Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Samples of Addendum to Transcripts?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm 

Archived Posts: 93
Any one have a sample of an Addendum to Transcripts you could post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:47 pm 

Archived Posts: 2244
What do you need to explain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:48 pm 

Archived Posts: 838
Bad grades? Soliciting a prostitute? Possession with the attempt to distribute? Aggravated assault?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:49 pm 

Archived Posts: 2439
sounds like a pretty good friday night...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:50 pm 

Archived Posts: 93
Lots of courses in little time and a GPA that relfects it (2.88 Cumulative and 3.14 last 60 hrs with a 25 month volunteer service between the AS and BS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:02 pm 

Archived Posts: 99
Here's the addendum that I sent to schools to explain a lower GPA, hope it helps.

During my second year of college while I was attending **** College and ***** College my grades did not fully demonstrate my potential as a law school student. I moved back home and worked for about 30 hours a week to help my parents who were both going through financial difficulties. In addition to this I did not take my classes seriously because I was genuinely considering taking some time off from school to figure out what exactly I wanted to do with my life. In addition to that year, my first quarter at the University of California, San Diego was also well below my potential as a student. Although I was not working nearly as many hours as I was the previous year I was getting used to living in a new city where I did not know anyone and I was adjusting to being on the quarter system instead of the semester system. I am aware that the admission committee has much experience evaluating applications but I wanted to provide a little more context for the evaluation of this portion of my transcript.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm 

Archived Posts: 1657
Dear Admissions Committee,

Please consider the low grades I received in my second year in the following light: the night before exam week I sollicited a prositute, ended up spending the night in a police cell, missing out on valuable study time. I'm sure you understand.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Bates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm 

New, you are wonderful and amazing. Do you mind if I plagiarize you? I need an explanation for what happened... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:29 pm 

Archived Posts: 2439
you forgot the rest...solicited and assaulted, while in possession and intending to distribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:32 pm 

It was a rough night, non. I don't like to go into it in too much detail if I can avoid it. It would cover all of my arrests and bad grade addenda in one message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:11 pm 

Archived Posts: 332
What do you think, do you think it is good to have, "moving to a new city" as a reason for doing poorly? I would think the adcomm would think, "they will probably be moving to a new city when they come to our school, will it happen again?"

Just a thought. I heard that addendum should only be about stuff that would most likely never happen again. For instance, I was working 40 hours a week would be a good one because hopefull you will never work fourty hours a week in law school. Or, my mother died, as that probably will not happen more than once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:13 pm 

Archived Posts: 2244
Quote:
What do you think, do you think it is good to have, "moving to a new city" as a reason for doing poorly? I would think the adcomm would think, "they will probably be moving to a new city when they come to our school, will it happen again?

I agree. Only write an addendum if you have a very good excuse. Death in the family or family medical emergency is a good one. The typical "new place/new school/new job" excuses don't work as well, since everybody goes through them and you should presumably be able to weather things of this nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:34 am 

Archived Posts: 24
I had pneumonia during the LSAT :( does that count?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]