Otherwsie, it could sound as though you have eighteen (one) year old twins.

--Use a synonym for "cash."

Good luck!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:08 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm
Archived Posts: 229
.


Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:10 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am
Archived Posts: 432
GatorBait09 wrote:
sharthree wrote:
GatorBait09 wrote:
Honestly I think your request is a bit crude. I sent out about a dozen fee waiver requests and found that the best way to get one is to make it sound like they're the school for you. I mentioned certain aspects, programs, clinics, etc. I was excited to be involved in and that I needed a little bit of help in applying to their school. Do some research. Mention your GPA and LSAT and then go into a little bit of detail about why they are your number one choice (even if they're not).

You have no idea how receptive adcoms were to my requests. W&M, Wake, Emory, and Stetson all responded with personal emails giving the waiver code, encouraging me to apply to their schools, and describing the programs I mentioned I was interested in.

The more personalized your request the better. I'm guessing they receive an assload of generic "please help me because of X" emails and they aren't really impressed. If you can show them that you are genuinely interested in their school, you have a much better shot.


No offense to how you sent your request, but most ppl I know who requested waivers from the first three were given them, no matter how "crude" the request.


Fair enough. Obviously it doesn't matter what you say if you end up getting it. I just always took the approach that buttering them up without being completely ridiculous would be more successful than saying things like "short of cash" and using the imperative, "please consider."


Def agreed to have a better format...I just wanted to give the OP a heads up that for some schools she can just submit the standard request.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:17 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am
Archived Posts: 1747
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
--Hyphenate "eighteen-year-old twins." Otherwsie, it could sound as though you have eighteen (one) year old twins.

:lol: :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sample fee waiver request
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:30 pm 

Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm
Archived Posts: 252
MURPH wrote:
Dear sir or ma'am


I would say "madam," not "ma'am"


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]






copyright 2003-2010 top-law-schools.com • all rights reserved • powered by phpBBContact TLS